Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 10th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Slip Lead Suggestions - Agility Training

I'd like to start using a slip lead when I start up the next round of agility lessons in January. Charley is a 15 lbs longer haired dog, in case that makes a difference.

In everyone's experience, are there features I should look for, and others I should avoid? Any particular leashes that stand out as really great and readily available?

Let me know!
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Well I don't do agility but I use slip/kennel leashes. I would think you'd need something longer and I have only seen slip leashes 4 ft long. (I'm sure you could get them longer if you looked)
Why a slip leash why not just plain old flat collar and leash?
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Performance Spaniels

Easier to have a slip lead in class.
Take off dog with one hand, run course get back on dog without frigging around. I stopped using my slip cause it's 'furry' and it was getting dirty in our horse barn we do class in. Kicked myself last week, it was -13.. nothing like freezing your hand trying to grab dog with gloves on and clip dog back on leash.
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Agility Addict

Slip leads for agility make life so much easier because your dog has to run collar-less and it really does save time/frustration (messing with the leash/collar buckle can be suprisingly awkward and time consuming)!!

The padded slip leads are the most popular around here from what I have seen:
http://cleanrun.com/category.cfm?Cat...TOKEN=31614178

If you click on the tugging one, you will see its made of Boa wool (which is my favorite) and I wasn't about to pay that price + shipping when my Mum can make them for a fraction of the cost... I've enlisted her to make them for a few agility/flyball friends as well which is great because she can modify the length for the size of the dog! If you are interested in that type, I know she'd be more than happy to make one for Charley. The only things I've had her do differently with Dodger's slip leads is make them longer, have a handle (instead of a knot) and reinforce it with rope to make it stronger for tugging purposes!
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the link.

In all honesty, I was thinking I might resort to making myself one, especially of the tug variety. My cut off is usually $15, that is if I can buy it for less than that I will, otherwise I'll make it.

I kind of like the fleece tug one, but I htink the martingal one might be better suited to Charley given his small size and weak trachea.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
Easier to have a slip lead in class.
Take off dog with one hand, run course get back on dog without frigging around. I stopped using my slip cause it's 'furry' and it was getting dirty in our horse barn we do class in. Kicked myself last week, it was -13.. nothing like freezing your hand trying to grab dog with gloves on and clip dog back on leash.
Exactly! I'd only use it in agility, and only because we might compete someday so I thought it might be wise to start working with the slip lead now (because you can't use collars or harnesses in competition).
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Performance Spaniels

Lissa's mom made me one. It's all pretty and cute so I'm afraid of hurting it..
But it's been handy up till I stopped using it, lol.
Really did realize last week that it is the only thing for agility. I like the British classic rope style slip leads, but I spend so much on dog stuff I'm trying not to for a while..

Winter agility + cold, wow. Nothing like it.. The extra clothing, it makes life so much more difficult.. it's still fun, just whole new level of stuff to go wrong in class, lol.

Cider's slip lead