Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM

Strong-armed by my cat

Greetings, everyone. I hope everyone and their pets are in great health and spirits. This is my first post and based on the questions, comments, and responses I've been reading here, it seems I'm in the right place.

Frederick-Douglas is a wonderfully sweet and overly-needy 12 y/o DSH that I have basically had since he was born. I did give him to a friend as a kitten, but when she had her son Frederick began urinating in her son's crib and she asked if I would take him back. I did so gladly. I didn't have any problems for the first few years, but over time he began urinating around the house and I didn't know why exactly. Now it seems I have an idea but not sure if that's the real reason or not. As I mentioned previously, he's extremely needy and very demanding of attention. He will whine constantly and rub against me no matter what I'm doing until I pet him. While I love that he enjoys my attention so much, it is annoying when I am unable to finish regular activities in a timely manner simply because I have to keep stopping to pay attention to him. It seems that if I don't give him attention exactly when he demands it, he punishes me by urinating somewhere in the apartment. As it stands, I have to throw out my sofa and have had to throw away numerous clothing items and even a comforter because of his urinating. I love him with all my heart but his urination outside the litter box has become unbearable and I'm seriously considering giving him up. I know it sounds terrible because I've had him so long but I don't know what to do. This has been going on so long and he's wreaking havoc in my apartment. I hate to even type the words because he is so sweet and has been a companion for so long, but I'm at my wit's end and don't know what else to do. He has no health issues that contribute to this behavior. The litter boxes will be clean and he still urinates outside of the litter boxes. I've tried various types of litter and that still doesn't work. My only guess is for this problem is that if he's not getting the tremendous amount of attention that he wants, he urinates somewhere in the apartment. Sometimes I feel like I'm being strong-armed into showing affection because I'm scared that if I don't, I'll be punished with urine somewhere in my home. Not a nice way to live and it is becoming a strain on my relationship with him. I'm giving him attention not so much from the heart but just so he won't urinate on anything. I'm so frustrated and even about to cry as I type this. I don't know what to do. I love him with all my heart but I'm really starting not to like him because of this. Does anyone have any suggestions before I reach a point of desperation and take him to a shelter? All the local no-kill shelters are full and I hate to think of him being euthanized if I take him to a regular shelter. I just don't know what to do...