Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old July 26th, 2007, 10:45 PM

Best place to buy big tanks

Hello guys,

Based on your experience, what is the best place for me to buy a big tank - 200 gallons tank plus?

I got a quote from BA for a 210 gallon around 1100 plus tax. I am wondering if you guys ever seen such big tanks on sale including their stands as well.

Thanks a lot
dodo
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Swift Tribe

petco usually does a sale once a year in the spring where its $1 a gallon. its not usually advertised so you have to start asking around Feb.

look at Craigslist.org or freecycle.org or check the news paper. on one hand getting a tank that large is worth it new because if cracks or seal issues btu on the other hand people sell them all the time for a fraction of new cost. depends on how you feel about it.

personally i would get one used. if you can, have them fill it befor eyou pay for it to see if there are any obvious leaks. if there are not, then bring it home, set it up on the back porch and let it set for a week or so with a 1/4 cup of bleach along with the water to check for any slow leaking leaks.

also if you are a DIYer you can build your own stand and hood. *quite* rewarding expecially if you need to modify lighting or plumb a sump/fuge.

keep us posted!! i *love* a new fish tank!!! will this be your first?

-ashley
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tryed Petsmart?

ACO22
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
Hello guys,

Based on your experience, what is the best place for me to buy a big tank - 200 gallons tank plus?

I got a quote from BA for a 210 gallon around 1100 plus tax. I am wondering if you guys ever seen such big tanks on sale including their stands as well.

Thanks a lot
dodo
There's not any specific places I ever buy tanks. Most of our tanks were used, found on craigslist.org, and we've yet to have a problem with any of them leaking, though we always buy them under the impression that they MIGHT have to be resealed, whether the seller says so or not.

You may want to call around to several pet stores and fish stores, even smaller ones and see what kind of deals they will cut you, some fish stores will sell their tanks at or near cost because they make most of their money on other stuff. One of the fish stores we frequent has 220g tanks for right at $1,000, that includes stand, glass tops, and lights. (That's U.S money. You didn't list where you live so I'm not sure whether you're referring to Canadian money or what).

Where do you live? I may be able to refer you to a website that has good deals on aquariums, but since I'm in the U.S it may not be much help if you live elseware since shipping would probably be outrageous.

Glasscages.com has a lot of large tanks for a decent price, though their stands are pricey. I'm not sure on their shipping though.
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Tank

I am located in toronto. I only know BA that sells 200 gallon plus unless i get it custom made. I am looking for drilled tank and thats why i am leaning towards the AGA (all glass aquarium) tanks so it will be easier for me to install sumps. I will use it for Fresh Water.

210 tank AGA is 72 by 24 by 29. I am planning to stock it with fresh water stingrays and will upgrade to a bigger tank in the future. I want to have one tank which is at least 210 gallon and another one in the future around 300 gallon which needs to be a 3 feet wide to accomodate the rays.

Thanks for all your help
dodo

I currently have a 110 gallon
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I can't help you there since I don't know any aquarium stores outside of the U.S.

You may want to try posting on Monsterfishkeepers.com and asking since most of us on there keep very large aquariums and I know there are several users that reside in Canada, though I'm not sure how many in Toronto.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
Sorry, I can't help you there since I don't know any aquarium stores outside of the U.S.

You may want to try posting on Monsterfishkeepers.com and asking since most of us on there keep very large aquariums and I know there are several users that reside in Canada, though I'm not sure how many in Toronto.
Thanks for the advice. I recently joined MFK and still could not find any deals in Toronto. Everything in terms of fish is overpriced in toronto. If you compare BA US and BA Canada, the difference is a LOT

I will still continue to look.............

What FW fish do you keep?
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Not a whole lot of larger fish right now, we're waiting to move so we can get more space.

I've got a 29g with some jellybean parrot/convict crosses, an anostomus ternetzi, one lone danio (he's the only one one of our other fish didn't kill for some reason), and an angelfish.
A 10g with a betta and 2 kuhli loaches. Had some kind of disease run through most of my kuhlis several months back because I failed to quarantine : (. Will be adding more after I quarantine several soon.
a 5g with one betta.

As far as bigger tanks:
a 125g with several africans (livingstoni, obliquidens, a few random mbunas) an ornate bichir and a small yellow bellied slider.

Another 125g with several native fish - longear sunfish, a green sunfish, 4 shadow bass (rock bass subspecies basically), a checkered madtom, a bullhead, and a largemouth bass. There's also a red devil in there, he belonged to one of our friends and it was the only tank we had where he wouldn't beat up other fish, but he's doing great in there so I guess he's staying, though pretty soon several fish will be moved to their own tanks anyway, leaving him in there with just the longear and green sunfish. Then we can add a heater and get it up to a better temp (right now it's 75F).

a 90g with a marbled headstander, a leporinus desmotes, an ornate bichir, 6 ropefish, and a senegal bichir.

a 55g with 16 2" indonesian dats (being moved to a 75g tomorrow), 2 BN plecos, a driftwood cat (not sure of scientific name, he was given to us) and 5 baby clown loaches.

I think that's about it for FW, we currently have two SW tanks also.

My MFK name is ShadowBass, BTW.