Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM

We've been skunked!

OMG! What a reek! My guy Brodie was out in the yard last night and got skunked in the mouth and side of his head, I've done the Peroxide, baking soda and dishsoap thingy......but my house no longer smells like a kennel but a home for skunks!

I do have kennel cleaner for my floors and have used it but the smell lingers on and on.....

We did have the dog in the house, couldn't leave him in the garage overnight as the smell out there was worse......and all the dogs would have been howling all night for each other. Big mistake I am sure but just couldn't do it.

Anyhow anyone have any good recipies for ridding my house of this smell, I will be home all day I am sure as I think I smell like the critter too at this point!

Thanks for any help.

Oops, apparently my friend saw the skunk and said it was digging a hole in the back yard...does this mean it is building a nest? How can I get rid of her??
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:02 AM

Nothing I know is more effective than the concoction you used. Maybe try again. Here is a ratio I know works very well, it is from the originator, Paul Krebaum, a chemist for the Molex corporation in Lisle, Illinois. The trick is to get it on the dog/surface immediately after mixing. It has a short period of effectiveness.

* 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
* 1/4 cup of baking soda
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately. The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients lasts only a limited time.

If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet, be sure to rinse offhim off with water. Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

For the stinky house - I'd try leaving those fridge/freezer baking soda boxes all around the house, and washing everything that is washable.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I agree with Jessi, and also (if you don't have it already) use oxyclean in the washer on EVERYTHING that can be washed (couch covers, blankets, etc). A cup of that in hot water to wash down the walls will work too. I've only had one skunking incident, in which I used 2 gallons of tomato juice and then a baking soda paste scrub afterwards and a final rinse with oatmeal shampoo and that worked pretty well. Best of luck to you
Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM

skunked

Well everything is now washed,the dog has been out running in a dog run with me(while no others were around), instead of me having my usual eau de doggie smell I know have a bit of a mixture of skunk in me.

Brodie (the dog who got skunked) has been a real trooper, he has been bathed at least 5 times with the last one being a Feminine douche lololol , a friend from my work told me to use it...so far the smell on him has lessened but by all means it is not gone...but with trial and error so far the douch wins!

Wish I could have used country flowers or something with a really good smell lol but I stuck to the plain old vinnegar and water and it has helped.

If anyone thinks of anything else please let me know my driveway looks like I'm having a garage sale lol carpets washed and out to dry, my shoes are out there leashes and collars hanging out to dry the whole nine yards! threw out the comfortor though.....whew! Looks like rain here that ought to be real pleasent smelling if it comes!!!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Owned by goldens

Skunky

Put bowls of pure vinegar out around the house. It will absorb the smell.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM

No other words of wisdom for you. I just wanted to say that I feel (or rather, smell) your pain. Been there, suffered through that. For those who have never had the pleasure, live skunk spray smells 100 times worse than the dead skunks you pass on the road. Good luck!