Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:45 AM

Unhappy First large tank and too many fish...

**check out the picture lower in this post - fish mesmorized by a fake plant - thought it was funny... theyve been staring at it for over 3 hours...)

A friend of mine ended up with too many fish for her tank, so she asked if I would be able to take about 6 of them. I had a 20 gallon tank that we use to use so I said I would take them. I got the tank set up, bought them rocks and a filter good for up to 30 gallons. She handed me a bag of 13 fish... which I believe is way too many from the information I've been reading. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this work? What about an algae eater? cleaning the water frequently enough? Any suggestions? I've never had more than one goldfish in a smaller tank... and I keep reading about bubbles - is that something I should have as well?

oh, and I think they are "commons" from the pictures I've been looking at ... and the poop is starting already...
thanks a lot.

Last edited by jelisalyn89; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added a photo so added a comment about it
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:31 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It's not so much the number of fish as it is how big they are. Rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon of water from what I have been told. But I'm not a real fish expert. They will be along shortly I'm sure.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM

They are probably about an inch and a half in length. I have been reading a lot of things like that... but I also read that when there are several full goldfish that they need more room and I've also read things like one per 10 gallons... so I'm not really sure what to go on.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

There's not enough information to determine anything.

You need to go by their adult size, not their size now. What kind fish are they? Common plecos get more than a foot long, so he'll outgrow a 20g easily.

I'd assume that they're 13 inch and a half fish that aren't fullgrown, so you're probably heavily overstocked. 20 gallon aquariums don't have much stocking room.

A 30g filter on a 20g isn't much filtration. It's the minimum for normal stocking (like a small school of neons or guppies).

And I assume the tank is already cycled? If not, even a few fish is way too many because your ammonia spike will kill or, at best, stunt them.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM

I realize it's too many. I wasn't expecting so many... I'm trying to find them homes... hoping they will okay for a short period of time while theyre still small?
Attached Images

Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah. Those are comets. WAY too many already .

Definitely find them homes. Hopefully a pond, since that's what they'll need, unless you can find someone with a VERY large tank.