Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Red face boxer with demodex

My boxer Lily was diagnosed with demodectic mange when she was only 4 months old. She started losing some hair and then she started with the red bumps on her face. It didn't seem to bother her too much and the vet put her on antibiotics for any infection and also advantage multi which is used to control the mite population. It seemed to work for a while but every time she stopped the antibiotics the red bumps would come back and spread even further. After a couple of months of this treatment the vet decided to put her on Ivermectin which is working wonders. Sorry for the long winded intro before my actual question. Lilys hair is growing back in nicely but her skin is a little dry. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could give her to get rid of her dry flaky skin? Thanks Anyone, JulieV
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM
-

I would give her coconut oil. You can get it at the health food store...make sure it says "organic extra virgin" on the label.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We use a product called Lipiderm that has omega-6 and omega-3 oils in it. Does wonders for dry skin, even if we only give it as a supplement 2 or 3 times a week. It keeps their skin conditioned plus it may boost their immune systems (which omega-6's are reputed to do). It really helped Macie as she was recovering from her bout of demodectic mange--and it's totally eliminated Cass's itching, flaking winter skin problem.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Smile Dry coat

Thanks for your reply. I love this site. Where do I get the lipiderm from? Is it available at places like petsmart etc. or would I get it from the pharmacy? JulieV.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
-

Coconut oil has been discussed here many times. I did a search and here a a couple of the threads....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ht=coconut+oil

Old February 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lipiderm can be bought OTC at places like Petco--or online. Just do a search on "lipiderm"...or check local pet supply places.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
-

HA HA....looks like I spent too long searching.

Hazel, does Lipiderm have Vitamin E in it as well as fish oil?
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
HA HA....looks like I spent too long searching.

Hazel, does Lipiderm have Vitamin E in it as well as fish oil?
It has vitamins A (1500 IU) and E (10 IU: d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate), Zinc (7.5 mg), 4 omega-3 acids and Linoleic Acid (omega-6). Seems to work pretty well. We decided not to give it to them every night because of the vitamin A, but they get it 2 or 3 times each week during the fall and winter.

Old February 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
-

I wonder why they put Vitamin A in? The Vitamin E is needed because the Fish Oils deplete the body of it. I've been using the regular Salmon/Fish Oil capsules and giving them a Vitamin E capsule a couple times a week. I switch to the coconut oil every once in a while when we can afford it.
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I guess Vitamin A is good for skin--or at least there are a lot of products (Retinol-containing lotions, etc) that include it. But since it's stored in the fat and can cause some nasty damage if you have too much of it, I've always used products containing it very cautiously.