Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Rolands on RAW!!! in need some advice. please.

So i went to the pet food store about a week ago and the lady there (after i told her about Rolands food issues) said she is a huge fan of raw and gave me a weeks worth for free to try out. so of course Roland loves it and his issues are gone. now my question is this. he seems much more hungry. i told her that when i went back for more and she said it is cause he likes it. how much should i be feeding him (hes 9.5 pounds, 9 months) and i have been leaving out kibble in the day too which he eats a bit of too. he threw up last night but im wondering if that is cause i gave him some canned cause i didnt have any unfrozen extra raw?
it is probably working out cheaper than the canned at this stage, and he seems to have grown on it for sure! he is hardly pooping and his coat is lovely.
oh anther issue. when i go away for two weeks, i live with a vegetarian who is not so keen on giving him raw meat (even though it is prepacked and all she has to do is defrost and drop it in his bowl *sigh*) so can i put him back on canned for that time?
thank you. i think thats all!
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I went through the same thing with Jag.He likes his raw and it was just him being a piggy.it took a little while and that stopped.
I don't see why going back to canned well your gone for 2 weeks would hurt.
I'm still new to raw myself.but someone more knowledgeable might have more insight.also welcome to raw.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:30 PM
-

I don't know that much about cats and raw diets but I'm thinking leaving kebble out for free-feeding isn't the best idea. RW is digested much more quickly whereas kibble hangs about and the mixture is like causing the upset tummy. You can feed one meal raw and one meal kibble.

As for your two-week absence, I'm never keen on an abrupt change in diet ~ but again, I know little about kitties. I would think it's likely to make Roland turn up his nose at his food and possibly upset his digestion. Maybe if he was given only canned in that period, it might work out.

Does your vegetarian roomie understand that no matter what the cat eats ~ it will be an animal ? I'm a vegetarian as well ( and was once a strict Vegan). I have no issues with cats eating meat raw or processed as they are obligate carnivores whereas people are not. If she is squamish, perhaps suggest using clean latex gloves to handle the food.
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM

thanks. i suppose the whole piggy thing is very likely. i guess if hes used to free feeding the change would be difficult. do you think i should just feed the raw once a day then and leave the kibble out for the rest of the time? the time between his eating the kibble and the raw is a couple of hours. i know im a little paranoid but as hes a kitten, i really dont want him to be hungry!

i did think about the glove thing. not a bad idea. i will see how it goes. i might be able to drop him at my ex's for that time if hes around. and he has no problem with the raw!
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I wouldn't leave the kibble out.my bro for his dog.feeds kibble in the morning and for supper he gets raw.feeding the raw and leaving kibble out to free feed would be to much i think.might upset his tummy.
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM

wouldnt it be different for dogs and cats?