Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 27th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Question Leash/Crate Training & Separation Anxiety

hello everyone
i'm a recent member and i'm so happy that i've found this forum!!

i have questions concerning leash or lead training, crating my dog and separation anxiety.

i currently have 3 dogs, all of which we've had since birth, (Daphne 13yr old Miniature Daushund, Turk 8yr old Samoid/Lab, & Racy 3yr old Boarder Collie X) i've been living in a rural area with acreage and the dogs have always roamed freely with us outdoors, otherwise they are in the house. in the near future my spouse and i intend to separate and i'm moving into a smaller house closer to town, but i'm told i may only take "my" dog Racy with me. there is a dog park nearby and she will still have her usual morning/evening run/playtime, pottie times etc...

she has been my constant companion since i acquired her at 7 wks old and she goes everywhere with me; she's very loyal. she has learned many commands and she listens well but since she joined the family she has never had any formal leash training or has never been tied or crated.

my questions are:

1. can Racy be now taught effective lead training even though she has never had previous training?

2. would it be advisable or is it possible to crate train her now that she will be spending more unsupervised time indoors?

3. will she suffer intense separation anxiety once she is removed from the other 2 dogs or now that she will be "home alone" while i'm at work?

i'm not in a position to leave her behind (not that i'd want to) because in the past my spouse has mistreated her when he was angry with me but i could use some reassurance that she will be able to adjust to this new situation with just the 2 of us...

i would appreciate any advise anyone has to offer or if i have overlooked any unforeseeable problems that i may need to tend to, plz feel free to comment...

thx in advance...

Heather