Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Help!!!

:sad: Hello everyone, I've never been here before, so I don't even know what I'm doing. I own a female bulldog boxer cross, she's about 6 months old, and we are having a hard time training her. A friend of ours owns a boxer, and he said it took him 3 years to train his, I can't wait 3 years!! My husbend won't stand for it, and is giving me 2 weeks to train her, or she's got to go. Someone please help me. :sad:

Anyways, my problem is with my 6 month old bulldog boxer cross puppy, we are having a very hard time training her t go out side, or even on the paper. My husbend has had as much as he can take, and has given me 2 weeks to train her or he wants to give her away, even though I know he probably bluffing, I need to get her trained regaurdless. She now is teathered to our front door nob amid a sea of newspaper. I could really use some help in this department, as I've never had to train a puppy before

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; January 10th, 2005 at 06:57 PM. Reason: combining dupe posts
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM
banned user

Wow, two weeks isn't nearly enough time to train anything.... sorry about your decision. What kind of training are you talking about? House training? And how long have you had her?
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

still a puppy...

In what ways does your husband expect this puppy to be trained in 2 weeks.... Give examples of what the pup is doing and what you are trying to work on...
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Please find this puppy a new home, with someone who has some knowledge of dogs and who understands that no puppies are trained in two weeks.

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; January 10th, 2005 at 06:32 PM. Reason: sorry, patience wearing thin
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

best read....

the other post. This dog is tied to a doorknob surrounded by newspaper.
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I hate to say it but your husband is being unrealistic. Does he think that you can train a dog in two weeks? Sorry but this dog is going to end up in a shelter so do it a favour and either find it a new home or replace your husband who I don't even want to know how he would train a dog in two weeks. I apologize for being direct but I can see this one coming. Did your husband want a dog and did you do research breeds to get an idea of the energy level and ease of training? This sounds like a great mix and if you spend the time you will have a great dog. Have you considered obiedence training
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

You've had this dog since she was 6 weeks and she is not housetrained yet.

The first thing you must do is pick up the papers. A 6 month old large breed puppy should not be going on papers, and by doing this you are totally confusing her. First it's not okay to pee in the house, and now it is. She cannot possibly understand.

You need to get her on a strict schedule and never leave her loose to make mistakes in the house. Only have her loose when she is in the room with you and you can watch her closely for any signs that she needs to go - sniffing, circling around, look intent, etc.

HEre is a link on how to get her on a schedule and make houstraining easier. Consistancy and patience are necessary.

Housetraining
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

how many hours...

How many hours is this young pup left alone during the day? This might be a problem as well?
Old January 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Please find this puppy a new home, with someone who has some knowledge of dogs and who understands that no puppies are trained in two weeks.

I couldn't agree more!