Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM

salon article "truth about cat and dog food"

This will be a bit basic for many of you, but as a rookie I found it interesting:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/05/24/pet_food/
(You may have to click on an ad to read the full article, but you don't have to subscribe)
Laurie
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Hi Lauriet!

Welcome to the group.

I read your article and would like to suggest that you read the article posted in this thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40655

While the article that you suggested us to read did have a couple of accurate points, I do not feel that the author was qualified to write the piece.... and am saddened that such an article would be published as fact.

The first comment that caught my eye was:

Quote:
The tainted products, which allegedly killed or sickened thousands of dogs and cats, ranged from cheap Wal-Mart store brand Ol' Roy to high-end labels such as Iams and Eukanuba.
I haven't heard of Iams and Eukanuba described as high-end labels... and feel that they are both poor quality pet foods.

A couple other troubling quotes include:

Quote:
"There aren't enough high-quality ingredients to make all the pet food sold in this country," Hofve says. "Somebody is using the crap."
While I agree that somebody is using the crap I do not buy for a minute that there isn't enough food for our pets to eat healthy. If people demanded that their pets eat correctly then a chain reaction would be started that would include an increase of cattle, chicken, bison, ect at farms to meet the demands.

Quote:
The good news for pets and owners is that animal byproducts in pet food may not be as gruesome as feared.
I think that this is a dangerous quote to put in an article that is supposed to be educating the public on pet foods.

I know that you meant well.... and want to thank you for the thought.

Take care.
ChancesMom
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Hi again -- just put that one out there because, as I said, I found it "interesting" and it might stir up a bit of discussion... especially with a headline like The Truth About ... (too cocky to be left alone, no?)
The discussion here can get so passionate at times, yet I find a value in hearing from those other voices and views, even if I don't agree with them.
cheers,
Laurie