Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Crafts

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Question Transfering Digital Photos To Material

Anyone ever do this? I'd like to enlarge and transfer several photos on to material that I could stretch over a wooden canvas-type frame. One of them I'd like to be at least 4 feet wide.

Does anyone know of a company who can do something like this?
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think the technique you're thinking of is called giclee. Around here, print shops or photography stores will do them (or arrange to have them done for you). I'm sure if you call around, you'll be able to find a company. I've seen some really stunning portraits done that way!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Doggie Wench

"Giclee," cool! Off to look that up.

Thank you .
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

There's an accent over the first E but I don't know which kind

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Doggie Wench

Accent "aigue" .

I looked it up and found it's mostly transferring onto canvas (like painters' canvas) which does sound interesting but I was actually looking into transferring onto a cloth type material to stretch over a canvas frame . Something like silkscreening maybe? But really large scale. I don't even know if something like that exists .
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
there's an accent over the first e but i don't know which kind
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
accent "aigue" :d.
יייייייייייייייייייייייי

:d
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hmmmm...silkscreening might not work for something as intricate as a photo...simpler designs usually work better.

Artists' canvas comes in a variety of weights--I have some medium weight duck in the closet that I stretch over a frame, jesso, and paint on You might want to start with a company that does giclee and ask about lighter weight canvas. If they don't work with the lighter fabric, they may know someone who does. If photo images can be transfered to t-shirts, there must be a way to do it, and someone who has the equipment to handle it!

Doggie Wench

Oy, and I even spelled "aigu" wrong .
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
יייייייייייייייייייייייי

:d
Yes! But only one!

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

LP you could get the Costco Dog bed and remove the stuffing and stretch the fabric yourself! They actually can take your digital photo and transfer to the doggie bed! its cool!

How big are you talking?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Doggie Wench

I'll certainly look into it Hazel. I want to do something a little different than just simply framed photos for our living room wall. It's been almost a year since we've moved and I've yet to add a decorative touch .

Hazel, you paint??? Do you do portraits from photos ?
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Doggie Wench

Winston, it's something I've been wanting to do for years now but never got around to it. Your thread about the doggie beds reminded me. One in particular I'd like at the very least 4-5 feet wide. The rest don't really matter, various sizes but 10x14 the smallest.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Live well, laugh often

You could also consider contacting a sign making company. I used to do some work for one and they did some stuff like that .
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Doggie Wench

You mean like billboards Teri?
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM
-

so spill the beans LP , which picture and what will you do with it exactly ?
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Hazel, you paint??? Do you do portraits from photos ?
I used to, on both counts.

Now ask me if I was any good at it.

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Live well, laugh often

That kind of company. They usually make everything from posters, billboards, automobile signs etc.

Here is the company I did some work for and they do "large format digital printing" which is what I think you are looking for. They should have similar stores in Montreal.
http://www.fastsigns.com/
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Yeah, LP! Inquiring minds want to know!

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
I was thinking of one with Lucky, Penny, and Ava in our yard early this summer. I think in black and white would be cool...but really huge so you have to step back to take a good look at it...it would be awesome if it took up at least half the living room wall. Then I'd like some more of all the dogs that have come through our home...sorta like a pet wall but I don't want framed photos...just something a little different... I have weird taste . That's why our walls are bare .

Were you any good at it Hazel ?
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
-

Good idea but ... don't forget , if you do this on fabric , you'll have to vacuum it

black and white
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
I was thinking of one with Lucky, Penny, and Ava in our yard early this summer. I think in black and white would be cool...but really huge so you have to step back to take a good look at it...it would be awesome if it took up at least half the living room wall. Then I'd like some more of all the dogs that have come through our home...sorta like a pet wall but I don't want framed photos...just something a little different... I have weird taste . That's why our walls are bare .
You could also consider having someone paint a mural from the pic .
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Live well, laugh often

I was considering a similar thing but I was worried that the size I needed would distort the picture. I now think that I am gonna get a huge frame and print a bunch of my fav b&w shots of the dogs from the beach and arrange them in the frame.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:

Were you any good at it Hazel ?
Not really

That being said, though, have you thought of a mural on the wall? Remember those patterns I made that meg's Dad scroll sawed? How about a pattern like that -- black and white, transferred to your wall. Paint in the dark areas and leave the wall color for the light areas. It would be pretty easy

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Doggie Wench

That sounds like a neat idea too Teri.

I don't really mind distorted I don't think...as long as I can differentiate between the dogs. I've seen something like it somewhere many many years ago...in a bar maybe , I'm not quite sure but it looked fabulous.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
That being said, though, have you thought of a mural on the wall? Remember those patterns I made that meg's Dad scroll sawed? How about a pattern like that -- black and white, transferred to your wall. Paint in the dark areas and leave the wall color for the light areas. It would be pretty easy
YES!!! That would be neat!!! But on material, or canvas....and HUGE .

I'd need to figure out how to make the pattern though . I'm sure I'm much less talented than you....like no talent at all .
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I could make a pattern--but it would only be the size of a standard sheet of paper. I make it from a blow-up of the photo so I'm limited by the size of my printer.

However, once you have a pattern, a printer might be able to enlarge it and silk-screen the pattern on the fabric of your choice.

If you just painted a mural, you could grid the pattern and the wall off and just transfer the image square by square. Easy-peasy.

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Doggie Wench

Can you draw a pattern on a plastic whatchamacallit? You know, that goes on a projector? Like the ones way back when in grade school (do they still use those things?)?

I'm good at tracing .
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I suppose I could. You mean like the projectors that they used to put math problems up on the screen in school? You'd get a lot of distortion that way, though.

Hmmm....when is aslan visiting next?

Old September 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
You mean like the projectors that they used to put math problems up on the screen in school?
Yep, 'cept I remember it in Grade 2's "decoding" class .

Quote:
You'd get a lot of distortion that way, though.
Really? I remember the teacher being able to make the print larger but she did spend 5 minutes or so of class time trying to focus (omg, I just remembered the teacher....she was soooo mean ).
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Can you draw a pattern on a plastic whatchamacallit? You know, that goes on a projector? Like the ones way back when in grade school (do they still use those things?)?

I'm good at tracing .
Hmmmm, couldn't you just skip that step and use the digital pic on the wall using a powerpoint (or similar) presentation and a projector?