Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, like chico said, doesn't matter what others say, you do what you need to.

We will be here to support you on what ever decision you make.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Pet Guardian

I am so sorry honey. Here are some questions:

1. what does he EXACTLY have and if we do not know yet, how do we find out? what will that cost?

I would committ to findng out for sure what it is because then you ask:
1. what is the prognosis?
2. is this treatable? how? for how long? how much $?

Simba had a mass cell cancer thingy on her chest. It was after her horror with her teeth. I was so scared to let them remove it but if I didn't i knew she would die from it. I opted to remove it. i am glad i did. she is doing well and is still here with me.

Update us when you can. I have been there and know how nerve racking and horrible this is. Think it through and don't jump to any decisions! Get all the facts first!

Charlie

Do not let ANYONE but you and Charlie decide what is best for him. No one else. Just you two. Explain to him what is happening in words. They understand ore than you think they do!
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
*sigh* so the vet just called and unfortunately I don't have any good news. He says it looks like there's a "space-occupying lesion" in his lung and that he's not sure whether it's cancer. This accounts for the breathing difficulties and he's not sure if these lesions may have started in the liver and metastasized to the lungs, or whether the liver problems are caused by the lesions in his lungs (i.e. it would be secondary fatty liver, not primary).

The liver looks "dense", not healthy but he didn't mention how abnormal. Apparently the lungs look quite abnormal. I'm supposed to go in later to look at the x-rays with the vet and discuss our next step...

I think I'm going to go get sick now...
another question:
is the lesion inside the lung or on the outside of the lung (easier to remove on outside i would think)
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
He's never eaten anything that was mentioned in the news, but it's possible there have been recalls I haven't heard about. Was Wellness recalled recently, or something?
There have been no recalls regarding Wellness.

Quote:
I never noticed him breathing heavily before. It was once he was at the emerg hospital that the vet noted an elevated respiratory rate, and open-mouth breathing (which apparently cats should never do).
That is correct cats should never open mouth breath and believe me it's pretty scary when they do.

Quote:
it looks like there's a "space-occupying lesion" in his lung and that he's not sure whether it's cancer. This accounts for the breathing difficulties and he's not sure if these lesions may have started in the liver and metastasized to the lungs, or whether the liver problems are caused by the lesions in his lungs (i.e. it would be secondary fatty liver, not primary).

The liver looks "dense", not healthy but he didn't mention how abnormal. Apparently the lungs look quite abnormal.
The liver issue may also be secondary as in - the progression of the lung issue caused a lack of appetite therefore hepatic lipidosis appears at the same time. Approximately 2 weeks of eating 1/2 - 3/4 the normal
amount of food is needed to develop a fatty liver.

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about space-occupying lesions? I can't find anything about pulmonary SOLs, just intracranial SOLs - and it says they can mean cancer, but also hemorraghes (sp?). Don't know if that's a possibility in the lungs, or what other tests would have to be done to figure it out...
If you want to read some fairly medically heavy info there's some sections available online from Pleural Space Disease - Textbook of respiratory disease in dogs and cats By Lesley G. King

Basically in the lungs a space occupying lesion can refer to trapped fluid, air, soft tissue - ie cancer or a hernia. Depending on which it is there are different treatment options.

Charlie

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Live well, laugh often

I have no advice but wanted to send some hugs of support your way. I know these are tough decisions but we are here to help in whatever way we can.

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Senior Contributor

EOF, I am so sorry to hear about charlie. I'm thinking and praying for both of you. HUGS

I understand how much u love him as I feel the same about my fur babies as I think everyone on this board does too.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Pet Guardian

EOF: what is the latest update?
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I've been extremely upset and avoiding this. We had to let our dear Charlie cross the rainbow bridge yesterday.

The vet showed us his X-rays. She said cancer was the only thing that fit his symptoms. She showed me how very irregular his left lung looked...it was being squeezed by what was most likely a tumor, so Charlie was only breathing with one lung most of the time. The lesions also appeared on one of his kidneys (hence why he was having urine leakage the last couple days) and his liver was so dense, you couldn't even make it out on the X-ray. She didn't even give us an option for treatment. When I asked if anything could be done, she said she was very hesitant to do any treatments (i.e. feeding tube) or tests (i.e. biopsies or aspirations) that required anesthesia, because he was only breathing with one lung. She also said it would be very expensive but she believed any treatment would only buy us a few weeks, and he would have to be on a feeding tube and probably an IV drip.

She let us spend some time with him and I couldn't believe how quickly he had deteriorated from Saturday. He was very jaundiced...his eyes were so yellow...he would not purr or meow, and kept hanging his head low to the table on which he was sitting. He kept trying to hide. The vet was concerned about him starting to have seizures as well, because of the liver failure.

So we made the incredibly painful decision to let him go. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. My last image of him is burned into my brain like a scene from a horror movie. It wasn't like he had just gone to sleep, because his eyes were still open. I can't eat or sleep because I am so stressed thinking, what if there were other options? should I have gotten a second opinion? what if the vet was wrong?

I'm going to start a proper thread in the rainbow bridge section. If anyone wants to discuss anything further about his illness, feel free to post here. I'll check back periodically...
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I'm so sorry. I had hoped he had something treatable that he would recover from.

Charlie
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Don't try to second guess yourself, you did the absolute right thing. I want to cry for you, I know how bad you are hurting right now.

I lost my Snowball to cancer, took only a matter of weeks to go from noticing a slight limp to his passing, and I put him down a week too late. A decision I regret to this day because it was purely selfish. Charlie wanted to go and he will be eternally grateful that you allowed him to.

Charlie

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

EOF...I am so very sorry. I'm sitting reading this with tears in my eyes. I feel your pain and your loss. I am so dreadfully sorry.

dear sweet Charlie.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks guys. I'm crying again too. It doesn't even feel real yet. I woke up yesterday (feel asleep on the couch because I was so exhausted from the emotion of it all) and jumped online to see what else you guys had said about possible treatments/tests, etc. And then I remembered he was already gone...

I've got Charlie's rainbow bridge page up...
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM

EOF...I just wanted to send you my deepest condolences. Don't second guess yourself.

Charlie
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Don't second guess yourself EoF. It was time. With that many organs involved, anything you would have tried would have given you at best a few more days and at worst, would have killed him outright. Instead you gave him a blessed release and he took your last gift with him--your love. So no regrets.

He sounds like such a sweet soul--you know he's watching over you now.

Charlie

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Don't second guess yourself EoF. It was time. With that many organs involved, anything you would have tried would have given you at best a few more days and at worst, would have killed him outright. Instead you gave him a blessed release and he took your last gift with him--your love. So no regrets.

He sounds like such a sweet soul--you know he's watching over you now.

Charlie
Thanks HRP. You have no idea how much better this made me feel. I truly, truly appreciate it. And everyone else's kind words as well.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Pet Guardian

EOF I am so sorry you had to make this decision. Do not second guess yourself. You wanted to spare Charlie alot of misery and pain. Charlie

Get some sleep. Look at pictures you have of him to burn those images in your brain. Remember you spared him pain and suffering. You did what you could.

Through all this with Simba there was one time I thought she truly was going to die. I talked and loved her through it and decided i would keep fighting for her until she told me no more. If charlie's head was hanging and he couldn't breathe and only weeks could be spared, you did the right thing. I know it feels

to you
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
EOF I am so sorry you had to make this decision. Do not second guess yourself. You wanted to spare Charlie alot of misery and pain. Charlie

Get some sleep. Look at pictures you have of him to burn those images in your brain. Remember you spared him pain and suffering. You did what you could.

Through all this with Simba there was one time I thought she truly was going to die. I talked and loved her through it and decided i would keep fighting for her until she told me no more. If charlie's head was hanging and he couldn't breathe and only weeks could be spared, you did the right thing. I know it feels

to you
Thanks meow. This honestly means a lot coming from you, because I know you're such a fighter. Charlie was a fighter too, but I could tell he couldn't fight it any longer. He just wasn't happy. I feel a little better about it now.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm a softy

Oh please dont second guess yourself, you did everything and beyond, and in the end gave him the greatest most selfless gift we can ever give our pets when we love them so much, you released him from this sickness and pain, and set him free, even though it hurts you so. You did everything that could be done, my wish for you is that you can find peace in that, best wishes.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Thanks meow. This honestly means a lot coming from you, because I know you're such a fighter. Charlie was a fighter too, but I could tell he couldn't fight it any longer. He just wasn't happy. I feel a little better about it now.
YOU know when they want to go and that is when you let them go...not when they still want to be here. You knew.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

EoF,I am so very,very sorry
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM

EoF I'm so sorry

As painful as it is for you, it was the right choice for Charlie don't doubt that, he was telling you it was time :sad:

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You
Charlie is still with you

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying