Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Help ! cat in tree, real problem

A friend of our family told me this morning that they have a cat in their tree, and tonight she/he will have been there for two days. They thought she could come down on her own because a few days ago they saw her come down from the very top of a telephone pole, but she doesn't seem to either want or be able to come down (they aren't sure which). THe tree is at the intersection of three backyards, all of which have dogs, one of which has a shed and the owner fo the shed put food and water on top of the shed last night and this morning was gone and the bowl upset. THis may have been the cat, or it may have been a racoon. They are wondering what they should do, leave the cat, or attempt a rescue? Does Cat even need a rescue? The cat meows at anyone below her, so it may be tame, it looks to be in decent condition, not very big, possibly one of last years kittens.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Where are those firemen when you need 'em?
IMO I would be attempting a rescue. You aren't sure if the food has been eaten by this cat or a 'coon. If a 'coon then kitty is going to be in trouble very very soon. No food or water for that long of a time is deadly to a cat.
Does the cat belong to someone?
Is the shed flat roofed? If so you could also try to set a live trap on top of the shed if kitty doesn't come down by tonight. That way kitty is safe and can be taken to the shelter at the same time.
Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
-

Is it possible to get the owners of the dogs in the three yards to keep them inside? Hopefully, then the cat will feel safer to come down on it's own.
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow,exactly what I was thinking,as long as there are dogs around,kitty will not come down.
We once had to rescue one of our own cats,scared by my sons dog.,we used an extension-ladder and got him down.
Two days is too long for a kitty,I would definitely try to rescue him.
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

and whoever does, wear workgloves, my hubby took a gunny sack up with him once and put the kitten/cat in it for the climb down, do you know anyone or a company that does tree trimming? some of those men are not scared at all to scale tall tree's and they may come out just to help.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM

I agree with everyone else just wanted to add that when the rescue is attempted to try and get a few people ready at the bottom of the tree with a blanket. Everyone take a firm hold of a corner, stretch it out tight while holding it off the ground but not too tight(don't want kitty to bounce off). Sometimes cats will bolt or jump or climb to a branch that can't hold thier weight and they fall. The blanket will help give her a safe landing and possibly allow you to catch her and find her owner.

If you can't find someone to attempt a rescue call the Fire Department non-emergency number...it won't be the first time they've rescued a kitty.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I know our local fire department came out into the woods near us to help someone get their bird down from a tree.. hopefully your local fire department will come out for a kitty.

Best of luck!

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"