Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

IMO the OSPCA IS focusing arresting one of their own yesterday as well. But because their hired employees their not suppose to have any accountability?

Tre knew there was an ongoing investigation and when he was suspected of presenting himself as a Provincial investigator after his suspension he signed an affidavit saying he wasn't - and, apparently he was.

If either of these men were thinking about the animals they wouldn't be in the media today and both would still have their jobs. That being said I don't doubt he didn't love and want to protect them but you look pretty stupid enforcing laws when you yourself do not respect them.

I too admire anyone who helps with animal suffering - you just have to use your brains over your heart and/or self righteous ways otherwise you may just end up hurting them even more.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I've been thinking about this this afternoon and the whole affair seems to be losing focus...it's suppose to be about the animals, now, that doesn't appear to be in the equation what with the nitpicking that seems to be going on.

If Mark Beauchamp did tip off the THS about the June raid, would it not just be suffice to fire him and not charge him?

Also, in the CBC News report that I read, it said that "further arrests could be made".
That has been my impression all along. I did not agree with them stopping adoptions, I don't think that benefited the cats/dogs at all.

If the OSPCA spent as much effort and media attention on puppy/kittymills, where, IMO, cats and dogs are treated much worse, then there would be a whole lot less of them.

Just my as an outsider.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post

I too admire anyone who helps with animal suffering - you just have to use your brains over your heart and/or self righteous ways otherwise you may just end up hurting them even more.
You are right, but I think as you know the people who go through the effort of rescuing animals are so passionate that a lot of times, their heart wins over their brains

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:54 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
You are right, but I think as you know the people who go through the effort of rescuing animals are so passionate that a lot of times, their heart wins over their brains
Point taken

I guess what I'm saying is if a regular citizen tresspasses (which is wrong of course) to try and help an abused animal the worst case scenerio is getting arrested, won't make much news but when you represent an organization you can't be rambo - one must act accordingly or everyone loses!

It appears it's going to get worse before better, the OSPCA should consider hiring outsiders to further investigate and spend a little more time taking care of what it's suppose to be about - the animals
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Point taken

I guess what I'm saying is if a regular citizen tresspasses (which is wrong of course) to try and help an abused animal the worst case scenerio is getting arrested, won't make much news but when you represent an organization you can't be rambo - one must act accordingly or everyone loses!

It appears it's going to get worse before better, the OSPCA should consider hiring outsiders to further investigate and spend a little more time taking care of what it's suppose to be about - the animals
Great points.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 12th, 2010, 09:27 AM
An Honest Contributor

Their hearing was yesterday, HS officials cases put over to Feb 2nd
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...-over-to-feb-2
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
... If either of these men were thinking about the animals they wouldn't be in the media today and both would still have their jobs. That being said I don't doubt he didn't love and want to protect them but you look pretty stupid enforcing laws when you yourself do not respect them.

Agreed but as L4H said most rescuers tend to be very passionate about what they do and can only see the animals in need and don't think of the consequences of their actions.

Quote:
...when you represent an organization you can't be rambo - one must act accordingly or everyone loses!
I definitely agree that Tre Smith should have realized that representing himself as an OSPCA investigator after he was suspended, was very wrong. I'm sure he had other options if he had thought about it, like notifying those who were still investigators of any situations he became aware of.

Quote:
It would be far better if they hired outsiders to do the investigation, this situation only makes them look bad too. Everyone now knows of the controversy between the two agencies, and the longer the OSPCA investigates the worse they look to the public. It is too bad because the animals are the ones that are losing while they throw stones at each other.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Too bad they do not use all the same energy to lock up animal abusers, close down puppymillers and start working on getting petstores to stop selling animals. Honestly - I just wish that the same energy went into helping all those animals suffering day in day out.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Too bad they do not use all the same energy to lock up animal abusers, close down puppymillers and start working on getting petstores to stop selling animals. Honestly - I just wish that the same energy went into helping all those animals suffering day in day out.
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM
-

As I've said before I am not a fan of craigslist but read this today, I surely hope that it isn't true......if it is the OSPCA should explain fully to the public what their mandate at the THS is since it is publicly funded through charitable donations.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/1558216795.html
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I thought they would.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 20th, 2010, 10:11 AM
An Honest Contributor

The post was flagged and removed, what did it say?
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:17 AM
-

Quote:
The post was flagged and removed, what did it say?
That they were going to be euthanizing 200 - 300 cats

There were a few other postings too, but I just checked and they have all been removed.......hmmmm

Last edited by Chris21711; January 20th, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

IF, this post is indeed true that they will be euthanizing cats, even those who may not be necessarily sick, is that going against what the OSPCA is to do? Aren't they there to investigate cruelty due to animals not getting proper vet care, not going against policy of a no kill shelter to a kill for space?

Wonder who is keeping tabs on the OSPCA .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just found this:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/1558592474.html

OSPCA/THS killing cats (Toronto & Elsewhere)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-01-18, 1:50PM EST
Reply to: comm-kzhds-1558592474@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re the posting concerning the OSPCA/THS killing cats, there are a few points worth noting.

1) Will you all please stop using the word euthanize when what you actually mean is KILL. Euthanasia means the ending of a life to prevent further suffering. Ending an animal's life because you don't have enough room for it, or because it has become in some other way inconvenient, is not euthanasia, it is KILLING. Using euphemisms to make people feel better about it is not helpful. We do not want people to feel comfortable with the notion of killing animals needlessly.

2) The person who posted saying that this is not the OSPCA/THS's fault is bang on. Just because you have chosen to dump your unwanted pet at a shelter so that someone else has to do your dirty work does not absolve you of responsibility or remove the blood from your hands.

3) The reality is that the OSPCA are actually being responsible about this. Cats which are in overcrowded conditions become stressed and sick, and the OSPCA is well aware just how many cats can be crammed into a given space before this starts happening. What is the point of keeping cats alive so that they all become sick and eventually die anyway, particularly if no-one is coming to adopt them? We saw the result of this misguided thinking at the end of last year when the reality of the situation at THS started to become clear. No Kill is possible, but it takes a lot more than just not killing anything - it takes a community effort to put a number of things in place, one of the main requirements being people to adopt the animals the shelter takes in.

I know this will not sit well with a lot of people and some moron will probably flag this post, but it does not change the facts. Unless and until everyone steps up and takes responsibility for their pet, and accepts that a pet is FOR LIFE and not just until the novelty wears off, then we shall continue to read posts about cats being killed because there is not sufficient space for them. Oh yes, it's easy to love the little kitten or puppy, but what happens a few months down the line when it has become a less attractive cat or dog, probably with a few bad habits as well (because, hell, what's the point of training it when you can just get a new one when it's not cute any more?). Then it's off to the shelter, or here on CL or Kijiji, and then out of sight, out of mind, right? Who cares if the person that took the free pet then sells it on to a research establishment, or to a dog fighting ring for use as bait, or to a puppy farm or backyard breeder (and this is the fate of most intact young dogs given away free), or the shelter kills it because no-one comes along to give it a nice new home and they've run out of space, as long as the original owner doesn’t have to look into that animal's eyes every day and realize how fundamentally they have failed?

I expect that most people reading this post are sitting back complacently, thinking that none of this is their fault. WRONG!!! This situation has not come about overnight, it is the cumulative effect of years of failure to act properly and it is everyone's fault. We have all sat back and allowed the development of a society in which life is held in scant regard, no-one is held accountable for their actions and it's all about the latest fad. If you have ever bred a litter of puppies or kittens (even "accidentally"), then it's your fault. If you have ever sold, given away or otherwise disposed of a pet, it's your fault. If you have an unneutered cat or dog in your house right now, it's your fault. And if none of these apply to you, then you still cannot sit back and congratulate yourself, because there are two sides to this problem - the negative side of animals being irresponsibly bred and disposed of, and the other side of no-one coming forward to adopt the ones which find themselves in this situation. Could you find a place in your heart and home for one of these unwanted animals? If not, can you give some money or donate some pet food or maybe even volunteer with one of the many charities that are attempting to stem the tide? How about writing to your local councillor to ask him/her to support spay/neuter and TNR (trap/neuter/return of feral cats) in your area, to reduce the numbers of unwanted cats and kittens? Why not talk to your neighbour/friend/family member about that unneutered cat they allow to wander around the neighbourhood?

If everyone was willing to do just a little bit, we could turn this problem around in ONE YEAR. If we could get all the cats spayed/neutered, or at least confined indoors, then we could avoid the seasonal flood of kittens, and people would start adopting the older shelter cats. We can do this - will you help?

Or would you rather wring your hands ineffectually over postings about cats being killed for lack of shelter space?

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1558592474

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
IF, this post is indeed true that they will be euthanizing cats, even those who may not be necessarily sick, is that going against what the OSPCA is to do?

They do pts for lack of space L4H ....where could any organization house so many, it totally sucks the cat crisis, it truly is a crisis....sigh

Aren't they there to investigate cruelty due to animals not getting proper vet care, not going against policy of a no kill shelter to a kill for space?

Wonder who is keeping tabs on the OSPCA .
That is something I would like to know myself.
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM

This stuff you're reading is all rumour - 65 cats have been euthanized thus far. No large scale euthanasia is forthcoming. Let the investigation proceed.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:50 AM

Can't look. Article on Yahoo today about woman "torturing" animals pled "not guilty" - something about a puppymill - dunno can't click on that either. Think it was in the US but on the Yahoo site in Cda. A lot of sickos out there. Would like nothing more than to give them the same treatment !
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibi View Post
This stuff you're reading is all rumour - 65 cats have been euthanized thus far. No large scale euthanasia is forthcoming. Let the investigation proceed.
You know what they say "where there's smoke, there's fire"....

As far as letting the investigation proceed, imo the OSPCA should be more forthcoming in what they are now doing there
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
-

I was just reading on the Country's finest source of info more about the situation at the THS, be it true or not ....this time I copied and pasted it, I'm surprised it hasn't been flagged already.

up!!)

Date: 2010-01-21, 11:30PM EST
Reply to: comm-tnxx8-1564556867@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Currently, there are at least 140 CATS who's ADOPTION TIME IS RUNNING OUT very quickly. If nobody steps up to save them and give them the love and shelter of a home that they deserve, then they will be joining the others who have already been killed for no other reason than to create more space in the shelter.

Any cats who are diabetic, FIV +, or geriatric are next on the OSPCA hit list and need your help to be bailed out! If anyone would like to help these special needs cats out, please go to the shelter and put in a request to foster or adopt so that their lives can be spared. This is over and above the140 cats currently up for adoption. Once the first round of 140 cats times are up, they will be killed and a new batch of hopeful cats will replace them. This cycle will continue until the numbers are down because of caring people adopting them OR because they are killed by the OSPCA.

While there has been some controversy over what is going on at the THS, there is something that we must not turn our backs on. That is the fact that all the animals currently at the shelter have been caught in the middle of an ugly battle that will cost many of them their lives.

As pet owners we know that we have a responsibility to provide for and love our pets. The unfortunate truth is that not all pet owners feel that strongly thus treating their pet as disposable property and then sometimes there are genuine circumstances that force a person/family to give up their pet. No matter what the reason, none of these amazing creatures asked to be placed in cages to sit and wait until someone chooses them to become the newest member of their family.

Now, these beautiful, innocent animals are sitting in there with a dark cloud looming overhead. They are waiting to be deemed adoptable. For those that are not, their lives have already or will soon come to an end. For those who are seen as adoptable, they get a little longer but, not months or weeks longer. These "adoptable" cats need homes quickly. They have maybe a week or so (estimate) to find their forever home before they are killed and a new cat takes their place and hopes that someone will come forward to save them from the same fate. Everyday cats are being killed as the OSPCA vets wander through picking and choosing at random who gets a chance at life and who has lost theirs.

I know that there are millions of cats in need of homes and it's hard sometimes to know which way to turn and who to help. Hopefully, you will consider saving a life that is in imminent danger of being snuffed out before their time. It's a very sad situation and one where none of these animals have asked to be in. It's not their fault. Don't let them pay the highest of prices. Please help them.

If you are strictly a dog lover (and do not want to open your home to a cat), your turn will come too to step up to the plate and save a life. ALL THE ANIMALS ARE AT RISK ... the value of their life is being weighed against their potential for adoption success ... right now they are measuring the value of the cats as they are the highest volume taking up space. When the cats are finished, the dogs will be next and the list will go on. Again, please save a life, give a home to a deserving creature in dire need. Better yet, rather than wait for each one to have their life on a "timer", go now and "pre-save" a life.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

This makes my blood boil,I have been donating to the OSPCA for years,I am sending them an e-mail for sure.
I don't usually jump the gun,but if this is true,my money will go to a more worthy cause.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Toronto Humane

They no longer are announcing/displaying their lost/found animals, whats up with that?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
An Honest Contributor

The post that said 200 - 300 cats euthanized ... That's how rumours begin ... Sounds like the same person over and over again instead he/she should go volunteer

There's an urgent appeal - adoption drive on the THS's website http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

GG,maybe it's a "fired"employee wanting to make trouble...I should not believe everything I read
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
They no longer are announcing/displaying their lost/found animals, whats up with that?
Maybe they were updating it it's there today http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...nd/default.asp
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
GG,maybe it's a "fired"employee wanting to make trouble...I should not believe everything I read
I know - you never know anymore what to believe This guy who volunteers at the TAS often has updates regarding the THS and this is what's printed regarding that particular rumour:
http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/s...max-results=25

... And there are now rumblings that they're planning on 'doing away' with some dogs and about 300 CATS !!!!!

Here's the OSPCA response to the rumour:

With regards to the animals at the Toronto Humane Society, our first priority has been, and continues to be, to make sure that animals in need get the care they deserve. The Ontario SPCA has done everything it possibly could to get these animals the care they deserved based on the recommendations of veterinarians.

While the Ontario SPCA has been handling animal care at the THS, veterinarians have recommended euthanizing of 65 cats, 4 dogs, and 13 other animals.

The animals that were euthanized suffered from terrible health problems and their condition was terminal. Their treatment was supervised by veterinarians. It is important that we follow the recommendations of veterinarians, and not leave the animals to die in their cages.

There is nothing humane about letting a terminally ill animal starve to death or suffer needlessly in a cage. This is unimaginable cruelty, and most veterinarians would agree with that.

While 65 cats is an unfortunate number of cats euthanized, it's a far cry from 300, and as the response states, these decisions were based on the recommendations of vets and not made lightly. In the end, it's not the numbers that are important anyway. Whether 65 cats or 300 cats, what's important is whether or not there are valid reasons to justify euthanasia in each case and when it comes to health issues, those decisions are made by a qualified vet.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's GG,I hope that's the truth
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for sharing that link, GG.

This person is soooo right, the more secrecy, the more rumours and as rumours spread, the more inaccurate they become.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
-

Tim Trow quits the THS

Here is a blurb from the T. Star this morning:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...humane-society
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM
An Honest Contributor

Thanks for the update Chris. Memories are still embedded in my mind from photo's of horrible neglect and the suffering that went on under Tim Trow & managemement, so relieved he chose to resign rather then drag this on, the animals need attention more then ever not him - hopefully his friends follow.

Does this mean though he will not be charged with animal cruelty?