Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Unhappy What could it be? (Dog is better now - thx)

I have an almost 2 year old shetland sheepdog (open male), UTD on all shots etc. This morning I woke up to him not able to move, his back end is very week and he can't hold himself up, he has also been shaking. He is currently at the vets and I am awating to hear how x-rays went and blood work won't come in till tomorrow as they have to send off to get a full panel. He does not eat things in the garden or in the house and when out for walks he is on leash, never left unattended. I would love to hear any ideas or thoughts on what could have caused this to come on so suddenly, also his temp is normal and he did deficate himself (no blood) and he is a little dehydrated so they have him on IV. Thank you in advance
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, lannykins. Welcome to the board.

What do you mean by 'open male'? Are you saying he's unneutered? I've seen male dogs with prostate infections develop sudden weakness in the hindquarters and have so much pain that they tremble. Prostate problems are much more likely in an intact male than in a neutered male. If that's the problem, the vet should be able to diagnose it with a cystocentesis--a needle extraction of urine from the bladder. If the sample from the bladder is clean, but a free-catch sample shows bacteria, then the most likely culprit is the prostate. Prostate infections can be treated with antibiotics, but if they recur, neutering is the cure in nearly 100% of the cases.

The symptoms you describe might also be consistent with back problems. We have a few dogs with spondylosis and on occasion they'll tweak something and have some pretty severe back pain. They'll be weak in the hindquarters and tremble from the pain. Is it possible he hurt his back?

Whatever this turns out to be, I hope you get some answers and an effective treatment soon! It's so hard when they hurt and we don't know how to help them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM

He is home now and much better. The vet says he had all the symptoms of being 'high' so i am thinking one of my neighbours that has been causing issuies since i moved in thought it would be funny to toss something over or some teens for a joke. Anywho he is all better now!!
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM

how do i make it so the title shows he is better??
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannykins View Post
He is home now and much better. The vet says he had all the symptoms of being 'high' so i am thinking one of my neighbours that has been causing issuies since i moved in thought it would be funny to toss something over or some teens for a joke. Anywho he is all better now!!
My gosh, your Vet thinks your dog was drugged? Or did he mean poisoned? It sounded neurological to me, having had similar but less severe symptoms in one of mne that was spondylosis and disk disease.

Were his eyes OK? Vestibular Disease might be one to google up on too but normally the recovery from that is much longer than a few days.

He is completely OK now? That's good but you'd like to know what it was.
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Has he recently been given any heartworm drugs? He could have the mdr1 mutation.
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
My gosh, your Vet thinks your dog was drugged? Or did he mean poisoned? It sounded neurological to me, having had similar but less severe symptoms in one of mne that was spondylosis and disk disease.

Were his eyes OK? Vestibular Disease might be one to google up on too but normally the recovery from that is much longer than a few days.

His eyes were fine, and his blood work came back normal. he is completely okay now, back to his normal self.
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post

My vet says he had all the symptoms of being high, they had him on fluids and he recovered fast, with that. it was not neurological the did tests and he was fine there,
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Has he recently been given any heartworm drugs? He could have the mdr1 mutation.
there is no heartworm in the area where i live
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I updated the title for you and so glad to hear your dooger is better
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Tags
can't move, sheltie, week