Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Banding March birds at Hazel Run

I just realized I never posted the pics of the banding session we had here at the end of March. Thought it might interest those of you who'd never seen it done.

As a fundraiser at a local nature center (Beaver Creek Reserve out of Fall Creek), the bird banding crew auctioned off a session at a private residence. Winner got to choose the date and location for the banding. hazel had the high bid!

Although the Main Event was to be in May, the crew came out at the end of March for a trial run. The hundreds of goldfinches we were hosting at the time didn't cooperate, but it was useful as a way to figure out net placement and where to set up the recording station for the Main Event.

The mist nets were strung outside the fence in close proximity to the feeders. We have an exposed basement, so we set up tables in the basement, an easy 50-ft walk to the nets and feeders.

Name:  Setting up 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  120.0 KB

Every bander has a preferred tool used as an aid in removing birds from mist nets. Karen, for example, used crochet hooks! In the background you can see the strings of bands set up according to size. Bird species are grouped by size and each has a particular size of band that is used.

If looks could kill, this black-capped chickadee would have had us dead and buried.

Name:  If looks could kill 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  136.0 KB

About to leave, unscathed and with some new jewelry:

Name:  Freshly banded chickadee 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  131.4 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A purple finch waits patiently in the net while Augie removes another nearby.

Name:  Waiting patiently 3-30-11 A.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  154.6 KB

I learned something new about purple finches. Birds less than two years of age all look like females!! It isn't until their second spring (at the beginning of their third year since they're hatched in late spring) that the males begin putting on that raspberry coloration. So this bird is aged as "after second year" since he's already got that bright pink:

Name:  Handsome ASY male purple finch 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  117.2 KB

While this one could be either a female or a male in its first or second year:

Name:  Purple finch--either a first spring male or a Ms 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  121.2 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A female hairy woodpecker about to be released after banding. Notice the absence of the red patch on the back of the head.

Name:  Ms Hairy 3-30-11 A.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  95.1 KB

This one clearly shows red, so it's a male. It's not typical, though, in that the red is in two patches. Normally, there would be a single bigger patch.

Name:  Mr Hairy on the offensive 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  93.9 KB

Hairy woodpeckers are really quite pugnacious. They know how to use those bills. Releasing these guys is always a relief--notice the bloody fingers

Name:  Mr Hairy on the way out 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  72.0 KB

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The mist nets are so fine that most birds don't see them before they hit them. There are also pockets that run the length of the nets and the birds often fall into them. Sometimes some feathers get rumpled, but a little preening will fix that.

Here an American goldfinch male (already getting yellow and putting on his dark cap) hangs in the net, probably trying to figure out what just happened.

Name:  Waiting goldfinch 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  108.3 KB

The bird is carefully extracted from the nets. The banders always do this part bare-handed so they can always monitor exactly how firmly they're holding the birds. This is one way they prevent injury to them.

Name:  Careful extraction from the mist net 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  100.5 KB

Once free of the nets, the birds are placed in cotton sacks until it's time to collect the data.

Name:  A downy about to be bagged 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  115.9 KB

Typically, it only takes at most a handful of minutes between the bird hitting the net and the release after processing.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Here's a shot of Karen using her trusty crochet hook to safely untangle a black-capped chickadee from a net:
Name:  Karen removing a chickadee from the net 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  133.5 KB

Our one and only mourning dove for the day. Mourning doves are a bit large for the nets used--normally they just bounce off or are able to free themselves. So this one was a bonus.
Name:  Mourning dove 3-30-11 B.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  86.3 KB

A slate-colored junco about to be released:
Name:  Junco, about to be released 3-30-11 A.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  75.7 KB

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

wow...our duck banding is nothing like that!! thats truly amazing Hazel.
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The third member of the crew out that day, Dan, extracts a bird from the nets:
Name:  Dan recovers a bird 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  150.9 KB

One of the white-breasted nuthatches banded that morning:
Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 3-30-11 B.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  95.3 KB

And finally, time to take the nets down and call it a day.
Name:  Augie and Dan taking down the nets 3-30-11.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  197.4 KB

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

how often do they do this hazel? twice a year? That must have been so interesting.
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I was just working on the pictures from May 24th (the Main Event)...almost done with them...and I realized I'd never posted these. Better late than never I suppose...

How do they band ducks, Melinda? During the eclipse phase? Do they do the ducklings, too?

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
how often do they do this hazel? twice a year? That must have been so interesting.
Not sure. Since I more or less bribed them to come out...by bidding ...they'd never been out before. Our May Main Event was pretty spectacular, so I'm hoping they'll come out to follow up next year! (without bribes now that we're on a fixed income )

Regardless, if any of the birds banded here are found elsewhere, we'll get a report from the BCR banding crew as to where and how the bird was recovered.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

its done at the bird sanctuary in Morrisburg Ont. there is a HUGE landing\holding pen that is put together every fall, the ducks know a certain time of day is feeding time, so down they come into the landing pen, people in waders "herd" them into the holding pen (top is chain link fencing) usually up to 300 are done each time. volunteers go into the holding pen and pick up each duck, (you take both wings and sort of pull them back till they touch) this holds the duck without hurting him, then they put the band on and check out the duck.
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Now that must be exhausting work! Ducks are a lot stronger than woodpeckers and chickadees. And 300 at a time! How many volunteers does it take?

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

well usually one or two senior classes from the highschools will help out, and they have a group called friends of the sanctuary that also help so usually about 70 helpers
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's a lot of people!!! And what an experience for the high schoolers!

I didn't participate in any banding sessions until college. We banded some of the migrating song birds in a woods on campus for an ornithology class, and I helped out a couple of students doing research on raptors. Banding a raptor is a lot different than banding a nuthatch. I remember how much in awe I was of the weight and power of the hawks we worked with!

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Are they banding the birds to keep track of them - i think I missed the purpose of the banding.

These shots are well done btw - Lovely eye sharpness on most of these
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Are they banding the birds to keep track of them - i think I missed the purpose of the banding.
Yup. They do population demographic studies and migration studies with banding data.

For instance, there is a downy woodpecker from another site that has been in the nets 45 times over the past 11 years. Since he was an adult when banded, they know he's at least 12 years old! Amazing for such a small critter!

Any time a banded bird is recaptured or if a bird is found dead and the band is recovered, the date and location get entered into the data base and the information comes back to the original banding crew. So if one of the grosbeaks we banded at the Main Event is recaptured by a crew during winter, we'll find out where the bird migrates to. Sometimes, if a population is showing a decline, banding information can give clues as to why. Since banding information includes locations, a correlation can be made between the habitat loss and the decline in numbers.

Old May 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM

That's so interesting.
Sorry for the threadjack here w/this question but I've always wondered something.

Can the banding be detrimental to the individual bird? (I've come to accept that it's probably necessary)

2 things come to mind:
- Can the stress of the banding itself shorten their lives or cause individual birds to have a heart attack for example?
- I realize this is subtle, but can the banding also have a detrimental effect on mating? Meaning might bird A (unbanded) not mate with bird B because bird B is banded (thus 'possibly' not normal or suitable for mating in the eyes of the bird)?

Thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko I follow a transmitter fixed peregrine falcon now for approx 3 yrs...she was fixed with the transmitter on the day she was banded..(its very small but does have an antenna) anyway I have followed her through three migrations from Chille Peru to her nest in Greenland where she stays for approx 3 months and then she comes home...she stopped on a light post last year in Montanna and they were able to find the actual pole she landed on by her GPS settings! the GPS coordinates tell you amazing places these birds have been! its cool!

I dont beleive its detrimental at all to the birds. I have been following the falcon bandings and yes they are upset but they quickly recover after a little while. As Hazel said all that data is important and yes we can tell when there has been a fatality as well if its reported.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They do have an inevitable small number of injuries and fatalities during the banding process, Marko. That being said, banders do undergo a fair amount of training before they can get a license from US Fish and Wildlife Service and that helps keep the incidence of injury low. Some birds with underlying conditions probably do die, but the percentage of deaths is also very low. In the two sessions here, they've banded over 150 birds. Even one injury or death would be well less than 1% for that many birds and they've had no injuries or deaths at all.

As for after banding, I suppose it's possible that a mate might notice the band. However, birds seem to look for specific characteristics in a possible mate that might indicate it's fitness as a partner. Behavior, plumage condition and color, even song, can be used to signal fitness. I'm thinking that absence or presence of a band wouldn't affect mating preferences as long as it's not influencing the factors that birds have evolved to rely on for making choices. Not sure if they've done any studies specifically on that aspect of it or not, though.

It's probably not possible to get good data on whether the process shortens their lives, either. Even if you can locate a dead bird, determining cause of death after the fact in an old carcass isn't easy, and relating a proximal cause of death due to disease or injury back to the stress from banding would be nigh to impossible. Since most birds likely die from predation and are eaten, there's not much evidence to gather. The best they can do is look at recaptures and try to paint a picture of longevity by how often and for how long they continue to see the same individuals. They do catch many of the same birds each year, often for many years in a row (like that downy woodpecker).

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Thanks for indulging my questions Winston and HRP!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They were good questions! I asked some of the same ones before I allowed them to start the banding...high bid or no.

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Absolutely fascinating! And great photos!

Thank you for posting this.

Diane
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
You can call me DOG!

Very well educated thread Hazel. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences.

So tell me, are some of those fingers bleeding because of the hard work and dedication towards banding or, are they just hang nails?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The woodpeckers were drawing blood

At least the rose-breasted grosbeaks weren't breaking the skin...much...at the May banding.

Old May 28th, 2011, 04:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well I guess if they couldn't peck at wood, they needed to peck at something--OUCH!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Dang hairies!! The downy woodpeckers were much better behaved...or maybe they just couldn't peck as hard cuz they're so small.