Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 13th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Leaving puppy alone for first time..

Monday is fast approaching and im nervous about leaving Farley alone for the first time.

We tried to crate him before as a trial run and he freaked out and broke through. As lucky rescue mentioned i think its probably because of his recent experience with the Humane Society. I also did some online reading and realize that he has seperation anxiety. Every time i leave the house he digs at the door , we have major scratches on our hardwood now and hes actually managed to work the side molding of the door frame a little lose .

Ive left his crate open all day and he is starting to associate it with an ok place to be. Im not closing it anymore as i dont want to spook him.

I have the following options for Monday and need help on making the choice:

1. We could get a gate and confine him to the kitchen. I would put his crate in there with some toys , treats and his food. Im worried hes going to break through the gate though.

2. We could give him run of of the main floor. I would partion off the stairs and put everything up out of his reach. Negatives would be the clawing at the door and the possibility that he *might* destroy our furniture. We left him alone for an hour when he first came home and he didnt really destroy anything he basically just messed things up that we didnt put away. So im thinking he might be okay with this?

3. Just give him full run of the house and close all the doors to the bedrooms etc.. on the 2nd and 3rd floor.

Im kinding thinking that he might be the type of dog that just freaks at any type of confinement due to his past experiences. His previous owner apparently just kept him tied up outside all the time with his brothers, sisters and moms .

I realize its going to be trial and error but im hoping to hit the nail on the head on my first attempt . Any suggestions of which option seems best ?

Thanks ,

Katherine
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Chocolate

1, 1 , 1!!

number 1!!

BUT, i would recommand u keep the crate in one consistant place for now... so that the outside environment looks familiar... warm, and invited, and welcoming... not foreign, know what i mean?

and chances are 0 to 0.00001 that ur dog'll escape from the crate. mine NEVER did, LMAO.

don't fret! but MAKE SURE u do NOT over stimulate the dog once u come back into the house... u want to REDUCE separation anxiety. and in order to do that, u must reduce the extremes in environment btw the dog being and away from u versus being in ur company.
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:36 PM

Dont let him have the chance to go at the furniture because chances are - he will!!!!

lol @ Waggie... I do agree, #1 is the best thing to do. The kitchen would be the best place because hey, if he does have an accident, its an easier clean up

Ive seen a picture of ur pup and i suggest making sure that the gate is sure as hell sturdy!! .................. oh blah.. i just noticed the time of the post and what time it is now... so nevermind lol if u read this - GOODLUCK