Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 26th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
I used the Feline Fresh Pine Pellets for about 3 years and did not have poop odor issues & my girl also used to bury it.

Some food suggestions for you:

By Nature Organics, Innova, Evo especially the 95% line, Wellness, Holistic Select, Felidae Grain Free and the their other canned varieties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Dry cat food creates bulk in the digestive tract by filling them with indigestible matter (carbs). Bulk equals bigger poops, indigestible matter equals stinkier poops. If you feed only a high-quality, grain-free canned food you will get smaller, less stinky poops. Cats are not grazing animals, so it is quite alright to just feed her twice per day. She doesn't need to snack during the day.

Cute kitty! I see she has dark markings on her face, do you think maybe that dark mark near her mouth is just her fur color there? Does she have a name yet?
Well the bag of litter is brand new so i will see if she starts burying her pop by the time the bag is halfway through (she's using them up pretty fast, apparently pees a lot o_O or mabbe it's normal... that's for the vet to find out! ) i'll stick with it, if not i'll start switching her to something easier for her to bury poop with.

It suck ballllls that petsmart carry none of those brands!!
(petsmart US carries wellness but its not available in Canada! what a rip offfff)

I was in Bosley's the other day and asked for Weightloss canned food, and they had Natural Balance Reduced Carbs and Science Diet Light, and that's it >x<
I'll try Tisol and see if they have anything canned that's weightloss or reduced carbs.

Or does it matter at all? I think it was 14+ that mentioned that feeding purely canned is lower carbs? But when im reading the canned labels some brands (i.e innova) did have more carbs per can than the science diet light.
How do i make that choice?

Also, I mentioned earlier about grainless dry food (Orijen), is that still bad because its dry? Their 6 fish formula sounds so... healthy lool and they do advertise as having 0 grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
In general and about the bleach. You might not realize this, but your cat's feet are way cleaner than any public doorknob, phone, faucet, handrail, most people's hands, etc. The amount of fecal matter you're exposed to out in the great wide world is pretty astounding, so obsessing over what your cat might track around the house is misdirected and a waste of time.

Then like rainbow suggested, cover your bed with a sheet and extra pillow case while you're not there.

Just an aside about the food - if you want your kitty to lose weight, it would be a really good idea to ditch all kibble. You can leave canned food out for free-feeding (within reason) if you're worried about her going hungry (although for weight loss to occur, a little hunger is probably a good thing). Do you know how much she weighs at the moment, and what her ideal weight should be?
How do you know I don't bleach public doornobs!? O___O

Joking! seriously!

Haha I'm so sorry but i must have came off as some crazy OCD lady who wipes every surface with Lysol "kills 99.99% of bacteria =D"
I swear I'm not!

I'm actually really against those anti-bacterial cleaning products and soaps because i think they help create super-bugs so i never use them.
As for having bleach in the house, it's mostly because im a really lazy person and white cotton clothes and things are the most hassle free to clean haha (just add bleach and they'll look like new! so convenient! etc... )

And since its in my house anyways, i use it for things that might need disinfecting when cleaning (my sheets when i just had a cold, toilets, tough stains on the tiles or kitchen etc.)

I am really OCD about rinsing through and i make sure to store them in pet-proofed places!

Playing in the mud with my dog and getting hosed down by my mom (summer time, so no child or dog were harmed) is probably one of my fondest childhood memories. And I really don't mind a mess in the house, etc.

It's just its my first time having a cat, and unlike a dog or a kid, you cant hose them down! Which makes me kinda lost to how to keep up with basic hygiene haha.

Well i do worry sometimes because i mean, i know cats like to have their living spaces clean and that's one major reason why i'm so worried about not being there to scoop the litter box immediately after she goes. Because when i go to a public washroom, if the toilet in the stall i went to had poop in it, i go to another stall until i find a clean toilet... so I guess i was also worried she'd refuse to use her box if there's already poop in it?

I'm probably over analyzing wayyyyy too much and i probably sound retarded! >_<
But I really really really do appreciate yours and everyone's input and for putting up with my silly questions! I'm such a cat noob!

About the aside, I do have a question regarding leaving wet food out. Mostly afraid of attracting creepy crawlies etc... but also i don't know how long i can leave it out for before it goes bad.

I actually tried leaving some out yesterday for about a 3 hour window? But i work for 8 hours a day and I'm really afraid of it going bad and possibly giving her an upset stomach. I mean in the summer, things begin to smell funny pretty quickly.

From your experience, what would be a safe zone for leaving wet food out?

As for feeding her and her weight.
I don't know her exact weight (i'll know after the vet visit tomorrow), i have a scale at home (for myself) but i cant get her to stand on it for long enough to make a reading.
I know she's just slightly overweight, like a little bit of tummy fat? I know she has to lose enough to get that slight tuck back, but i don't know exactly how much.

The main concern is her lack of interest in being active, so even when she'd lost the weight i'd still have to watch her carbs.

She doesnt seem to eat a lot though, but i have no reference point so i really dont know if she's eating less because of stress or its just how much she eats. Basically a regular can is how much she eats the whole day, I feed her half in the morning and half at night. On the can it says to feed 1 1/2 can a day. I tried giving her more to go with the direction on the label but after a certain amount she just stops eating so... I mean yah there's the dry kibble but like i've been saying i really dont give her a more than 1/4 cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordly View Post
Sorry, when I said Bounty sheet, I meant the kitchen towel (Bounty, the quicker picker uppper) kind, not the dryer sheets. Those should be fine right?
I use it when I see dried bits stuck there...
Haha i thought you meant the paper towel too, and i sang the quicker picker upper in my head, and after i read your post it's officially stuck in my head!

And well, my cat doesnt have a name yet xD
her name was Jade, from the shelter, but she doesnt respond to it anyways so i might name her something different!

Cocopuffssss!

Okay never mind she gave me a look and turned her butt to me :,<
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
And well, my cat doesnt have a name yet xD
her name was Jade, from the shelter, but she doesnt respond to it anyways so i might name her something different!

Cocopuffssss!

Okay never mind she gave me a look and turned her butt to me :,<
Hahaha my two rascals don't respond to their names either. I just keep telling myself they're cats and can't be trained to respond like dogs do lol.
I like cocopuffsss though!!!
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Nope, wasn't me that mentioned lower carbs. Cats need protein, not carbs.
Wellness may not be available at Petsmarts. In my visits not much is available there besides lots of doggy stuff and frilly things we don't need for our pets. BUT it IS available at Pet Valus and Global (Ryans) Pet Food stores.

You can leave canned food out for up to 12 hours with no problems. Yes, it gets a little crunchy on the sides. Some kitties like the crunch. If kitty is eating a can a day that is fine. Thing is that most pet food companies way over estimate what a "normal" cat eats in a day and then people freak because they don't think kitty is eating enough. If she is leaving food behind then she is getting enough. If she is not waking you up in the middle of the night on a regular basis asking for food then she is getting enough.

Cats are obligate carnivores. They need meat. Not grains, corn or by products. That is why dry food is not necessary. Even the best dry is held together with potato starches and other things. If you must feed dry only use it as a treat. Maybe a tiny bit (12 - 15 pieces) left on a saucer for her.

From the pics you've posted your kitty does not look overweight. Please do not let the vet talk you into buying the food they sell. It is not a great food. Especially when there are so many other great foods available out there.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I feed my a mix of raw and canned. I feed them a 5AM and it stays out till 5PM when I get home. I have never had a sick kitty or any bugs from their cat food, so no worries .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, started it yesterday and came back in today. Has it been suggested that you get a second litter box if you are worried about the cat not wanting to use a dirty one while you are out? Many people have more than one box as some cats are very fussy about using a dirty box. Just so you know, one of my old cats would never cover her poop, it was like she had to get out of there ASAP. My other cat would go in after her and cover it up for her He was OCD!
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
(she's using them up pretty fast, apparently pees a lot o_O or mabbe it's normal... that's for the vet to find out!
Can you tell how many times a day she pees? Does she also drink a lot?

Quote:
I was in Bosley's the other day and asked for Weightloss canned food, and they had Natural Balance Reduced Carbs and Science Diet Light, and that's it >x<
I'll try Tisol and see if they have anything canned that's weightloss or reduced carbs.
Stay far far away from anything labelled as a "weightloss", "light" "indoor" or "hairball" formula (and that Natural Balance one is actually Reduced Calorie, not Reduced Carbs, which makes a big difference). These all have stupidly high amounts of grains and starches and are not fit for feline consumption. Read this most excellent article on why carbs make cats fat, and how the pet food manufacturers got it all wrong when they figured that reducing fat and protein was the way to get cats to lose weight: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

Quote:
But when im reading the canned labels some brands (i.e innova) did have more carbs per can than the science diet light.
How do i make that choice?
You can't really compare the labels on cans and bags with each other. They list the 'guaranteed analysis', not the Dry Matter analysis, which subtracts out the water content of each food to make it equal out. Here's another link for you that makes it easier to compare the nutritional profiles of various brands and flavours: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

Quote:
Also, I mentioned earlier about grainless dry food (Orijen), is that still bad because its dry?
Yuppers. There is NO dry on the face of this entire planet that is good for cats. Not a one. Despite what the advertisers would like you to believe. Pet food companies make most of their profits from kibble and would love it if everyone everywhere fed nothing but massive amounts of dry food to their furry companions. But just like you wouldn't eat nothing but cereal, day in and day out for your entire life, neither should our pets.

Quote:
Their 6 fish formula sounds so... healthy lool and they do advertise as having 0 grain.
Fish is not so healthy for cats, actually. I won't go into all the reasons why, but if you're curious, I have another link (or 2) for you!
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...ngerousforcats
http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/

Quote:
How do you know I don't bleach public doornobs!? O___O
You crack me up! Actually I thought of you last night when I was in bed (no, not like that!). I was happily reading away for 20 minutes, and then my husband comes to join me. Except that there was a nice big, dark, firm cat poo on his side of the bed. I started laughing because I hadn't even noticed (in my defence, it didn't smell, and it was slightly covered by the sheets). He just picked it up with a Kleenex and threw it out and then crawled under the sheets with me. What's really funny is that this is a man who used to be just about as squeamish about poop as you! Last night he was all "whatever". My, how far he's come. (I must mention that it really isn't normal for cats to defecate on their owner's beds, but one of my cats happens to be an elderly fellow that occasionally has constipation issues, and during those occasions, it apparently feels more comfortable for him to poop in places other than his litter box.)

Quote:
Because when i go to a public washroom, if the toilet in the stall i went to had poop in it, i go to another stall until i find a clean toilet...
Me too!

Quote:
so I guess i was also worried she'd refuse to use her box if there's already poop in it?
As Dog Dancer mentioned, that answer to that is another box. Most cats prefer that anyway, or at least a really big box like one of those under-the-bed storage boxes.

Quote:
From your experience, what would be a safe zone for leaving wet food out?
Like 14+ and Love4, I put wet food out twice a day, morning and evening, and whatever doesn't get eaten (which usually isn't much, with 4 cats) gets tossed after about 12 hrs. Never had a cat get sick from that, although if you have problems with insects or whatever, you could try a couple other things. One would be a timed feeder that opens up automatically at preset intervals, and the other is to freeze some wet food in an ice-cube tray and plop a couple frozen cubes on a plate to slowly thaw for later in the day.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM

So i just came back from the vet! My cat is so freaked out right now because i had to carry her and walk there :x (5 blocks... my friend who's supposed to give me a ride forgot the date lawlz ._. )

She was meowing the entire way and made me feel so badddddd~ :<

She weighs 13 pounds right now and the vet said to lose 2 pounds over 6~8 weeks. And also to watch for her sneezes for the next couple of days. Other than that she's perfectly healthy. The thingy on her chin is just her natural coloring~ not cat acne :x

Quote:
Can you tell how many times a day she pees? Does she also drink a lot?
Oh shoot! i totally forgot to ask the vet about the pee thing.
As far as i know she pees 3 times a day? (at least from when im there on the weekends) But im really not sure since she goes to the litterbox when im asleep too.

I have two water dishes for her and i do see her stopping by and drinking though.

Quote:
Stay far far away from anything labelled as a "weightloss", "light" "indoor" or "hairball" formula (and that Natural Balance one is actually Reduced Calorie, not Reduced Carbs, which makes a big difference). These all have stupidly high amounts of grains and starches and are not fit for feline consumption. Read this most excellent article on why carbs make cats fat, and how the pet food manufacturers got it all wrong when they figured that reducing fat and protein was the way to get cats to lose weight: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

You can't really compare the labels on cans and bags with each other. They list the 'guaranteed analysis', not the Dry Matter analysis, which subtracts out the water content of each food to make it equal out. Here's another link for you that makes it easier to compare the nutritional profiles of various brands and flavours: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

Yuppers. There is NO dry on the face of this entire planet that is good for cats. Not a one. Despite what the advertisers would like you to believe. Pet food companies make most of their profits from kibble and would love it if everyone everywhere fed nothing but massive amounts of dry food to their furry companions. But just like you wouldn't eat nothing but cereal, day in and day out for your entire life, neither should our pets.
Oh wow i didnt know the "hairball" stuff is bad too! Was gonna get her some "hairball" treats but apparently not!
Is there anything i should be giving her to prevent hairballs? She's a really neat cat and is grooming herself all the time. I brush her everyday and used deshedding dry shampoo on her twice, so she's not nearly shedding as much as she did when she first arrived from the spca, but she's still quite a fluffy cat.

From the way that she completely disses the salmon treat a i got her, i think she dislikes fish flavor anyways haha!

Well when i go to bosley's on sat to get her next week's supply of canned food i'll keep an eye out for the grain-free brands.

Quote:
You crack me up! Actually I thought of you last night when I was in bed (no, not like that!). I was happily reading away for 20 minutes, and then my husband comes to join me. Except that there was a nice big, dark, firm cat poo on his side of the bed. I started laughing because I hadn't even noticed (in my defence, it didn't smell, and it was slightly covered by the sheets). He just picked it up with a Kleenex and threw it out and then crawled under the sheets with me. What's really funny is that this is a man who used to be just about as squeamish about poop as you! Last night he was all "whatever". My, how far he's come. (I must mention that it really isn't normal for cats to defecate on their owner's beds, but one of my cats happens to be an elderly fellow that occasionally has constipation issues, and during those occasions, it apparently feels more comfortable for him to poop in places other than his litter box.)
Haha the first thing i do when i come back from work is to check all corners of the house for poop! xD
But so far so good! She's been amazingly neat. There's of course tracking problems but im putting an extra towel under the mat so that should take care of that.

Actually u just gave me an awesome idea! I'll start picking up her poop with toilet paper (i just flush it anyways) instead of the scoop so i dont have to be OCD about washing her litter scoop.

Quote:
As Dog Dancer mentioned, that answer to that is another box. Most cats prefer that anyway, or at least a really big box like one of those under-the-bed storage boxes.
I might not have enough room for another box (her litterbox is under the bathroom sink right now, so space is an issue), but i might be able to get her a bigger box.

Her current box is actually a dishwasher box by rubbermaid with microban (supposedly helps with the odor), but i'll keep an eye out for a larger box definitely.

Quote:
Like 14+ and Love4, I put wet food out twice a day, morning and evening, and whatever doesn't get eaten (which usually isn't much, with 4 cats) gets tossed after about 12 hrs. Never had a cat get sick from that, although if you have problems with insects or whatever, you could try a couple other things. One would be a timed feeder that opens up automatically at preset intervals, and the other is to freeze some wet food in an ice-cube tray and plop a couple frozen cubes on a plate to slowly thaw for later in the day.
okay! i'll try that!
Thanks so much for the info :3
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:58 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yikes! I hope you had her in a carrier while you were carrying her.
The vet wanting kitty to lose 2 pounds in 6 to 8 weeks needs to get a reality check! For every pound a cat loses it's equivalent to a human losing 10 pounds. So the vet really wants your kitty to lose, in human terms, 20 pounds! That is not even realistic for most humans on a diet. She would take the weight off too fast which would be dangerous for her. A slow steady weight loss is much better for her.
If you want her to lose a little weight gradually over the course of six months or so then moving her to the canned diet and dropping the dry is the way to go. I don't know but 13 pounds does not sound that bad to me. But then my guys range anywhere from 3 pounds up to 19.
Thanks for the update on her. Glad to know her marking by her mouth is her own.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not 2 lbs in 6-8 weeks (unless she is 20 lbs , which she isn't). Cat's liver can not change fat into energy very efficiently , so she should only loose about 2 oz per week.

From: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineo...t-Loss_Program

Safe Rate of Weight Loss

Please understand that your overweight cat took months to get into his current condition and that it will take months to safely lose the weight. This is not a race but it is critical for you to stay the course and not give up.

A safe rate of weight loss is 1 - 2% of their current body weight per week.

For example, if your cat weighs 20 pounds, he can safely lose up to ~6 ounces per week. (20 pounds X16 ounces/pound = 320 ounces. 2% of 320 = ~ 6 ounces.)

1% would be 3 ounces per week - or 3/4 pound/month.

As your cat loses weight, the amount of weight that he should lose each week will decrease.

For example, if your cat is down to 16 pounds, his weight loss should slow to ~2.5 -5 ounces each week which represents 1-2% of 16 pounds.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Yikes! I hope you had her in a carrier while you were carrying her.
The vet wanting kitty to lose 2 pounds in 6 to 8 weeks needs to get a reality check! For every pound a cat loses it's equivalent to a human losing 10 pounds. So the vet really wants your kitty to lose, in human terms, 20 pounds! That is not even realistic for most humans on a diet. She would take the weight off too fast which would be dangerous for her. A slow steady weight loss is much better for her.
If you want her to lose a little weight gradually over the course of six months or so then moving her to the canned diet and dropping the dry is the way to go. I don't know but 13 pounds does not sound that bad to me. But then my guys range anywhere from 3 pounds up to 19.
Thanks for the update on her. Glad to know her marking by her mouth is her own.
yah i had her in her hide and perch box ;3
I still had to take breaks inbetween though because i have flimsy arms

Mabbe i interpreted the vet wrong O_O mabbe he meant like bring her back in 6~8wks to weigh her to see how the weightloss is going instead of losing that weight in 6~8 wks.

Yah that's probably what he meant!

I'm such a fobbbb
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Here is a link to some excellent kitty reading for you since you're new to the game!
http://www.traciehotchner.com/cc/suggestions.htm

Here is a link to good canned food brands:
http://www.traciehotchner.com/cc/fil...rovedFoods.pdf

Tracie Hotchner is US-based so some of the brands aren't available up here in Canada, but at least it gives you a good spectrum to try to find.
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

There is an error on that website, they claim Nature's Variety Prairie is grain free and it is not. Nature's Variety Instinct is grain free.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 29th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
There is an error on that website, they claim Nature's Variety Prairie is grain free and it is not. Nature's Variety Instinct is grain free.
Ya, that list is a little outdated. The old Prairie was the predecessor to Instinct, way back in the day.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM

okay I really should have gotten her a bigger box and/or trimmed her butt hair sooner
I dont know what was the exact reason for this little event but here goes, her first ever litter-box related "accident"!

w00~

So on sat, i had two friends over, which may contributed to her being a little freaked out, but she pretty much stayed in my room without much problems.
I finally got her a treat that she's at least shown some interest, yey.

Anyways, so this morning, she was going to the litterbox, and she looked about done when i walked into the bathroom. But to my horror, she started moving with just her front legs, dragging her bottom against the floor, and proceeded to wipe her butt on my bathmat! (the white furry one from ikea that is a bitch to wash! its so heavy when its wet omg x_x)

granted as this is happening, i was horrified but the whole thing was also very hilarious in a very sad way. Then i felt bad because the poor thing probably had some poo stuck in her fur x_x

So she ran out, into the living room, but she still had poo on her even through she used the bathmat "toilet paper", and she was still trying to rub it off on the floor (thank god i have laminate instead of carpet!!) and my friend's jeans xDDD

Both me and her spent the next 2 hours cleaning her/the bathroom/living room.
(it was kinda sad watching her keep licking her butt to try to get the poo off but its like not coming off >_> and she absolutely refused to let me wipe her butt so a hour later when she finally calmed down enough for me to wipe her with a dry shampoo, i couldnt get anything on the tissue, so either it dried completely or she managed to lick everything off)

I got her a new litterbox that's wayyy bigger (though i do kinda worry about the vertical space since its right under the sink... but she was okay fine with her previous box so) and ive been chasing after her and snipping away at her butt fur all day xD|||
Hopefully it wont happen again.

On another note, she conquered her fear and figured out how to jump from the bed to my computer chair, and now she thinks its hers and wont budge away from it. I'm forced to share it with her so now we both occupy half of the chair as i type. haha.
Old October 31st, 2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Here is a link to some excellent kitty reading for you since you're new to the game!
http://www.traciehotchner.com/cc/suggestions.htm

Tracie Hotchner is US-based so some of the brands aren't available up here in Canada, but at least it gives you a good spectrum to try to find.
and btw, since i already did the calculation at Bosley's (chain petstore in vancouver area), i figure i'd share:

(*this is just a reference for people whos not sure about the price difference between "premium" and w/e else canned food there is, and also different brands. The price may vary depending on store, but Bosley's had the same price as petsmart and tisol on a lot of other things so it should be relative! and also doesnt not corresponds to the pdf completely since i can only calculate on what's in stores)

Price per oz:
Friskies Poultry Platter, Turkey: $0.12
Fancy Feast Gourmet Feast: $0.23
Evo (Chicken & Beef): $0.18
Wellness: $0.23
California Natural: $0.19
Felidae: $ 0.18
Innova (cat and kitten): $0.17
Natural Balance (chicken & Liver): $0.25
Hollistic: $0.23