Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Help please - is this food a good choice

I'm hoping one of the senior members of this site can help me. We are getting a golden retriever puppy in 2 weeks and I am trying to decide on what food to start her off on. Someone I work with was recommended to use this food for her golden by the breeder.

Can you look at the ingredients and let me know if this is a "good" choice.

http://www.tlcpetfood.com

Thanks very much
Lisa
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Hi there,
Well, I'm not a senior member, but I sure did a lot of research before finding a food I was happy with for our pup! I took a look at the list and I think you'll find that a lot of people here will question the amount of grains and also the fact that the meat content is in meal form. I checked this food on the dog food analysis site http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1463&cat=5 and they don't recommend it.

I think you'll have to decide if you want to feed your dog grains or not. I'm ok with some grains myself, but many others aren't. I'd suggest you take a look at the dog food analysis site, and review your budget and see what works for you!

Good luck! There is a lot of information out there, it boggled my mind at first but I'm glad we did the research!
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM

Milly's points are valid. Dog's can't digest grains, they aren't designed to. Check some other posts in this category that list some of the really good foods out there. Just my two cents. I feed Orijen and raw bones, plus share my fruit and veggies with Scruff and he's doing very well.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks very much for you help, I will check that website and review the other posts
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Dogs can digest some grains, in reading the ingredient list on the food you posted that's actually a pretty good food, I would feed it.
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM

I agree it doesn't look too bad....and free shipping.
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM

I compared it to the food I am feeding now and it's very similar and cheaper! I think I might actually try it!!! It's got some top quality ingredients in it and for the price is great.

Here's TLC Dog food:

Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Whole Grain Barley, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural Source of Vitamin E), Potato, Chicken, Salmon Meal, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil (Natural Source of DHA), Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Whole Dried Egg, Potassium Chloride, Cultured Yeast, Kelp, Lecithin, Apple, Tomato, Chicory Root Extract, Mannan-oligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Vitamins, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Vitamin C , Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Biotin, Vitamin B12, Minerals, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate , Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Selenium, Taurine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Probiotics, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, L-carnitine, Chondroitin Sulphate, Thyme, Cassia, Anise, Chamomile, Horseradish, Juniper, Ginger, Rosemary Extract

Here's my food Riplees Ranch Gold:

NEW ZEALAND LAMB MEAL, BROWN RICE, STEAMED OATMEAL, sunflower oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols),ground flax seed Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Salmon oil, natural lamb flavours chicory root, Yucca Shidigera, Glucosamine HCI, Chondroitin Sulfate, Marigold Flowers, Pacific brown kelp, Carrots, Green bell peppers ,Spinach, Parsley, Tomatoes, Apples, Cranberries, Blueberries, Raspberries ,Green tea, Ginseng, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride , Iron Bioplex, Zinc Bioplex, Manganese Bioplex, Iodine Proteinate, Copper Bioplex, Vitamin A Supplement, DL Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Methionine, Lysine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Vitamin K Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12, Folic Acid.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM

I just read the dog food analysis site and it hates my food too BUT all my dogs have amazing coats, clear eyes are in great health etc so really the testament for me is my dogs. I have fed riplees for years and have tried other foods and always go back. Remember when reading the sites, the US has different definitions to ingredients and how they list and interpret them as well. My husband used to be in the dog food business and I showed him the TLC and he gave it the thumbs up. Most dog foods will have grains of some sorts, unless you buy a totally grain free food. My dogs don't have allergies and can digest the ones in the food and it's no issue for them. I have also had many rescues over the years that have eaten the same food and some are still on it and are doing great.

I had an owner of a local raw food company ask me what raw diet I feed and she refused to believe I fed kibble!
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:02 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post

Here's TLC Dog food:

Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Whole Grain Barley, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural Source of Vitamin E), Potato, Chicken, Salmon Meal, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil (Natural Source of DHA), Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Whole Dried Egg, Potassium Chloride, Cultured Yeast, Kelp, Lecithin, Apple, Tomato, Chicory Root Extract, Mannan-oligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Vitamins, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Vitamin C , Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Biotin, Vitamin B12, Minerals, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate , Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Selenium, Taurine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Probiotics, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, L-carnitine, Chondroitin Sulphate, Thyme, Cassia, Anise, Chamomile, Horseradish, Juniper, Ginger, Rosemary Extract

Here's my food Riplees Ranch Gold:

NEW ZEALAND LAMB MEAL, BROWN RICE, STEAMED OATMEAL, sunflower oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols),ground flax seed Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Salmon oil, natural lamb flavours chicory root, Yucca Shidigera, Glucosamine HCI, Chondroitin Sulfate, Marigold Flowers, Pacific brown kelp, Carrots, Green bell peppers ,Spinach, Parsley, Tomatoes, Apples, Cranberries, Blueberries, Raspberries ,Green tea, Ginseng, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride , Iron Bioplex, Zinc Bioplex, Manganese Bioplex, Iodine Proteinate, Copper Bioplex, Vitamin A Supplement, DL Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Methionine, Lysine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Vitamin K Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12, Folic Acid.

Although I prefer a grain free kibble (because raw is too expensive to feed when you live in the boonies), I would definitely ask both companies what form of Vitamin K they use.

Vitamin K1 is fine but Vitamin K3 is menadione sodium bisulfite complex which is a synthetic form that is banned for human consumption since it is believed to cause cancer.
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:13 AM

Good suggestion, I may. I do have a 17 year old that's eaten Riplees for 11 of those years, no cancer so far. I am not a raw person either but do feed my dogs raw bones for their teeth & enjoyment, my dogs to get other foods besides kibble, they get tripe, veggies, fruits etc.
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have emailed them about the Vitamin K and will let you know what they saw. I was reading on the dog food analysis site that too much protein may not be good for puppies, especially large breeds. My friend who recommended this brand uses it because her breeder would give her a health guarantee for hips but only if the dog was on this food for a minimum of the first 2 years.

MIA - I'm glad to hear your husband gave it the thumbs up, that says a lot since he worked in the industry!

I'm all for the free home delivery too since I have a 3 year old and work full time, one less trip I will have to make
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovingmybabies View Post
Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have emailed them about the Vitamin K and will let you know what they saw. I was reading on the dog food analysis site that too much protein may not be good for puppies, especially large breeds. My friend who recommended this brand uses it because her breeder would give her a health guarantee for hips but only if the dog was on this food for a minimum of the first 2 years.

MIA - I'm glad to hear your husband gave it the thumbs up, that says a lot since he worked in the industry!

I'm all for the free home delivery too since I have a 3 year old and work full time, one less trip I will have to make
Good news ladies, I received a response today from TLC Pet Food, see below

We use natural Vitamin K1, not synthetic vitamin K3. Vitamin K1 is found chiefly in leafy green vegetables and is required in dog food to assist with circulatory health.

I think given the positive feedback from my friend who is using this and from the senior members that I am going to give it a try. The price sure is much less that from comparative brands, I guess because theie is not retail chain adding in their share.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the help. and so does our new baby girl Georgia
Lisa