Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 11th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

New designer breed *sigh*

Well, maybe it's not new, but it's the first time I have ever heard of it!

A Bassadore!! a lab, bassett cross, I saw one today in our local pet store (I go in there, and comment loudly, how they are all puppy mill puppies) I felt so sorry for him :sad: , he looked like a lab, but had very short legs ( it almost looked like he was deformed) and the price tag was $1895.00

When are people going to open their eys and see these are just mutts, ,with fancy names?????

Please don't flame me, I love mutts , but not for profit, and not because they have a fancy name!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:28 PM
banned user

What I don't get is why ppl would pay so much money for one.

How can ya not know you can get a mutt from a shelter and make up your own name for it for a fraction of the cost! Imagine if everyone did that and then donated the extra money to a rescue/shelter.... yeah I guess I'm dreamin of a perfect world.

Oh btw, I've never heard of the bassador either.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Ouch. Poor basset hound. And people call themselves the smartest species.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Cat Whisperer

Ugh... every dog I've seen like that (a smaller dog crossed with a bigger breed) has invariably had serious health problems, and many have to be put to sleep.
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
owned by Tucker

There is no such thing as a new designer breed, dogs have been doing that since the begining of time.lol
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Gawd!! Not another one , yep, sometimes I wonder about the human race!
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

My diagnosis is this dog will suffer from debilitating arthritis.
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Arthritis, hip dysplasia and back problems are my guesses.
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Performance Spaniels

I saw a dorkie in a pet store. I nearly choked. Who wants a dog called a dorkie......
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:13 PM

I knew a...

basset hound/St Bernard back when I was a teenager. He belonged to people who had a cottage where we did. They adopted him for the Toronto HS as a young adult. Zack looked just like a Saint, only with basset legs!!! Now who would have ever thought THAT would happen?!?!? They never did think up a name for "the breed"....maybe a bast - ard hound?

Jenny
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
owned by Tucker

Dorkie umm maybe a dash hound, yorkie?
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Agility Addict

My friend has a basset-lab mix! But he took him in as a stray (apparently) up in northern ontario.
He has the lab face, with basset legs (slightly longer) - he is chocolate brown and is the`silliest dog you`ve ever come across. By silly I almost mean dumb - he doesn`t hunt, can`t be trusted off-leash, can`t read others dog`s body language and doesn`t have any obedience training. My friend blames it on the fact that he was already 2 when he got him so there was nothing he could do?? The best part is that his girlfriend is a recent vet tech grad (who had to vounteer at the humane society) and hasn`t helped me to convince him to neuter the dog! They have had this dog for a couple of years now - he spent the money on a stereo systme for his car and is now going to lease one - no plans to neuter though! Don`t people think!??

Melissa
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

This is just another example of self-gratification.
"I WANT a certain car, I WANT a certain house, and I WANT a certain DOG to go with it..."

to me that's what these morons have to be thinking....

And yet, many are interested in what is deemed "eco-safe" nowadays for humans...people are more and more careful of themselves..organic diets,evian water,O2 bars!!.and yet dogs are rendered sick and genetically deficient as a result of jerks like this....

Go figure.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:36 AM

Bassador

I have a Bassador!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you dont know anything about them you dont need to make comments--- It just makes you look uneducated! Obviously people are wanting these dogs if they are willing to pay almost 2 G's for it, and also my dog (Bassador) is by far one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen. Very protective over my children, very trustworthy. When you mix some breeds it is b/c the breed along must have sucked!!! Labs are smart and good dogs Basset Hounds are calm dogs, very laid back------ Mix them together and you get a very cute!!! very calm!!! and very obiedient dog!!! If you think it is stupid that is on you but until you know a little more about them, then you making a comment does not make you look so smart . Oh and btw she is extremely healthy and these are not a new breed, they have been around for at least 4 years, but you would not know that would you? Because you dont know what you are talking about. You all have internet go educate yourself and research it so when you run your mouth you dont look so stupid! Hope you all have a great week!
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

4 years is a NEW breed to me.

And, I think the point of the initial post was...is this breed necessary? Why even bother? There are so many unwanted pets out there that are crosses, wouldn't it be best to just adopt one of them rather than have pets breed to create a new cross all for someone to make $$$$.

Also, you can't cross 2 breeds that are so different and not to expect to end up with health problems. There are reasons larger dogs shouldn't be breed to smaller ones, etc. The limbs need to be able to support the body, etc.

I'm glad you enjoy your Bassador, but that in no way makes it a "good" idea to have breed these two together to create yet ANOTHER type of dog that becomes a novelty. There are just too many unwanted pets out there and I can't believe anyone would think it is a good idea to purposely breed an animal to bring more in to the world.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:31 AM

4 years is a new- wait- it's not even a breed! You may love your mutt, and I love mine, but no way do the sellers deserve $2000 of anybody's money.

Want a calm, obedient dog? Then train your dog and exercise him and VOILA! I have two of them.

Instead of "educating" us, why not go here: http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/ and learn something for yourself.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassador Mommy View Post
If you dont know anything about them you dont need to make comments--- It just makes you look uneducated!
When you mix some breeds it is b/c the breed along must have sucked!!! Labs are smart and good dogs Basset Hounds are calm dogs, very laid back------ Mix them together and you get a very cute!!! very calm!!! and very obiedient dog!!! If you think it is stupid that is on you but until you know a little more about them, then you making a comment does not make you look so smart . Oh and btw she is extremely healthy and these are not a new breed, they have been around for at least 4 years, but you would not know that would you? Because you dont know what you are talking about. You all have internet go educate yourself and research it so when you run your mouth you dont look so stupid! Hope you all have a great week!
if the comments here have offended you, but your response is not only argumentative and rude, it is misinformed. Perhaps you should check the definition of a "breed" before you accuse others of being uneducated.

From Encarta:
Quote:
breed: noun (plural breeds)
Definition:

1. from biology: distinct animal or plant: a strain of an animal or plant with identifiable characteristics that distinguish it from other members of its species, especially one whose characteristics are preserved by controlled mating or propagation

2. somebody or something of particular type: a particular type of thing or person, especially one that can be easily distinguished from other similar things or people
Giving your dog a cute name does not make it a new breed-it is a cross between a basset hound and a labrador. Period. Could be the best dog in the world, it still is not a representative of a new breed.

A breed of dog (or cat or apple tree) reliably produces offspring with certain recognizable traits-a lab and a lab give you lab puppies. Your "bassadore" crossed with another "bassadore" would produce puppies of wildly different traits, some favouring the basset hound and some favouring the lab. You could get long-legged hounds and stumpy legged labs or anything in between-all in the same litter. That is NOT what a breed is. There are not years and generations of breeding involved to produce a consistent type of dog.

What you have is the result of someone taking any bassett hound and any lab and mating them (if it was even on purpose). You lucked out with a wonderful and healthy dog. You could just as easily gotten a dog with the worst traits of both breeds and all the health issues of careless and unethical breeding.

Quote:
Obviously people are wanting these dogs if they are willing to pay almost 2 G's for it
All I have to say to that is to quote PT Barnum-"There's a sucker born every minute". A search of your local animal shelter would turn up any number of mixed breeds at a fraction of the price of "designer" breeds, and you'd be rescuing an animal at the same time.

Signed,
A Proud Mutt Owner.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad

Last edited by Skryker; February 19th, 2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Couldnt have said it better myself Skryker

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Boss-lady!

Thanks, Scott! I didn't mean to be quite so cranky , but I really, really hate this designer breed stuff. What's wrong with saying you have a mutt?

(And why pay $$$$ for a "breed" that doesn't exist, when 15 minutes of research about dogs can let you know that what you're buying isn't a breed at all? )

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Honest Contributor

OMG what a funny coincidence... yesterday we saw what we THINK is a bassadore-type mutt on the street and we both went "oh geez that poor ugly dog!" really he looked like a fat black lab with stumps for legs! sooo pathetic looking, unbalanced, just so "wrong". if he had had normal-sized legs he wouldn't have looked like a sausage but the mix...

i said to hubby "he might be a very good dog but GAWD why the HELL do people breed these things! it's like a freak show!"

feel sorry for both these dogs that never asked to be born, and the suckers that pay good money for these mutts, they can pick up for free at shelters, they're a dime a dozen

wonder who's the UN-educated now...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Great post Skryker. I agree with you 110%.

That's all I'm going to say....I feel a very angry rant brewing complete with bad language, and that's not mature or effective....
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker View Post
Thanks, Scott! I didn't mean to be quite so cranky , but I really, really hate this designer breed stuff. What's wrong with saying you have a mutt?

(And why pay $$$$ for a "breed" that doesn't exist, when 15 minutes of research about dogs can let you know that what you're buying isn't a breed at all? )
Yeah Skryker, you said it wonderfully.

It drives me crazy when people pay a thousand dollars for a MUTT that you can go to any humane society and get the same dog. Mutts are wonderful animals, growing up I had a wonderful lab-beagle cross, but they shouldn't be bred and definetly shouldn't be sold as a dog from a "Designer breed", instead, they should be rescued.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Oh no, not again!

I bet that is what I saw the other week walking around town, it looked like a really long lab with short legs and a heavy body, I though the same thing, who would want a dog like that (if it was a rescue then it's owners are very kind ). I know this is a topic that is often on here but apparantly the people who are breeding these "designer" dogs are not on this forum, or wont admit it

A while back I was in the city and went into a pet store to show my daughter all the dogs and cats. I overheard a couple ladies talking about how cute the poodle mixes were and that they are very popular because they do not shed, I just had to jump in. I explained to them that a poodle mix is just that, and most people who buy them for their traits dont realize that one of the parents was NOT a hypoallerginic, non-shedding dog (in the case of a retriever mix). So even though one parent was (although I doubt that any dog is really hypoallergenic) it does not mean the puppy will be, you could end up with a funny looking dog who sheds and aggrivates allergies. They stood there for a moment and then turned to me and said "I never thought about that". Sadly too many people suffer from the same lack of though. :sad:

I also ran into a breeder at a show who breeds labs, she said these mixes are ruining her puppy sales, and people dont realize that in order to get a "labradoodle" that is guaranteed not to shed, it must be 3rd generation or greater, which most are not. That means breeding only non-shedding labradoodles to eachother for 3 generations. How sad. :sad:

well those are my
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassador Mommy View Post
You all have internet go educate yourself and research it so when you run your mouth you dont look so stupid! Hope you all have a great week!
So why exactly did you come here and post this ? This thread is from 2005
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Half Way To Crazy

yesterday went i went into a pet store I saw a schnoodle tiny little thing, female I think wanting to get out into the opened. I had to laugh not for the dag but the name !! they want mega $$ for this bread as they call it !! I just don't understand why would anybody do this, is beyond me
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I just don't understand why would anybody do this, is beyond me
you just said so yourself... mega $$ :sad:

Old February 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Don't Try To Explain...

I've heard of a Bassadore, but have seen puppies ranging in crosses from Dalmatians x Saint Bernards and Fox Terriers x Shih Tzu's in pet stores... I think that providing mixed breed dogs with the grouping " designer dogs " is giving backyard breeders an option out for when their dogs (which are usually very poorly managed anyway) accidently breed together.
"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of ther universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." - Caras
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
So why exactly did you come here and post this ? This thread is from 2005

Good point. I hadn't noticed that.
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Honest Contributor

some people just feel the need to defend their choices, no matter how uneducated those may be

Old February 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Mix them together and you get a very cute!!! very calm!!! and very obiedient dog!!! If you think it is stupid that is on you but until you know a little more about them, then you making a comment does not make you look so smart .

Even though the post may be old, there is no guarantee the other pups from the same litter had the same personalities, genes come from both parents, and no 2 pups in the same litter are going to be the same, another pup in that same litter could have ended with a labs hyperness, and be very stubborn and hard to train. The biggest problem when mixing breeds is there is no guarantee what personality traits each pup with inherit, you just happened to be luck with the puppy you picked out, you could have instead have went with a purebred puppy from a reputable breeder that has the personal and temperment you are looking and be guaranteed that is what it will matured into for a lot less money, there is not need to create more breeds to reinvent personalities and traits that already exist.

The bigger problem comes when crossing genes from different breeds is and then inbreeding is that it can result in genetic health problems that makes screening difficult until many generation have been born and tested, which is not happening with all these mixes and everybody and every one is breeding them.

THe one I do not have as much problems with is the Silken Windhound a medium sized long haired sighthound that looks like a small borzoi, they spent 10 years in the planning research stage before breeding and started using champion bred Borzoi and Long haired whippet all DNA tested, it was a very closed door breeding program only selected breeders where chosen to breed, every pup breed a detailed history was kept including where it went and dna testing down and pedigree lines, breeders where chosen across the world to ensure a good strong diverse gene pool, breeding with borzoi and long hair whippets continue from 1975 to 1999 at which point studbooks where closed and a breed standard was set. No other dogs than those from certain breeders would be recognized or could be registered, even though the Windhound has only been around for a short bit, the fact is was a very controlled breeding with extensive documentation it is now recognized as breed in 2 european countries, even today the whereabout of every pup born is known and a breed rescue has already been established here, the US and in europe for the future should rescue be needed. If I decided I wanted a pup I could go into the registry and check the parents out for pedigree lines and to see if any genetic problems occured in the line, the only real genetic problems they are seeing is drug sensitivities which is common to all sighthound breeds and something similiar to (FADS) in humans which causes still births or death of some pups shortly after birth , otherwise the breed is generally very healthy usually living into the late teens.

I can understand why is was bred, the whippet is the only other medium sized sighthound and extremely few have the long coat, and not as full, with the short haired sighthound their skin is paper thin with very little hair to protect then owners have to be careful with them playing with other dog or even where they can let them run, as rocky terrain or shrubs can lead to injuries, whereas the long coats offer protection and allow the owners to have dogs they do not have to worry as much about, so it was bred to be a much more versatile dog in a much smaller package than the other longhaired sighthounds, making for a dog more suitable for many city dwellers.

If your bassador breeder or other mixed bred breeder went thru all these steps and could prove a registry existed and along with pedigree that was well detailed , could prove dna genetic tested had been carried out and original stock came from champion lines, had put a lot of effort and research into the planning of the breed I would say yes maybe your dog is worth it's price tag if not then it was bred strictly for gullible fools willing to part with their money
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown