Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old May 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

SPCA Montreal overload

There's a short article in La Presse today about the SPCA, they are taking in 45-50 cats A DAY and both their facilities are overflowing. And it's not even July 1 (moving day in Quebec) :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Barnoti points out that pet owners are increasingly discriminated against in the Montreal housing market compared to Ontario, where landlords are much more constrained.
The number of cast-off litterboxes, brushes, scratching posts and other items I see in the street speaks volumes. Maybe some of those cats died but unless there's an epidemic I hadn't heard about, many have gone missing and been written off.
The SPCA numbers don't surprise me at all. Maybe they should lower their prices a bit.
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger,

You should change your title cat and kitten overload in Montreal shelters and SPCA'S. Every place in Montreal and the South Shore is over loaded with cats and kittens.

Every day, I receive a new email at work from someone who knows someone who knows me about a pregnant cat or kittens. Just the other day, I recieved an email about a man who's cat had three kittens and if he didn't find a home for them by "SATURDAY" (today) he was going to drown them!
(Don't worry, the kittens are ok)

Foster homes are difficult to find and most foster homes right now are filled with pregent cats and kittens.

Unless the government makes sterilzation manadtory, Montreal will always have this problem.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post
Unless the government makes sterilzation manadtory, Montreal will always have this problem.
Spca's should start by not letting any cats/dogs leave in their new homes before getting neutered/spayed. Spca's are not helping their own cause.

Sorry , just my
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Spca's should start by not letting any cats/dogs leave in their new homes before getting neutered/spayed. Spca's are not helping their own cause.
I totally agree .
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM

SO WHAT ELSE IS NEW????? Unfortunately the public is not aware as to how many cats are out there in Quebec and they are SUFFERING AND MULTIPLYING AT AN ALARMING RATE!!!!! I am a rescuer and I see it with my own eyes. There are colonies starting everywhere!!!! I feed a few of them. The poor cats have it much worse than the dogs. There are many more of them and they are simply unwanted!!!! We get so many calls about cats but unfortunately we have to turn people down, because we are always full. I AM URGING THE PUBLIC TO PLEASE HELP RESCUE GROUPS OR S.P.C.A. IN ANY WAY YOU CAN!!!! PLEASE HELP THOSE THAT HAVE NO VOICE !!!!!!!!
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Unhappy

I am also with a rescue group at our adoption day today we had 10 cats and kittens, one got adopted. We are very careful with who we adopt to and if our kittens are to young to get adopted we keep track of them. When it is time we make the appointments for sterilization, we pick up the cat and then we return it to the new owners. It is a lot of work and running around but at least we are sure our cats do not contribute to the overpopulation. In my opinion that is the responsible way of doing it. Not just calling the new owner to ask if the cat has been sterilized like the SPCA does. Everyone has a busy life and even though their intentions are good they do not alwayse get to the vet to get the animals neutered.

Like everyone else we are overloaded! I made a beautiful poster for 8 cats that we need foster homes for. 5 are loosing their foster homes in about 4 to 6 weeks. One is Jolly who I have posted a week ago, who is being kept by one of our volunteers in a crate because he has to be tested for FIV before we can get him adopted and two are still outside because we have no place to put them and one of them has 4 kittens.

Like everyone else in this business I am frustrated and heart sick to see what beautiful loving animals are being abandon and cannot understand how people can do this. If this is what we call civilized God help us.

I'll keep plugging away, and try to educate people, try to avoid the ones who would abandon a cat, try to help the ones I can. What we need is to stand together and shout as loud as we can at the government. And when I go to bed tonigh I hope I can come up with a solution for the 2 little grey and white, 6 week old kittens I saw on my balcony tonight because my Inn is full and I have no reserves. To top it off I have a message on my answering machine about stray cat and kittens.
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Vets should not be allowed to charge the sick prices they do for spays/neuters. They make so much money in other areas. If it were cheaper to spay/neuter A LOT more people would do so. After spaying/neutering nearly 50 cats in my time of rescuing, all from my own pocket, I firmly believe that there should be legislation/subsidizing so that vets charge only a MINIMAL fee.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Not just calling the new owner to ask if the cat has been sterilized like the SPCA does.
I adopted Daisy at one of the spca, she wasn't spayed , they never called me to ask about it. I had her spayed at my vet. But never did they call me.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

they never called me back to check if the dog got fixed that was this past dec and she was only 3 months old
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Jab, you and the Steri-Animal gang are all , clinics are so hard (at least I find them hard). Even rehoming one blessed animal is reason for a victory party.

As for shouting at the government, I confess to becoming completely paralyzed, thinking of the extent of the problems facing us here in Quebec: abandonment, abuse, puppy mills, lack of low-cost services and just plain bull-headed ignorance. Not the least of our difficulties is the lack of unity among 'interested parties', there is no organization out there that is speaking for me, even though I might share many of their opinions.

Anyone who comes up with even the ghost of a plan would definitely get my interest.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Anyone who comes up with even the ghost of a plan would definitely get my interest.
I've said this many many times before. When someone decides to adopt a cat/dog at the spca, if not neutered /spay, they should pay for the adoption fee, and go back home. Spca should have the pet spay/neuter and only then could the person get the pet home. It would help with adoption that are made too fast, gives time to that person to think about it, don't want the pet anymore after the spay, person changed her minds, well she doesn't get her money back. I think that would be a start. And the spca wouldn't loose any money from it , since it's cover in the adoption fee.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescues adopt out unspayed animals?
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Sorry, but most rescues do not adopt out uneutered/unspayed animals.
In our rescue we have started to have even the puppies (8weeks+ and healthy) fixed before they leave their foster families. IMO having animals fixed before they are adopted, should be the only way to go!
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM
-

I wasn't talking about rescues. I was talking about spcas.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Omg Frenchy,don't the SPCA realize not sterilizing animals,will mean for each in tact cat they adopt out,there will be so many more ending up at the SPCA:sad:
I simply do not understand what it is with Quebec and cats
Also this thing with students dumping their cats in July,would it not be better not to adopt out to students,but I guess the SPCA is desperate.:sad:
I know in Toronto it's probably the same,but our HS in Oakville do not adopt out in tact cats.
I very seldom see any stray cats,only a couple of out-door cats,whom I know.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I wasn't talking about rescues. I was talking about spcas.
I know,someone else posted about a rescue adopting out unspayed animals.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Chico, it's not only students dumping their cats in July. Moving day in Montreal is July 1st. People move into apartments or rented condos that don't accept pets (though it is against the law for a landlord to demand that), and they just dump their pets.

I for one would never have lived anywhere that didn't allow pets. My son made his landlord write the names of his cats on his lease.

This is a scandal, and unbearable for any normal human being to behold.

BTW, I'm sorry I can't adopt more kitties or foster them. I have only 3 cats, but one of them was born outside, rescued when she was near death. She loves my older cat, who only tolerates her. But about 20 months ago, we took in a new cat that had been abandoned on moving day. My little feral took a long time to adapt to him and was stressed out for months. I don't want to put her through that anymore, especially now that she's getting along in years.

These stories break my heart though, I'm going to speak to everyone I know and remind them about abandoned cats. Everyone really close to me (family, friends) have multiple pets.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
boubou

Just to clear things up, not all SPCA's adopt out without neutering - the SPCA Monteregie always has their animals fixed before leaving the shelter, and as Frenchy said, it also gives the adoptee's a chance to back out while they are waiting for their dog or cat to be ready to go.....

A neighbor across the street from my sister was sooo excited to tell her that her boyfriends dog (a pitbull x ) just had 8 puppies and they had homes waiting for all of them. When my sister lectured her (for the millionth time) about sterilization and unwanted pets (she's had many, many dogs and cats before, but that's another story...), all she said was that it's good money and they make sure the puppies are in 'good homes'!!!! Oh, and did I mention, he adopted the dog three months ago from the SPCA Montreal....
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Doggie Wench

I don't think accusing shelters here is helping the current situation in the least. It's like saying they're the ones entirely responsible for the pet over population. All shelters, and I stress all, have their problems and by constantly debating the inefficiencies of these places (what wasted energy IMO), the best interests of the animals are pushed to the wayside. If someone doesn't like what an organization is doing, then by all means direct your complaints and actions to where it actually might make a difference. Putting one down just to make another look better is really unprofessional. Just my .
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:11 PM
-

Very professional of you Luckypenny, I feel lucky to be your friend, I wouldn't been able to put it in good words like this. I mostly see the bad sides....but yes , instead of complaining , we should do our part.
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,Luckypenny,you do your part every day,if we had another couple of million people like you,there would be no suffering animals..

Moodindigo,I just assumed July 1st was moving day for students,going home for the summer,leaving their apartements and their cats behind,sorry if I generalized,I don't know why July 1st is considered"moving-day"
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Doggie Wench

, a little long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
...Moodindigo,I just assumed July 1st was moving day for students,going home for the summer,leaving their apartements and their cats behind,sorry if I generalized,I don't know why July 1st is considered"moving-day"
In Quebec, July 1st is "moving day". Sorta keeps the processes involved with moving and leases a little more organized (not the streets of downtown Montreal however, blocked up and down with moving trucks ).

I personally don't think this is a valid excuse for dumping your pet though. When I used to go apartment hunting, I often came across places that did not allow children. That didn't mean I'd drop my boys off at social services because I just had to have the place. If one cleans up after their pet and prevents them from making too much noise and damage, the majority of landlords I know don't mind. It's the irresponsible owners that make all others look bad.

With all the ridiculous excuses I've heard for abandoning animals, I feel that "I'm moving to a new place that doesn't allow animals" a pretty lame one. Sometimes it's just that, an excuse to dump a pet (like allergies too) just to avoid a little humility. Many landlords will always make exceptions if you prove yourself to be a responsible owner ie. providing references from past landlords and neighbors, inviting potential landlords to current residence to confirm cleanliness, leaving a security deposit to ensure any damage will be covered, and allowing for a clause in the lease that if substantial proof is offered against excessive noise/filth/smell/damage, the situation must be rectified immediately. I can't think of too many landlords that would refuse this. Most don't want to discriminate against pet-owners, they just want to protect their investments, which IMO, is totally justified.

If one knows they will be moving, then, for goodness sakes, do the responsible thing and prepare well in advance. "No pets allowed" is rarely a valid excuse for ditching a pet.

Last edited by luckypenny; May 29th, 2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Kingston Humane Society does not have manditory Spay/Neutering prior to adopting out their cats, even their adult cats, however they do spend their funds on manditory microchipping . I have written them a letter to express my opinion on that.

I do believe that Ontario SPCA's do have manditory spaying/neutering prior to adoption (somebody can correct me if I am wrong) .

There was an article in the Toronto Star a few months back accusing the warm winter weather of creating a huge overpopulation of cats, however a very good letter written by a lady responded to the editor that it is humans and Humane Societies fault by not spaying/neutering their cats, not the weather.