Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM

Mouse traps - I felt soooo bad today....

we have some Mice in our shed outside, since we live in a Townhouse the management want them killed and put out sticky traps yesterday.

Today I go out to the shed not even thinking of a mouse, here is a baby mouse dead on the trap and her mommy still alive looking at me, I tried to get her off, there is no way, they are stuck...that had to been the cruelest thing ever...I took up all the sticky traps, heck with management they can live in my shed..soo sad
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I don't have the heart to use lethal traps, either, but hubby doesn't like mice in the garage. So I trap them in live traps and transport them (or have him transport them) to the end of the drive and release them. And yes, I know they probably beat me back to the garage before I've reached the house, but it makes hubby happy thinking they're finding a new home somewhere else! And if a 'new' mouse moves in overnight, well, I guess we'll just have to put the live traps out again and take care of 'that one', too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I don't have the heart to use lethal traps, either, but hubby doesn't like mice in the garage. So I trap them in live traps and transport them (or have him transport them) to the end of the drive and release them. And yes, I know they probably beat me back to the garage before I've reached the house, but it makes hubby happy thinking they're finding a new home somewhere else! And if a 'new' mouse moves in overnight, well, I guess we'll just have to put the live traps out again and take care of 'that one', too!
Lol...you sound like me, where can I get a live trap for them..I might have a few babies now, since they killed mommy
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Claudia,sticky traps are the absolute worst,I don't blame you for feeling sad,I would pick them all up
Like Hazel says,there are humane traps...
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've seen them in hardware stores, Claudia. They're just a little plastic box with one end being a falling door. Bait them, set the door and check frequently to see if the door is closed. If it is, take the trap to the release area and open the door to release. Pretty easy and you don't even have to handle the mouse.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I hear your frustration Claudia36oh, these things bother me greatly as well. I've edited the thread title to make it easy for others to find the information. Thx - marko

Quote:
I don't have the heart to use lethal traps, either, but hubby doesn't like mice in the garage. So I trap them in live traps and transport them (or have him transport them) to the end of the drive and release them. And yes, I know they probably beat me back to the garage before I've reached the house, but it makes hubby happy thinking they're finding a new home somewhere else! And if a 'new' mouse moves in overnight, well, I guess we'll just have to put the live traps out again and take care of 'that one', too! .....................
......I've seen them in hardware stores, Claudia. They're just a little plastic box with one end being a falling door. Bait them, set the door and check frequently to see if the door is closed. If it is, take the trap to the release area and open the door to release. Pretty easy and you don't even have to handle the mouse.
+1

HRP - if you wanted to throw in a link in this thread to where these live traps can be bought, that would be great!

Thx!
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Live traps can be purchased at home depot, they are quite large (tin) or you can purchase the smaller one mouse per trap ones.

for any further sticky trap situations, you can remove the mice using rubbing alcohol. use an exacto knife to cut away all but the square around the mouse and use a low dessert plate, sit the mouse there and pour in enough rubbing alcohol to barely cover her feet, she will work them free, I had to hold the paper trap in place so she could move without taking it with her.
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Live traps can be purchased at home depot, they are quite large (tin) or you can purchase the smaller one mouse per trap ones.

for any further sticky trap situations, you can remove the mice using rubbing alcohol. use an exacto knife to cut away all but the square around the mouse and use a low dessert plate, sit the mouse there and pour in enough rubbing alcohol to barely cover her feet, she will work them free, I had to hold the paper trap in place so she could move without taking it with her.
AWESOME advice Melinda!

Here's an image of one of the cheaper traps plus link at home depot in canada. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/vict...display/909579
Attached Images

Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:03 AM

Thank you, thank you for all the great tips...gonna hunt me a live trap today,
we don't have a home depot, but I'm pretty sure I can find one at Menards or Lowes, thanks again.
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

we use the large tin one, its actually kinda cute in a gross way, there are little air vents at each end, if you hold it up they all run to the vents, stick their little paws out and look up at you *L* we had 8 in there at one time, hubs takes them for a "bush" walk and empties it (these are from our porch attic, not attached to the house) anyways, always make sure none are hiding under the little ramps ....................HE forgot, and as I went to wash the trap under my kitchen taps a little one jumped out at me *LOL* comical at 5:30 am to see me dancing around the kitchen in my granny flannels with a tropical fish net trying to catch a very very wet mouse running around my counter!!!
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,I have a vivid pic of that in my head
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Where was DH with the video cam when you needed him!!!

The pic you posted looks very similar to the ones we use, Marko. Glad you found a link

Old June 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

hubby was behind me laughing his fool head off and holding Brina who wanted in on the chase!!
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:39 PM

omg..that's funny
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Here is my live trap..already got 2 mice, they where sooo happy to jump of
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad it worked so well! Looks like the deluxe model!

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
You can call me DOG!

We have mice that enter our warehouse and we bought traps similar to the one Marko posted.

Our warehouse manager checks the traps daily and takes them across the street to an abandoned field to release.

Hope the new trap works for you Claudia.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Glad it worked so well! Looks like the deluxe model!
It was only $20 well worth it..you should of seen the two I caught jumping out, too cute..will have to take a picture with the next one
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Claudia,it looks huge,how big is it??
Maybe we can put one in the shed??
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:32 AM

It not very big, about 10 inches long and 3 inches wide..had another one this morning..lol
Chloe, Golden Retriever born 10/2008

Always in my heart Spice, Peanut and little Charlie
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Excellent! What are you using to bait them into the trap?

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

At my friends work they use live traps, once they trap them they give them a little spritz of spray paint on their back to mark them. They track whether the mice are repeat offenders Amazingly enough, most of them never come back.
I think the origin of the marking was to prove to the fans of less humane measures that the live trap method actually works. Might be worth trying this, so you can prove to management that you're actually helping with the mouse problem, otherwise they might want to put the glue traps back (actually the "snap" traps, although they still kill, are way more humane! - might be worth a suggestion if they insist on deadly force)
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, that's a good idea! I get the feeling that the mice we relocate from the garage are beating us back to the house Never thought to mark them to see if that's true! Do they make nontoxic spray paint, though?

Old June 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never heard of sticky traps, other than the long, hanging fly ones. That sounds horrible.

Neither of the photos of live traps looks like our live mouse one. It's about the size of a one inch thick book. I'm gonna go google to see if I can find a photo.

Marking the wee things is a good idea. The OH doesn't want mice making nests in the upholstery of the car he stores in the garage (the one that doesn't run while the ones we use sit out in the snow and sun ) It would be interesting to see how many, if any, get trapped over and over.

http://www.qfonic.com/home-outdoors-...h8vinoiflvdif4

It looks like this.
Old June 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Longblades that looks great too,they are cute little buggers.
Here they are Deer-Mice,with their white little socks.

They did however build nests in our snowblower,leafblower and lawnmower,caused a lot of damage.
We bought a new shed,made of that plasticy material and so far no mice have been getting in and we keep bird-seeds,suet and all kinds of stuff in there.
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM

Hazel, I use peanut butter to bait and it works great, got 4 so far in the life trap

Old June 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We use peanuts, Claudia, so it must be a flavor they like a lot!

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM

I know they like any type of bird seeds too, found a big hole in mine I kept outside

I'm actually having fun catching these little cuties and setting them free, had a really little one last time I checked tonight, it was kinda scared to walk out of the trap, had to make him go, he looked back at me and then literally hoped away..lol

Old June 13th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Senior Contributor

thats the exact one we have longblades, see where the two ramps are?? *L* thats where one was hiding, Claudia, they say if you release 1/2 mile from the house they won't return, we "dabbed" them with a marker and we only had one repeat customer last winter.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Here is one of the three I caught today..lol
Attached Images