Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 10th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Nail Trimming Drama

Happy Monday all. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Tinkerbell (my black lab) graduated from obedience class yesterday - complete with a graduation cap! Before we went to class we decided to trim her nails. My husband bribed her with treats and I cut away. Unfortunately I cut her quick and she started to bleed. I got out the corn starch and we stopped the bleeding quickly. When we got to class it opened up again and after a few tense minutes in the lobby we fixed her up. I'm not too interested in cutting her nails again and don't want to start spending money that could be used for dog toys on groomers.

Our trainer mentioned something about a Dremel attachment you can buy for nail trimming that files down the nails. I've read a few reviews online and people seem to like it. Amazingly it's not too loud either!

I'm wondering if anyone here has used this. Thanks!
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

My groomer charges 15.00 per dog (I have 2) to do a nail grind that doesn't require an appointment - I can just drop in (and did so this morning). Honestly I find that kind of money well worth it since in the long run, my dogs aren't afraid of me handling their paws, I don't run the risk of cutting them and they love their groomer tons.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the obedience school!!

Many people love the dremel.

You can read all about it's use in detail here:
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...awn/index.html

The link is on the lower left.
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'd think you'd have to be super careful using a Dremel. I used to get artificial nails done all the time, and I can remember that if the nail tech used too much pressure, it felt like my entire nail was on fire!

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I am a liscensed nail tech and if you aren't careful you can cause a lot of heat from the friction which will burn. I would suggest getting the dogs nails trimmed once so you can see the proper length and then maintaining with the dremel every week or so. That way you only have to use it for a quick touch up versus trying to shave the nail down. I clip my dog every other week but he also only weighs 7.5lbs. I swaddle him in a blanket leaving the paw I am working on out and it has really helped. Also nails are softer when they are wet. Try clipping right after a bath.
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I've finally won the nail clippin' battle with mine. It used to be big drama, now it's small drama. Her nails are black, so I can't see the quick, but my trainer explained - just a tiny bit each week. I stick by this, as we haven't had any accidents this way. I also use force and win, or she will keep struggling. When she struggles, I bark loudly. She gets a raw bone after the ordeal. She doesn't struggle much anymore.