Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM

New to site with question

Hi all,

I'm Nesy with 2 boston terriers, 2 cats, 2 finches and a freshwater aquarium (I love my animal family!)

I'm new to this site and wonder if anyone has an answer to the following:

My youngest boston terrier is 9 months old and has one erect ear and one totally flopping. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? Is she lacking something, maybe a vitamin deficiency?

Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

HI and welcome to the board!!

Puppie's ears often do crazy things before they stand up for good. Your pup's ears will probably stand, but possibly not and it's no big deal.
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I absolutely love it when one ear stands and the other flops! It just seems to impart that "personality plus" look! Like a mischievous little puppy look!
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't quote me on this, but I believe when they are teething the ears do funny things.... and then stop when the teething stops.

Anyone else heard of this?( of course if everyone's heard of this just punch me....lol no patience for those who state the obvious!! )
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:51 PM

I know that is true with chihuahuas. If their ears are not standing wait until after they are teething and they will most likely stand. I know with Ozzy his ears were one down one up until he was about 10 months old and then both stood up.. now he looks like Dumbo.
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I remember when I asked the same about my chi... Someone told me to give her lots of chew toys. I did that and now her ears are up and she too looks like Dumbo! I don't remember who responded to my post but they said the muscle between their ears on top of the head has to be worked because that makes the ears stand up. When they chew on different toys it works the muscle and the ears start to stand until they are all the way up..
Old February 21st, 2005, 04:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Nesy .....welcome.

You will learn something new every day here.....I just learned that my german shepherds ears may stand up after all.....lol she is just a pup of 6 months and I was wondering why they weren't standing at attention
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone....

Thanks everyone for the great information and comments. .

The chew toy suggestion sounds very logical, exercising her chewing would also excercise the muscles in their ears. She does have a lot of chew toys so hopefully that will help.

It was up for a short time, but then fell and has stayed down since. Though she is adorable in either event, I would love to see both ears stay up just because it gives her such a sweet expression! See for yourself....
Attached Images

Old February 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's definitely cuter with lopsided ears!
Yes teething (or dental problems) can make ears wonky and lopsided. Some people massage the ears to stregnthen the cartilege but I don't know the technique.
Did you clean the floor specially for the photo just to make me feel guilty?
Old February 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM
banned user

They are cute!!! I don't think I've ever seen a brown boston terrier... I too like the lopsided ears! :love:
Old February 21st, 2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWilson9498
I remember when I asked the same about my chi... Someone told me to give her lots of chew toys. I did that and now her ears are up and she too looks like Dumbo! I don't remember who responded to my post but they said the muscle between their ears on top of the head has to be worked because that makes the ears stand up. When they chew on different toys it works the muscle and the ears start to stand until they are all the way up..
That would be me!

If you put your hands on the top of a dog's head, when they're chewing, you can feel the muscle moving. The more they chew, the more likely it is their ears will stand. If it's a dog that is more apt to have floppy ears, no amount of chewing will help.

Ears will stand, drop, stand, drop, stand for days, drop for weeks, stand for a month, drop for days....no rhyme or reason to it.
I was very lucky....Diamond's ears only dropped a couple of times...but she chews A LOT.

Don't worry about your dog looking like it's ears are out of proportion....it'll grow into them!
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ears do not make the kid. Even Prince Charles is loved by someone.

(Sorry if I offended anyone, took advantage of current events and I had to say it)

One ear up or one ear down..same thing right? Anyways, the personality will be the same. Some find it more endearing.
Teething puppies of all breeds are known to have katywampus ears.

Either way, your pup never looks at them and should not be bothered by how they look. *unless he get's teased at school*
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my! What's that colour called? Seal? I"ve never seen a Boston like that. Your dogs are just gorgeous!

Agree that the floppy ear makes her cuter, if that's possible.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Great looking dogs

I also didn't know they came in brown. Very cute.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM

Love reading your replies!

Thank you everyone! I too think they are both beautiful! and love to read all your comments!

If I have researched correctly, Ruby (my brown boston) is derived from the seal colour although she is much lighter than the standard as true seal is actually such a deep dark shade that it almost appears black with a red cast to it, so while my Ruby would never meet the Breed Standard to be accepted in a show ring, she'll always be perfect in my eyes! Along with her partner in crime Mickey!

P.S. To Carina, don't let that photo fool you! a broader view of that floor would actually show all the doggy footprints that I managed to keep out of the pic by taking it on an angle!
Attached Images

Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww.... :love: :love:
I learned something about Bostons today! I had no clue they even came in brown, let alone it was a "correct" colour.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:38 PM

Well see Diamond, I may not have remembered your name but I did remember your advice and it worked! Tiny's ears took forever but once they both made it up, neither have fallen back down... Yet... She is totally nuts these days. All she does is bounce off the walls. The other day she barked for the first time in a mirror my daughter has and it scared the pure hell out of her! She took off running and hid under the couch for hours!
I've never seen the brown boston either, but I think it's really gorgeous. I think the "odd balls" are the cutest lil dogs. Either way, ears up or down they're always cuties! It just gives them their own personality trait ya know..
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

They are both wonderful looking dogs,you must be very proud :love: Do they get along good with the cats??
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM

They get along great with the cats! My two cats were both 5 years old when we brought Mickey home (he'll be 3 in May). Like any puppies, they'll chase the cats but once they mature, they pretty much ignore them.

My larger cat Fluffy is very big (18 lbs) and was queen of the house long before the dogs arrived and she hasn't changed her opinion one bit! They'll bark at her or do their little play dance around her but she stares them down and will even hit them on the head if they get too close, it's really funny to watch! They both give her a LOT of respect.

My 2nd cat Sarah is quite small (only 8 lbs) so while Mickey doesn't bother her, Ruby (being the puppy she is), will chase her a bit but I know that will settle down eventually, just as it did with Mickey.

You can see pics of all of them at the following links:

http://www.dogster.com/?65508
http://www.dogster.com/?65512
http://www.catster.com/?80476
http://www.catster.com/?80479
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

All really cute! I hope Sarah doesn't dive into that fish tank! She looks like she's thinking about it! And Fluffy doesn't seem large in the photos until the one of the two together. Then you can tell.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Ooheee, that Fluffy is a large cat!
We just had a Dogster thread on the forum....here's Cooper's:
http://dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=84...6c83dccde5111c
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:43 PM

What a beautiful dog Cooper is! I did a doubletake when I saw the breed name though! I did not know you could get a long haired rottweiler, so I also learned something today. It looks great on him though, what a handsome fella! And the pic with the chihuahua is just too cute!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

It is a non-standard coat and considered a "disqualifying" fault.
However since I don't show in conformation, or breed, I don't care.
Thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM

You have very cute dogs!!! I too never saw a boston terrier that color. I love the floppy ear.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously this little doggie LUVS chew toys!!!
Attached Images

Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:06 PM

LMAO@Bassett Hound Pic
And to answer your question, Yes, teething does affect the ears standing. And Yes, you can do something about it. Tape it. Using breathable medical tape you clean ear first, then simply stand the ear and tape around it at the point that it flops. Wrap a couple times to make it stiff and leave it for a few days. Remove tape, clean ear, and tape again. Do this till teething settles down and it will stand on it's own(if the ear leather is strong enough)

This method will help to keep the cartilage from folding. As it thickens it will be held in the proper position to stand.

*Do not tape tight! you dont want to interupt circulation and loose the ear tip!

Good Luck, they are very cute