Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 1st, 2004, 08:23 PM

Cat pee - cat marking - wHy doesn't he get it? ...

... i have a 5 month old male kitten.. and i adopted him about 3 months ago.. well he was going to his litter box fine.. and we never had any problems with him going... but all of a sudden he will pee in the kitchen.. sometimes even poop .. like he doesn't kno where his box is! i have another kitten .. female.. 7 months.. and she's never given me any problems like him.. is there anything i can do to get him understand? .... i've tried telling him no in all kinds of ways.. and trying to make it understand it's wrong to pee or poop outside his box! what do i do?
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i've tried telling him no in all kinds of ways
What do you mean by this? If you have used any punitive or harsh methods, you are making the problem worse.

With cats, this is NOT a housetraining problem. When cats go outside the box, there is always a reason and we have to find out what it is.

You say he's doing this "all of a sudden". This often indicates a physical problem. The first thing to do is have him checked for a urinary tract problem - very common in male cats.

Are both cats spayed and neutered?

How many litterboxes do you have?

If he checks out fine at the vet, I'll have suggestions for you.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:15 PM

...no i would never use harsh methods.. i'll try to take him to where he peed and tell him strongly .. no.. or somethings.. when i see him doing it.. i look at him.. he looks at me.. and i just tell him.. "tigger.. no.. that's not the place.." ...

my girl cat is spayed.. she was spayed about 1 month ago.. a lil more.. i have to take him to the vet to get neutered in a couple of weeks.. that's when the vet told me he will be ready... i will defenitly ask the vet about this problem.. and find out if he does have a urinary tract problem...

... it's just strange..cuz he started doing this.. and then stopped.. and then now he's doing it again...
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:30 PM
banned user

You think he's too young to be marking, Lucky? That's the first thing I thought of when he said off again on again.
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

He is too young to mark.

Quote:
i'll try to take him to where he peed and tell him strongly .. no.. or somethings..
Don't do this. You will stress him and make it worse. Just clean it up and use something like Nature's Miracle to erase the odour.

You must never be anything less than gentle over litterbox problems. And if you only have one litterbox, definitely add another one!
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:23 PM
~Cat Servent~

Lightbulb

As I mentioned in another thread, I had this problem very recently,and man did I get all sorts of advice,the dumbest one being to rub their noses in it!

For sure the first thing to do is get a vets advice, and if you want to avoid the costly visit, you can take in just the urine sample and have it analyzed (that's what I did first). You need to put something (maybe a boot mat) at the spot where he is urinating/deficating that will contain some of the puddle so that you can dump it into a clean container (ew...trust me I know), take a fecal sample as well if possible.
If there is no problem with the urine/feces and kitty is healthy, then it is a behavioural problem which can be solved by adding another litter box, the vet suggests placing it where he is having his "accidents" , then once he is back on track with the litter box, move it to a more private location. Just be sure to take him to the new location and gently rub his paws in it, as he would when burying his "deposits". Hope this is helpful.

P.S. My cats have never responded well to the word "no"!!!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM

:)

...thanks! i will try all the suggestions here... including asking his vet about .. and getting another litter box...thanks everyone
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Sammi

Ideally, you should have a litter box for every cat you own, plus one
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM
Animal Lover!!

Years ago, Talon had started doing the same thing, peeing outside the box etc. I was worried and took him to the vet and sure enough had a UTI. Pls take your cat to the vet. They can die if they stay blocked too long!
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:45 AM

update!

ok...here's a quick update ...

i bought 1 new litter box..bigger then the one they had... as soon as i came home.. put litter in it.. tigger.. my male kitten was already sniffing it... and surely enough... he marked it quick!.. so i went and bought another litter box.. for my female kitten... and for a couple of days..everything was fine each one with their litter boxes... until earlier 2day.. my boy cat went pee in the kitchen floor... so next week when i take him to the vet..i'll consult him about my kitten's lil problem... and have him checked for a UTI...

....thanks everyone!
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:34 PM
~Cat Servent~

Vet check for sure and let us know....but still for now did you try putting the litter box directly over the spot he peed at in the kitchen? This was the key for my problem....
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Hi, I'm new and desparate. I have two cats who love each other. A boy and a girl. The boy is 1 and the girl is 2. Everything was great at first. Their litter boxes were clear across the room from each other and there were no problems. But eventually I noticed that after a few months the boy started using Halle's litter box sometimes. And they both were interchanging litter boxes. Kind of like if you use mine I'll use yours. So I decided to just put the litter boxes next to each other to make cleaning faster. For a while no problems but for about a month now someone has been peeing on the floor right infront of what would be Halle's littler box, several times a day. I moved Gandalf's litter box back over across the room and cleaned the boxes, gave them brand new litter and disinfected everything so there were no smells. And I put each cat inter thier own litter boxes several times that day so they knew. But still someone is peeing in front of Halles box. If I leave it there it just builds up. A small amount is not enough for who ever it is. I'm ready to freak out. My husband is ready to throw them both out. We are going away on vacation for a week and I don't want a giant mess when I get back. I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I can try?
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM

Oh and they are both fixed since very young as well. I think the pee is Halle's because it is not the kind that will make you pass out when you smell it. Plus Gandalf is very non-chalant and just lays on his back in the middle of the room even if there was a stampeed coming. Halle is very jumpy and timid. Plus she was here first. I just don't know!
I just made a Dr. appointment for Halle this afternoon just to rule that out.

Last edited by stasia222; July 25th, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Good idea on the vet appointment. First thing whenever a cat starts to eliminate in undesirable locations is to rule out any medical issues. Let us know what the vet says, and we can go from there.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Okay I will. I have to try and get a sample before we leave but I don't know if that will happen because my kids are in the basement and that is where the boxes are. She won't do that infront of anyone. I may have to move everyone. If I had emergency pet insurance, I wonder if this would be considered an emergency since it's not a regular appointment.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasia222 View Post
I have to try and get a sample before we leave .
The vet should be able to take a urine sample via cystocentisis, which is the insertion of a small gauge needle directly into the bladder (sounds bad, but it really doesn't hurt). This would actually be the best method because it's the most sterile, and then the urine can be sent for a culture & sensitivity to determine if there's any bacteria and what type it is.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
How many litterboxes do you have?
I had a cat that would use the litter box and then suddenly stopped.
I took him to the vet, and he said before he did any costly test he wanted me to try something.
I had three cats at the time, and three litter boxes, my vet informed that some cats do not like share litter boxes with others. He told me to go get another litter box, put it in a "special spot" just for Wendell.
I had my doubt but I did exactly as he told me, of course I had to try and keep an eye on the other cats so they wouldn't go use Wendell's box and I was surprised, he started using his box again and has ever since
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM

My vet told me the same thing. But my boy cat would just use it because it was there. He's just dopey. But they thought Halle was not sick at all so they said to take her lid off her litter box and see if that is the problem before adding another box. So I opened the lid and she has not peed on the floor since!