Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Clipping cats nails

Hi everyone, I'm a new poster here, just found you. I'm also a new cat owner, we adopted Izzy in March. She is almost 2 years old. I am a fraidy cat (pun intended) LOL aobut clipping her nails. The agency I adopted her from, the lady will come to my home and do it but I'd really like to do it myself, just to save her the trouble.

Can anyone recommend some tips or pointers for me?

Also what about brushing? We've never tried, is it ever to late to begin a grooming regime?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Welcome! Pics of Izzy???

First, every cat is different as to how they will accept clipping and brushing...best to just brush and see how it goes...brush as much as you like if Izzy likes it...shorter periods if izzy doesn't...positive interaction for both of you

Now clipping...seeing how you are new at it, I would ask the lady to come by and show you how to do it...show you what the wick (?) looks like...let you clip a few with her there and then you can try yourself the next time (I clip once a week)...probably the easiest and most comfortable for both you and Izzy. If she won't show you, your vet will. I find on the rear paws especially, I put my baby finger behind their heal so they can't jerk the leg back...you may get bitten a bit at first, but don't give up...silly cats, they can't get out of it simply by biting you! oh and doing it while they are sleepy helps and hten they get used to it and all is good...my Jaeger, Mooki and now Messina all purr while getting clipped...Seth puts up with it...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby

Last edited by TacoGrl; May 12th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Congrats on your new kittie. Thanks for adopting one a bit older.
Clipping claws is different for each cat. Meaning that they react differently. This is a good site for showing/telling you how to cut the nails. It doesn't take long to get used to clipping nails. Most important thing is to get kitty used to it.

http://www.softpaws.com/article.html

Having the woman come in and show you how to clip them so you don't cut the quick is a great idea too! Good thinking TacoGrl!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 12th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM

I should have clarified, she did show me, I'm just scared to death to do it. She did her front paws really fast, almost before Izzy could react. When she went to do her back ones, that's when the hissing and growling started.

I cannot tell you how happy Izzy has made our home. My son instead of buying me a mothers day card, wrote me a note and at the very end of it he said "thanks for us getting Izzy" He is 12. How sweet is that?
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
proud to be a cat slave

So great of you to adopt little Izzie..

I agree, different cats require different techniques.. I have one that has no problem getting clipped, one that struggles a bit, and the third we need two people and a couple of pairs of gloves to get it done!

If you're worried, start by gaining her trust by just gently pressing her toes while she's sitting with you to expose the claw - get her used to you doing that.. you might also want to have some treats ready, and give her one after each nail.. If you're worried about cutting the quick, as I often am, start by just cutting the tips off - as long as you miss the pink part of the nail, you're fine, but if you don't want to go too far at first, don't worry.. the main thing is to gain her trust while you do it..

Good luck!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Master of the Drool!

Again welcome to the forum. I never have clipped cat nail befor but I do the big guys myself. I am not a big fan of it but it does get easier over time.

That was a sweetie of your son for your mothers day card!
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM

My cats were so difficult that I had to wait until they were asleep before I could trim their nails.

Now that I'm good at it, I can get it done before they get annoyed.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl View Post
I should have clarified, she did show me, I'm just scared to death to do it. She did her front paws really fast, almost before Izzy could react. When she went to do her back ones, that's when the hissing and growling started.
Couple suggestions: I would never do all four paws in one sitting, even with a cat that doesn't mind the process. Sessions should be short and sweet, leaving on a high note (which means an extra-tasty treat reserved for just such occasions). In fact, until you get more comfortable, I wouldn't do more than one claw at a time.

Definitely get Izzy used to having her paws handled (and other parts too, like ears, or lips). When you're having a good petting session and she's nice and relaxed, gently but firmly run your hand down her leg to her toes, just as if it was a continuation of a long pat. If she doesn't freak out, give her a treat. Do it again later and randomly throughout the day. Once she's used to that, you can hold her toes a little longer, maybe press down on the top of a knuckle to unsheath the claws. More treats. Eventually pull out the clipper and let her sniff it. Practice clipping the ends off of toothpicks and let her get used to the sound it makes. During another petting session, confidently clip just the very tip of one claw. No biggie. The next day, do another. Don't forget the treats!

Here's a previous post with some pics of me trimming my cat's claws, in case you need a visual aid: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....law#post466751

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Kitty pimp

also it gets easier usually yah def get em while sleepy and have a treat ready after booze for the hooman that is