Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM

cats on counters

I have been having a problem with my 3 cats getting up on the counters. It wouldn't be a huge deal except they get into everything and are breaking things. I have tried eveything I can think of I have put upside down duct tape on the counters magizine on the counters. I have spayed them with water so now they get up there when I am not around. Nothing seems to work. I don't leave food out so they break things. I don't want to get rid of them because I love them very much and have had them for over 4 years, but what they are doing is ruining my relationship. My boyfriend wants me to choose between them or him and I won't give the cats up. please help
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Hmm... good luck, my cats are all over the counters, but luckily don't break things ever. I try and keep the breakables off the counter. Maybe try empty cans on the counter, so when they jump up, they fall over, scaring the cat? If they are getting into cupboards, those can be fixed easily. Just go get those things people use to child-proof their cupboards. Please don't get rid of them because of a boyfriend, though. Seems like he could be more tolerant, although that's just my opinion. If my boyfriend ever said that, well, it would be an easy choice (he would be the one out the door!).
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapDish View Post
I don't want to get rid of them because I love them very much and have had them for over 4 years, but what they are doing is ruining my relationship. My boyfriend wants me to choose between them or him and I won't give the cats up. please help
if cats on counters is ruining your relationship, then I'd venture to say it's not worth saving. any guy who ever asked me to chose between my cats or him, would soon find his bags packed and waiting for him on the curb.

Sorry, but this guy doesn't sound like a very caring person to ask you to choose, and to let something as trivial as being on a counter ruin a relationship. IMO, dump him, keep the cats, and move the breakables.
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

i agree with Jessi get rid of the guy and keep the cats, how long have you been with this guy? he doesnt understand your love for your cats? he also seems like a very controlling/demanding guy, a few things break and its the cats or him? but anyways to save all your stuff from breakingjust remove the breakables from the counters, and child guard the cupboards. maybe your kitties want something to climb, get them one of those cat trees with treats and cat nip on it.....
jessi you are much nicer than i would be too, i wouldnt even pack his things it would be a fun experiment of what breaks when thrown off the 4th floor balcony
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Live well, laugh often

This looks like it might solve your problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Scat-Kit/dp/B0002IJQEQ
Old November 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

The thing with cats is even if they are trained not to go on counters they will still instinctually want to get up there sometimes (they like to be in high places), so there should be nothing valuable or messy on the counters that could be knocked down. Put these things AWAY, it is not the cats fault if you leave things out to be broken or knocked on the floor. Just like with a toddler - if you leave them unsupervised with interesting things that can be broken, eatin, dumped out, etc. whose fault is it?
You would also benefit from either making something they can climb on, or buying one. A very tall scratching post with plenty of holes for them to go in, and plenty of things for them to climb on would probably deter them from getting on your counters quite a bit. If you put treats in it and catnip on it every day they'll learn to play on that instead.
HOWEVER, if the reason they're getting on counters is because you're leaving something edible out or something that smells good, nothing is going to deter them. You need to put all foods they may see as treats away, seal your garbage can, etc.
There should be no need for a squirt bottle, and at this point since they've already seen you use it it's useless. Squirt bottles only work if the cat doesn't know where it is coming from. All I ever have to do with my cats if I don't want them somewhere anymore is pick them up and put them on the floor while saying "down". After a few times they learn to stay off. This also teaches them the "down" command which will help if you see them on things they shouldn't be on. Just because cats aren't dogs doesn't mean they can't learn words and behaviors, not EVERYTHING should be negative reinforcement like squirting them.
Like I said though, they DO need proper outlets to keep them from finding the counters interesting. Scratching posts, things to climb on, and toys. You should also be playing with them yourself, it's a good way to bond and let them know that you're not just there to scold them. When you say down and they get down they can be rewarded with treats and play, which is one of the best methods to actually teach cats. Cats are smart, so when you only use negative reinforcement there's no incentive for them to behave when you're not there.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; November 6th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old November 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Performance Spaniels

My ex's cat had no desire to play on the table or the counter tops.. but she had a three 'floor' cat tree that he occasionally put catnip mice on, or would leave some treats there for her, and she could also leap from the top of the tree onto the top of the china hutch for need to watch the world from the highest position possible.

I think if your kitties had an outlet like everyone else has mentioned you should be all good. Though the boyfriend think skeazes me out a bit.. Doesn't sound like anyone I'd want in my life. My dog has been here through thick and thin, but boys keep coming and going. Taught me that she comes first.