Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 12th, 2003, 11:20 PM

cat chews many inappropriate things

One of my cats, a two year old neutered male, chews and swallows shoelaces,ribbon, yarn, elastic hair bands, plastic bags and wrapping, styrofoam, and rubber such as ballons and cleaning gloves. He chewed on my embroidery a week ago and swallowed the needle. A trip to the vet ensued with x-rays, fortunately it was already in his colon and a subsequent x-ray revealed he had passed it safely. Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop this behavior? So far I have been using bitter apple on shoelaces and trying to be meticulous about keeping everything else away from him. Clearly I failed with the needle. He is a great cat in every other way. Thank you for any suggestions.
Old July 15th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Cat out of control

Hi K,

It seems like you are doing the right things with the bitter apple. You can also try rubbing orange peel.

Your cat seems extremely curious and playful.

If this were my cat, I probably would baby proof my living space, close doors, put stuff in inaccessible areas, basically only allow the cat to go where I want it to go. I,d DEFINITELY put the worst stuff like elastics, yarn, needles in a lockable place.

I would also give that cat loads of toys, empty boxes multi-level scratching posts etc. I would spray them with catnip from time to time if your cats digs catnip.

The only other thing that I could suggest is medication to calm him down if he is really THAT out of control.

Good luck

B6