Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Pet Owner

On the road to recovery from Heartworms!

Not too long ago I took my dog Joy to the vet for a check up. She had heartworms and hookworms. They gave us a panacure to mix in with her food to treat the hookworms. Before long the hookworms were gone. Within the next few days we then gave her her first heartgard to get rid of the microfilariae and the L3 and the L4 larvae first. Then we would go back to get her tests done to determine the class of her heartworms. Her class was the beginning stage of class 2, which is pretty good for a five year old dog that had never been treated with a heartworm preventive. They also gave us some pills for her to start taking a month before her first deworming shot. Today is the day we start giving her the pills. And on Feb. 12 she will have her first deworming shot. Its a long and expensive process...But its worth a happy and healthy dog.
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Hello and welcome.
I fostered and then adopted a dog that was heartworm positive stage 3. He was on the brink of death, but with the proper vetting, lots of rest I am glad to let you know that he is now heartworm free and as active as anything.
I wish you well. This is a long process, very delicate and heatwrenching. Be patient, thorough with the vetting and all should turn out fine.

Note that Maddox's recovery was one year.
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
-

We are so fortunate where we live that we do not have a problem with heartworm however I have read how devasting it can be.

I just wanted to send lots of to you for Joy's recovery.
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad she found someone caring enough to have her tested for HW! You're now officially her !!!

for a smooth and complete recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Pet Owner

Thankyou very much. The lots of money that I'm paying for her recovery is totally worth it!!!
Another question, For Benmax, or anyone else who knows how much they paid. How much did you have to pay in the whole process to get rid of the heartworms? Me, including getting rid of the hookworms, is gonna be about 900$!
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Here in Montreal it cost $1500.00 which is normal. As this boy was with a rescue the they received a rescue rate of approx. $1000.00. This however did not include the vet follow up or the Heartguard that he has been on for over one year. So in other words the procedure + hospitalization should come up to $1500.00 non rescue rate here in MOntreal.
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Pet Owner

Yikes! glad I don't have to pay that much! at least your dog is healthy and happy now, right?
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.H.T. View Post
Yikes! glad I don't have to pay that much! at least your dog is healthy and happy now, right?
He is infact healthy and happy. It has changed his demeanor tremendously. I thought I had a very quiet dog...boy was I wrong!.

Everything will go fine. Just follow vet's instructions to a tee. There is nothing called being too cautious in this case as it is very serious. The vet will give you step by step instructions and detail/progress during this procedure. This is not a quick fix as it takes alot of time. If you feel something is not right after the first injection, take the dog back immediately. Personally, I would pay a little more and have them keep the dog for a few days to monitor progress.
After the second injection, the same precautions apply. Again, keep the dog under a few days of observations.
Are they suggestion Heartguard for 18 months after procedure?
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Pet Owner

Wow... I hope my dog is more active after her heartworms are gone. She seems very calm right now. She has her active moments though...

I'm not really sure about them suggesting Heartgard for 18 months after procedure, but i am pretty sure, infact I am sure your supposed to give your dog a heartworm preventive, and in this case heartgard, once every month for life. And thats what they want me to do...
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wow... I hope my dog is more active after her heartworms are gone. She seems very calm right now. She has her active moments though...

I'm not really sure about them suggesting Heartgard for 18 months after procedure, but i am pretty sure, infact I am sure your supposed to give your dog a heartworm preventive, and in this case heartgard, once every month for life. And thats what they want me to do...
They will definately recommend on heatworm preventative, but in Maddox's case even after the procedure to eliminate the worms, he was also put on heartguard. Not all dogs are put on this after the treatment.

Maddox however will never be a healthy dog to live a rip old age. His heart is severly damaged and his organs are not up to par. Regardless, he is doing well and will live a good life for however long that may be.

Take a look at the heartworm association for further information in regards to heartworm and recommendations.
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Pet Owner

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you all... Joy is now done with all three of her injections, medications, and we can stop keeping her calm tomorrow!! she is really hypening up!! Her heartworm test isn't till Sept, to give the heartworms plenty of time to weaken and die. Now we just give her heartguard monthly forever.
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM

I agree with Rainbow in feeling very fortunate that heartworm is not a concern here.
I wish your pup all the best in her recovery. I'm sure she must be happy to have a little more freedom now! Nice work!
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hurray!!! Glad to hear that she's doing so well and getting some energy back! She's going to love being able to play

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you all... Joy is now done with all three of her injections, medications, and we can stop keeping her calm tomorrow!! she is really hypening up!! Her heartworm test isn't till Sept, to give the heartworms plenty of time to weaken and die. Now we just give her heartguard monthly forever.
My Maddox went through the exact same thing..same procedure. He was only recommended to be on heartguard for 18 months thereafter and then on the regular regime of heartguard after the 18 months.
My boy was tested last month and another negative..
Hang in there...it's a long process and I for one am in your corner.