Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Free Stuff is Good Stuff - Pets.ca's freecycling forum

Closed Thread

Old December 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM
banned user

Pedi Paws

I guess you could say..never used...my guys run and hide when they hear this thing...can't get it anywhere near them....so if anyone would like it let me know.
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
-

shirley1011 , have you tried a couple if times ? My guys got used to it ... took a while but , they did.
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM
banned user

I have tried it with all 5 and they run and hide.....have been trying since last summer and even the youngest one now 9 months hides under the bed before I even turn it on.
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM

I just would run it and bring it close to them and wouldn't let them run - they would sniff it and that would be enough for now. A couple hours later or even the next day I would do it again -- patiently -- and put it away. Then try with one toe and if the dog is ok, another - if he/she gets anxious then stop for the timing being.

It works great on the little dogs but it didn't work well on my big dog. It wouldn't take enough off and would actually start to smell like it was burning. It does work to smooth things out a bit after they are clipped though. You might have better luck though, who knows.

Norm
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
banned user

My daughter-in-law was here for dinner and saw this box
sitting on my desk waiting to be mailed out to "someone"
so she took it with her for her dogs.
So it is gone to a new home!
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM

I have Pedi Paws, and use it regularly.

My dog hates to have her nails clipped, but will tolerate the Pedi Paws better. She doesn't really like it, but at least she doesn't try to bite me now.

For my dog, this was well worth the money, and yes it does smell like burning at times, but only if the nails are a little longer.

Getting replacement sanding disks are readily available, I bought a large box of them, so it should keep me going for awhile.

take care
binky
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I cannot use it on my animals unfortunately. Julia bit me, Maddox knawed on my hand and the cats run and hide. No success.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM

Seems to me that Pedipaws just draws out the torture. Buddy hates getting his nails trimmed, but I wouldn't even try the pedipaws because I'm sure he would hate it.

I think pedipaws is a gimmick, really.
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:38 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

I have one too and don't use it much, only if I have a really rough spot after clipping as it is much faster then using a regular emery board.

have you ever tried it on your own nail though? I did and is not the most comfortable feeling I have ever had. If you leave it for more than a second or 2 my nail started to feel like it was being vibrated right in the root and was almost painful.
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melei'sMom View Post
have you ever tried it on your own nail though? I did and is not the most comfortable feeling I have ever had. If you leave it for more than a second or 2 my nail started to feel like it was being vibrated right in the root and was almost painful.
that is such a good point, Melei's Mom. Perhaps the maker of this stupid device should have tried it on their own damn nails before selling it for use on pet nails.
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:23 PM

I think everyone's dogs are training them!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay9 View Post
Seems to me that Pedipaws just draws out the torture. Buddy hates getting his nails trimmed, but I wouldn't even try the pedipaws because I'm sure he would hate it.

I think pedipaws is a gimmick, really.
I would have agreed with you a few months ago, but not anymore. I actually love pedi paws now and so does my dog. Obviously it won't work for everyone but it really is a useful product.

shirley1011 I know you got rid of it but I thought I throw in my two cents anyway. Who knows maybe it'll help somebody.

I have a pomeranian with a very full coat so he has fur growing everywhere. I had a very hard time with the traditional clipper because fur would always get in the way and get pulled which was painful, even when I was extra careful.

Then I noticed the pedi paws was on sale at the pet store, the staff said I can return it if it doesn't work so I bought it to try it out. Now that I have gotten a handle on things, its a very relaxed and enjoyable process. My dog will actually come to me on his own when I pick up the pedi paws. I can even better gauge how much I'm taking off to avoid the quick because my dog has black nails.

Here are some things I learned in the past few months:
  1. If you are afraid, or think you are going to cause pain, the dog will immediately pick up on it and feel uneasy and nervous. So relax.
  2. If another dog in your pack is afraid, chances are the others will feed off his fear. maybe try taking the dog in a separate room.
  3. Let the dog smell it, lick it, whatever, while the pedi paws is running. Give him treats. At first my dog was afraid of this thing when it was running.
  4. Plan on doing only one nail at a time to start with, give lots treats or praise.
  5. It's very important to use the pedi paws so that the sanding disk spins AWAY from the nail - Otherwise it will be uncomfortable or even painful for your dog
  6. Hold the dog's nail with two fingers (not with your nails, with your fingers), at the top and bottom, you have to support it, then start sanding. Again, supporting the nail will help a lot with the vibration issue.
  7. File down each nail for a few seconds at a time to avoid vibration discomfort/overheating/burning the nail, don't apply excessive pressure. I personally do 3s max.
  8. Use the pedi paws more frequently so you only sand off small bits.

That's all I can remember for now... Honestly I don't know how much of it is in the owner's manual but I hope its fresh info.

Last edited by LittleMonster; February 6th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:58 AM
-

Good advices LittleMonster

my dogs are still getting use to it , it's a slow process (I'm now using a real dremel) I will never use clippers again , clippers work well when smaller dogs but using them on a great dane and a pyrenee , even when you buy the jumbo clippers , doesn't work well I find.
Closed Thread