Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:19 PM

My dog has torn both CCL's

Hello Everyone

My 7 year old shepherd/husky mix has recently just torn both of his ccls in his hind legs.

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has any tips on how to keep him comfortable.

He is on tremdol and dermetax as well as a herbal supplement. He is scheduled for his first TPLO in a week and a half.

Right now we have a mattress setup in our living room floor to keep him comfy while sleeping.

Our main issue is getting him outside to void. We managed to get him to poop last night but he doesn't want to pee (Mostly because we are waiting on a sling and we are using a homemade now that sort of covers his manhood). Whenever we try to put the sling under him to get him outside he crys and growls and then tries to make a run for his crate.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Kent
Old November 22nd, 2014, 01:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aarrgghhh! Poor dog and poor you!

What type of mattress are you using? If you can find a baby mattress, it'll be firm and easy for him to get onto and off. We also used a flat bed on the mattress--just a cover with what they call egg-carton or orthopedic foam in it. Also easy to get onto and off.

As for the sling, maybe just some conditioning training--have someone hold him up and keep the weight off his legs, then sling a towel or old sheet underneath as tho you were going out and reward him with a small but tasty treat. Do it a few times a day, or as you get him up to go out, and he may begin to look forward to using the sling.

Best of luck, Kent! I hope his surgeries go well and his recovery is quick!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:20 PM

Thanks Hazel

Big Relief, I just managed to get him to both poop and pee using a sling.

Such a big relief. He is also trying to put weight on the legs. I was in the shower, and when I opened the curtain, there he was lying on the shower mat besides the shower.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I just want to say the dog across the street, a female GSD, did the same thing years ago. I wish I could tell you how they managed until the surgery but I don't know that. I do know they got through it and she was fine afterwards.

She tore both at the same time when running flat out across a field, her owner told me.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He sounds like a real trooper! Glad he's getting used to the sling!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:46 PM

Although he is going outside to void, it is with great difficulty that we are able to get him to get off of his mattress or the floor.

He cries anytime he sees us coming with his sling and leash.

It takes a lot to make me break down, but seeing him so helpless leaves me heartbroken.

If anyone has any advice that I can use with how to soothe his pain, or get him to go outside easier, please let me know. We have another week and a half of this even before his surgery.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:38 PM

Hi. I empathise with what you are going through.

My 6yr old Shepherd has torn both his ACL. within a few month period.

I was scheduled for TPLO on Nov. 26th. But am going to cancel.(for now)

His left leg was injured in July. Since the injury he has regained full use in his leg along with lost muscle.

I am hoping the right leg sees similar progression. From my readings on TPLO, I just can't see putting him through that invasive of an operation; at least while he is still active and happy.

It seems your pooch is in discomfort, so I understand your situation is unlike mine. And wish you the best of luck.

I would be interested in hearing your post operation report

best of luck
Dean
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm late to the thread, and don't have any experience with this, but here is the link to the CCL yahoo group on conservative management, they may have some advice:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages
Old November 26th, 2014, 03:22 AM

Just a quick little update on my boy. We were having some very frustrating days/nights over the past week.

Our vet had suggested that we switch him to a new type of Gastro/Intestinal wet food to mix with his kibbles (He has never had wet food). This caused some serious diarrhea and caused him to constantly want to go outside. This was very hard on us as I am a shift worker and my wife has a nagging shoulder/neck injury and lifting the hind end of a 120lb dog isnt easy for her. We were at our breaking point but decided to keep going. We since took him off the wet food and went back to only kibble (With a small amount of chicken breast mixed in). Tonight we got a special treat from him (Solid poop ) So now he only needs to go outside 3 times a day which is a lot easier than 12.

When we first got him back from the vet he has absolutely no use of either of his back legs. We got another surprise last night when my sister in law came to visit. He seen her come in the door and got out of his crate and hopped over to her like a bunny would on his back legs so now at least he is able to help us a little when we take him outside.

Surgery is still scheduled for next wednesday, not sure if just one leg or a bilateral will be done. He is doing acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbal treatments with a Holistic assistant that our vet has on their staff. He has also come down with Kennel Cough which we are hoping wont affect his surgery date as the next one available isnt until after christmas.

That is all for now
Old November 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Yay, sounds encouraging.
Old November 27th, 2014, 01:38 AM

Anyone have any advice for me? When we take the dog outside, all he wants to do is lie down on the ground. This is partially our fault as when we put him outside normally we tie him to a tether and let him stay outside for a while.

Only problem is now is that it is Winter in Canada and it gets pretty cold/nasty weather.

We have a harness for him that wraps around his belly and around his legs, but when we try to pull him up, he just cries and growls. We have tried every method of coercion to get him to go back into the house but it doesnt seem to work.
Old November 27th, 2014, 10:04 PM

So sorry about your boy. Our senior dog tore her cruciate last winter and one leg was hard enough to deal with so you must be having a difficult time. She was too old to go through surgery but now she has finally recovered after rest and slowly introducing activity. I still have her on a supplement called Sasha's blend that someone here recommended and I feel that really has helped her recovery.
With respect to getting him inside, does he have a pretty thick coat? We have two husky mixes and we have a hard time getting the younger one in even on a freezing cold day. She loves the feel of the cold on her belly and is actually more comfortable outside. Is it because of the injury that you are worried about getting him inside? Otherwise, maybe the cool feels good on his injured legs.
Old November 28th, 2014, 06:18 AM

Yeah, we are worried that if we leave him outside, he will try to take off after something, even though he is tied on to a tether.
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:13 PM

Just a little update on my big boy. We dropped him off yesterday at the Atlantic Veterinary College yesterday to meet with the surgeon. After drawer tests and xrays it was determined that both of his Cruciate Ligaments were completely ruptured.

We left him there with surgery scheduled for Friday afternoon. We got a call this evening letting us know that they managed to squeeze him in today and successfully repaired his left leg with TPLO. They also discovered that most of his Meniscus was damaged so most of it was removed.

This was a big relief for us as we were anxiously awaiting tomorrow evening and figured it would be a sleepless night tonight and work day tomorrow. We get to go pick him up on Saturday and start his recovery. In the next 6-8 weeks he will go back to repair the right leg
Old December 5th, 2014, 12:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

So nice that they were able to get him in early! Best wishes for his quick and complete recovery! I don't envy you the 12 to 16 weeks ahead, but it'll all be worth it in the end

Old December 5th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Best of luck!

Tags
pain, torn ligament, tplo