Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Europe no longer taking seal products

thought I'd share this email I received. Hope its in the right place

https://community.hsus.org/humane/no...er_id=33335181

Dear Friend,

We just achieved a landmark victory for the seals!

Today, the European Parliament made history when it voted overwhelmingly to ban trade in seal products. This vote means that all three European Union (EU) institutions -- the Commission, the Council, and the Parliament -- are now in agreement, and seal products will no longer be placed on the market within the EU.

Europe has been a primary market for Canadian seal products, and many believe this ban spells the beginning of the end of the slaughter!

We would not have won this victory without your help. Your letters, phone calls, faxes and emails have shown that Canadians care deeply about the seals, and that we support nations' ending their trade in seal products.

We know that closing markets saves seals’ lives. Just the prospect of an EU ban on seal product trade was enough to drive the prices for seal fur down to just $15 per skin this year -- a decline of 86 percent since 2006. Many sealers chose not to hunt seals this year as a result -- and to date, out of a quota of 338,200 seals, just 57,622 have been killed. It is likely that when the seal hunt officially ends on 15 May, a quarter of a million seals will have been spared a horrible death. Now that the EU has banned its trade in seal products, countless more seals will live out their lives in peace from this year forward.

On our trips to the ice, Humane Society International/Canada has brought key opinion shapers such as Paul McCartney and Swedish Member of the European Parliament Carl Schlyter. After their trips, neither has wavered in speaking out against the hunt. Shortly after his trip to the ice, Schlyter drafted the first version of today’s EU ban. Our hunt footage was directly responsible for convincing the rest of the EU to agree to the ban. It gives me enormous satisfaction to know that we haven’t just documented the hunt, we have made history.

But even as we celebrate this amazing victory, we must remain vigilant. Because there is every chance the sealing industry will develop new markets. The only solution is a strong law in Canada to stop commercial seal hunting, and we need it now.

The great news is that Canadian Senator Mac Harb has introduced the first bill in Canadian history to end the commercial seal hunt. And while it will be hard to turn this bill into law, with your support, we can do it. Please join us as we finally put an end to the cruel slaughter of baby seals. Become a monthly supporter of HSI Canada and help us keep the pressure on the government. We are thrilled by our success in passing this ban today, but there is still more to be done.

We are so close to putting this cruelty in the history books where it belongs -- thank you for being a part of this historic campaign to save the seals. I know we can count on you to stay with us as we bring a final end to Canada's commercial seal slaughter.

Celebrating this moment,

Rebecca Aldworth
Director
Humane Society International/Canada
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Remembering Lukka

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:59 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I was about to post this, thanks Melinda. WTG to all who wrote opposing the Seal Hunt. Together we CAN make a difference
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for sharing.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,that's great newsbut there still is the Asian market,mainly China,they'll cheer if they can get the pelts for $15 each.
However,it's a huge step in the right direction,thank's Melinda!
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

That's wonderful news. Hopefully other nations will follow!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:05 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Considering we are a civilized country this barbaric slaughter is such an embarrassement to humanity.

Why they call it a hunt ... it's a cull and it demonstrates failure in govertment = they should be upgrading resources to develop effective management strategies that recongnize the rights of seals to live free from human interference all the whille put our tax dollars into educating and creating jobs for the 21st Century.

There are 6.5 Billion people on this earth perhaps WE need to start looking at reducing our own population, consumption and needs before we start to control other species

Please sign Senator Harbs Seal Bill
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

very very well said Goldengirls!! if seals are lowering the fish population...there has to be a way to slow down the reproductive system of the seals...wouldn't be the first time something like that has been done.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

The whole notion of this barbaric practice being that it is 'culling' the numbers of seals is ridiculous. Culling wildlife never focuses on killing the young, but rather on reducing the numbers of females of breeding age. This isn't about culling, this is about the almighty dollar.

I hope that this ban sets an example for the rest of the world to follow suit.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
very very well said Goldengirls!! if seals are lowering the fish population...there has to be a way to slow down the reproductive system of the seals...wouldn't be the first time something like that has been done.
I have a huge problem with the lowering of the fish population being blamed on the seals. Humans are over fishing the oceans, it's been said time and time again. The Japanese are having to fish further outside of their waters because they have practically over fished their own waters.

HUMANS are the problem, NOT the seals.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

exactly ancientgirl, but thats what the clubbers use for an excuse year after year.......you noticed I used the word "IF"
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
exactly ancientgirl, but thats what the clubbers use for an excuse year after year.......you noticed I used the word "IF"
Yes, I find people who usually know they are doing the wrong thing, always like to make excuses. It makes it more convenient for them.

Old May 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

So we were once laughed at! Goes to show that persistance, dedication and education does work. I could not be happier.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
-

I agree with all of you but now the Canadian government is challenging the EU and taking this issue to the WTO .....

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/C...814/story.html
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

You mean to tell me that a country is not allowed to ban a product even if it is considered unethical to them?

How about then China wanting to import dog or cat meat? How come we do not accept products of leather or fur deriving from domestic animals then? There was no science offered. The only difference I can see here is that we never intentionally imported these products and therefore were 'unassuming consumers...(for the fur products anyways).

Regardless, very interesting. So this will be an arguement for whale, shark fins and countless other animals.

Unbelieveable.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,Russia is not part of the European Union and Russia as well as China are the biggest importers of seal-fur.
We all know,there are no holds barred for China,be it shark-fins,bear-bladders,cats,dogs and anything edible and exploited,really.
But it is one giant step for our seals,a step in the right direction
Seals also have many natural predators,such as whales,polar-bears,other seals,let nature take it's course..
Who are we to say there are too many of any living thing,we allow the Japanese to kill thousands of Whales every year,some who are in danger of extinction.
I just watched a show,where they said the Ivory-trade is legal again,thousands of elephants are being butchered once again,the biggest buyer being China,nuf said,or I'll start ranting...
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Definately a step in the right direction; there's no excuse for animal abuse, greed certainly is not an excuse; look at puppy millers, dog fighters . . . Both of which also play the "culture" card. I recall people were saying it was "racist" that Vick was being targeted as an animal abuser, just because he happens to be black.

If they want money, they should go ahead with (well thought out and environmentally friendly) eco tourism. It is a huge industry that rakes in millions of dollars instead of thousands.

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; May 5th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

A correction to my post,Russia banned the import of Baby-seal-furs,but clubbing a 1yr old seal is no less inhumane.
I am really ashamed of our government trying to fight this ban,they should use that energy trying to get the yearly"hunters"another way to earn money.
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM
An Honest Contributor

They did not ban baby seal furs, the ban is of whitecoats in which moulting begins between 1-12 days old. The majority of this slaugher is pups under one month old as their easy prey :sad: If sealers were to slaughter adults, that would be a hunt because they'd take off into the water.

The anti-sealing advocates won over the hearts of all the 27-member governments of the EU who are expected to endorse this ban in June ... 550 in favour to 49 against. Misleading footage (according to Gail Shea/Minst-F&O) who quoted saying the ban was based on emotions not facts LOL

The fact IS this was a "sweeping public opinion" and the vast majority of provinces are on board despite the objections of at least one premier Newfoundland & Labrador's Danny Williams.

The EU ban takes into account both the traditional Inuit hunt and hunting for the purpose of conserving depleted cod stocks.

Int'l Trade Minister Stockwell Day quotes Canada and Norway will contest (which will cost millions with little hope) before the WTO in the hopes of exempting Canada & Norway on the grounds that the seal hunt in Altantic Canada is humane and sustainable

I'd like to hear now how it's only about their population since it will no longer be profitable perhaps they'd now consider a humane way to control their population since they need not worry about the $2 per pelt that gets deducted per bullet

One thought, why not drop birth control pellets onto the ice where the breeding females all lay out in season meanwhile the fishermen will have to find another way to support their families when in their "off season"

Mom_of_Two_Dogs Eco-Tourism - brilliant!

Last edited by Golden Girls; May 7th, 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

It's never as good as it sounds....

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper has vowed to "vigorously defend" the Canadian sealing industry from the effects of a sweeping European ban on seal products that could come into effect by the fall."
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I think I am right in saying,a majority of Canadians do not want theseal-"hunt" to continue,I wish for once Harper would listen to the people
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:17 AM
An Honest Contributor

Chico you are 100% right the majority of Canadian do not feel this slaughter should continue. There is just NO need for such products as seal-pelt coats, very few eat the meat and Omega 3 oils can be gotten from other animals in the food chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
It's never as good as it sounds...."Prime Minister Stephen Harper has vowed to "vigorously defend" the Canadian sealing industry from the effects of a sweeping European ban on seal products that could come into effect by the fall."
Surprisingly NOT but it's ridiculous to even think to challenge the EU We are such a small country (33M) and are in NO position to challenge countries of the EU (300 M) with trade reprisals. The EU is Canada's second-largest trading partner worth over 33 Billion Dollars ... we will be the losers!

Sure Canada has a Seal Protection Act (which protects sealers) but why do you think the USA has been allowed to continue it's ban of seal products which was endorsed in '72 DESPITE the WTA? This was done under the US Marine Mammal Protection Act.

The EU will use the The General Agreement of Trade & Tarriff Act (GATT)Article XX General Exemptions (a) which allows trade bans based on public morality.

that this closes the loophole