Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old July 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Cute, but deadly ... Still!

Well, Cookie has passed her 1 year anniversary of Gotcha Day. It was July 5th, 2008.

She is a clean kitty, apparently healthy ... cute as a button ... BUT, she is still very aggressive with me. Not the men in the house, just me.

I have no doubt that she was not ready to leave her mama, not fully socialized at 7 weeks.
So now the problem is that I taught her how to be social ... and, I know, very bad, but I played with her with my hands when she was younger.

She terrorizes me at random, almost daily, whenever the mood strikes her. She gives a certain head tilt and then LOOKOUT! She attacks my legs.

Sometimes its just a playful run and bounce off my leg while I'm in motion.
Sometimes, I do nothing to antagonize her, am in fact not aware she's there, and she just sinks her teeth into the bare calves.

She NEVER does this to the hubby or kids (all males). I think I'm pretty good to her, I am very much a cat lover and always have been ... but I just don't get her attitude???

I've had a lot of kitties over my life time, and I don't believe I've raised this one any differently than the rest ... Why is she SOOOOO mean?
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Catlover2

Because you let her? Seriously, walk around with a squirt bottle of water on your belt and when she attacks your legs, give her a squirt in her face. If she catches you unaware, immediately hunt her down and squirt her in the face. On the other hand, do play with her, give her treats and give her lots of affection when she is being a good girl. She'll soon get the idea you're not going to be bullied and dominated and you will not put up with her aggressive behaviour. Besides cat bites can be very bad and if not treated immediately with soap washing and polysporin can result in a nasty infection. It's your health that's at stake here!
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you think her intentions are truly mean, or is she maybe *just* taking her play with you to a more aggressive level? For instance, when my current kitty's brother was still alive, he loved to do full-body-tackle sneak attacks on Aztec. It wasn't a hostile thing, it just gave him great pleasure to scare the crap out of him. Aztec would return the favour with a good bite-n-pin move and then Wrestlemania IV was on. Good times were had by all. Not so much fun when you're the soft-fleshed human recipient, I'm sure. My point is that perhaps Cookie feels more comfortable playing with you in that manner than she does with the boys. You are more of a "peer" to her.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM

I freely admit, I have taught her to play hard from the beginning ... rolling her around on the floor and teasing her tummy, very hands on play, so if she bites my hand, I know it's my own fault. She appears to get visibly miffed at me if I'm "winning" at our play fights, at which time I back off and try to calm her down. I do not hurt her.

I also taught her, by example, to hide and jump out when your victim walks by ... and, she is very good at this game. We also play with fishing type toys, fetch and make her box structures in the living room.

I didn't really think it was mean-spirited until she began with the unprovoked attacks. With these, she is PSYCHO, and it's very hard to get her distracted from hurting me. Sounds weird, even to me, but the look she has is full of INTENT to do harm!

She doesn't hate me ... I'm the only one she comes to when called, when I wake up or come home she meets at the door and is all purrs and wants to rub heads with me. She is not a snuggly cat, not with any of her humans, she doesn't sit on your lap and prefers to sleep in her own bed, not on anyone.

I guess I'll try the water bottle thing on her and see if that sends the message. In the past she has responded to discipline with some serious attitude.
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Catlover2

Do try the squirt bottle and also the PSSST sound, if you don't have the bottle as a warning from you if she looks bent on an attack. Watch to see if her pupils are dilated and ears back? Rattle a can of pebbles to distract her or stamp your feet, then throw a toy for her. Give her lots of play with the fishing toys, etc., toy in a box, and lots of affection when she's calm and wants the affection. Be careful not to overstimulate her by too much tho. If her tail starts swishing, she's had enough. If after a couple of weeks of spray bottle and trying to distract her when she's in 'attack mode' and she's not responding or is escalating her attacks with a nasty attitude and vicious biting, it's possible she is psycho. It's rare but there are psycho cats just like pscho people--like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. I had one once in my lifetime. Never knew when he was going to be nice or nasty, and would attack without provocation. Never could figure out if anything was triggering it. Occasionally it was jealousy....if I paid attention to another cat or someone and not him, but that wasn't always the case. But, if she were truly psycho she'd be like that with your husband and kids, and she isn't, so in a way it does seem a dominant thing with you. I haven't used any of those Feliway diffusers that calm cats, but others have had mixed results. I don't really recommend medication, but as a last resort maybe your vet could recommend some sort of tranquilizer may help her out of this attack mode. Good luck! Give us an update.

Last edited by catlover2; July 12th, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Wouldn't you know, since I posted this thread she's been an angel ...

Maybe just the sight of the squirt bottle at the ready???

She's never been disciplined with water before tho', so this makes me hopeful that she's just ready now to turn into Ms. Snuggles.

Thank you for your input!
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Catlover2

Thanks for the update. Good to hear she's Ms. Snuggles now, instead of Ms. Cookie Demon. Do give her lots of attention and reward her for good behavior to show her you do love her, but are not going to stand for any more biting. Don't hestitate to use the spray bottle if she tries again. Hope she continues being a good girl.
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I prefer a few pennies in a pop can and shaking the heck outta it to the water in the face bit.

Have u tried saying NO in a loud voice to her before she attacks? And when she bites u yelloing OWWWWWWWWW really loud?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Nino can be a bit aggressive too, but mostly just noise and smacking the air with a paw. I've discovered that treats are working well and so is putting him by himself for a while calms him down.

This afternoon, he shared treats with everybody, and managed to be very close and not have a hissy fit. He let out one good bobcat yowl today at Bobee. He seems to be a real drama king!! I thought about the water spray thing but then thought nah we'll try goodies first. I'm trying to get him to play a bit more and get rid of some of that energy.
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Patty I hope u are giving him treats when he is good not when he does something bad. Cause he will think if he is bad he will get a treat. Sort of causes a vicious circle, no pun intended.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Thanks TQ, nope only treat when they're being good. Seems to be getting through to him. He's ALOT better now. They can all manage to have goodies together now. I haven't heard his 'bobcat' scream in a few days now. There's still some grumbling and he still smacks the dog every now and then. They can all be in the same room together now without major hissy fits. He spent the night in the house with everybody and I only heard one little po'd snarl. It wasn't enough to get me out of bed to investigate!!
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the reply TQ.

Saying No and yelling OWWW does not make her back down.

I know this sounds weak, but she really seems to take it as a personal insult when I try to discipline her. She doesn't like to be yelled at, finger-pointed at, paws squeezed, etc etc. When I say she doesn't like, I mean she gets this ears back, head-titled to one side, focused completely for attack, "I'm going to kill you" look.

The positive side is ... she hasn't drawn blood since my last post and I have been carrying the water bottle but have not had to use it!

Still no snuggles coming my way either, but at least we seem to have a truce.
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Catlover2

Good! no attacks. Gr8 to hear an update. Patience is the key---just keep rewarding good behavior and giving her attention with lots of cheek, head and back scratches or spots she really enjoys for as long as she wants or can tolerate. Some cats never are lap cats, but just like to be beside or near you. Tell her what a good girl she is and think positive thoughts. It may take Cookie a while, but one day she may surprise you and decide she wants to give you a head butt=hug or touch noses=kiss.