Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Thank you - Heros big and small

Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM

Unbelievable cat sanctuary!

http://www.wimp.com/housescats/

This is where my donation dollars are going from now on. For years, I have said that if I won the lottery the first thing I would do is buy a few acres of land and open a cat sanctuary. All are welcome. This wonderful lady is doing what I always hoped I could do. She is my hero.

The Maine Coon Mafia (litter mates)
Casey - Male Maine Coon, 3 years
Mak - Male Maine Coon, 3 years

The abandoned newcomer: Linus - Male Tabby, 1 year
Minnie - Female Tortie, RIP 9/3/93-8/18/09 (In Heaven, but never far from our hearts)

The Pooches... Best friends for life.
Miko - Male Chi/Terrier mix, 2 years
Mansa - Male Pit Bull, 1 year
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Is this the same one? I can't get the link you gave open. I guess it doesn't like my wireless. She is an amazing woman for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwM6f0liHpo

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM

Yuppers! That's the same one. Thank you for posting a better link.

Maybe some of my link was lost in translation. hehe!

I am in absolute awe of her.

Minnie - Female Tortie, RIP 9/3/93-8/18/09 (In Heaven, but never far from our hearts)

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
~Cat Servent~

I gave to them last Christmas (when I had the moola).... I really really want to go see the place in person, maybe make it like a vacation and volunteer a couple of days or something. I know if I ever had the space....or money that's what I'd be doing!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I gave to them last Christmas (when I had the moola).... I really really want to go see the place in person, maybe make it like a vacation and volunteer a couple of days or something. I know if I ever had the space....or money that's what I'd be doing!
Yep, you would come home a mess and wanting to adopt all of the kitties young lady!!
My problem is money. I have the space. Just no money. I need to win my lottery!!!!!!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
~Cat Servent~

(has a nice slice of her imaginary lottery winnings already slotted for the 14+ Catuary)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
(has a nice slice of her imaginary lottery winnings already slotted for the 14+ Catuary)
You are a sweetie!! And then you can be my helper.
Hubby says if we ever won the kitties would have a (much bigger) house of their own. Or is it that I would have a house of my own with the kitties..........

Does anyone know if the lady in California has managed to get out of the hole as far as funding goes?

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM

I wonder how you go about getting a grant for that kind of thing.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
Senior Contributor

This woman is my hero! How amazing. I love that she ISN'T a crazy cat lady just hoarding cats.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equla View Post
I wonder how you go about getting a grant for that kind of thing.
This what you're looking for?

http://grants.library.wisc.edu/organ...s/animals.html

Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

I'm going to look into this. We wanted to move out of Nevada anyway, so why not get a larger plot of land while we're at it, right? Plus, I've been laid off, so career change is in order anyway.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
150% PRO S/N

You're welcome. Just don't expect to make money doing it. It's a career for sure but not one that will make you rich.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:45 AM

Not rich financially.... but a millionaire with love!

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I remember seeing her before,but I could watch it over and over again,an amazing video,an amazing lady

Dahmer,it's funny you should say that about winning the lottery,hubby also said if we won,we'd donate a chunk to our own 14+ kitty-rescuer and sanctuary,but that's wishful thinking:sad:
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw this video a while ago. She is an amazing place and she is an amazing woman. I also recently found another similar story, this time it's a man. He's got such a wonderful little place for all of his cats. He's made them a little city.

Caboodle Ranch

It's also been my dream for a long time to do the same. But like 14+, I'd need to win the lottery too.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I remember seeing her before,but I could watch it over and over again,an amazing video,an amazing lady

Dahmer,it's funny you should say that about winning the lottery,hubby also said if we won,we'd donate a chunk to our own 14+ kitty-rescuer and sanctuary,but that's wishful thinking:sad:
Sugarcatmom posted about her and her sanctuary last year. She is a wonderful soul.

Thank you chico. I would love to be able to do more than I do.
I wish I could get some of mine adopted but as soon as you mention a cost for adoption or that the cats can not be declawed and have to be indoor only people walk away. They know there are so many around here they can get for free so why pay? :sad: Doesn't matter how much I flap my gums or advertise. It's the same story every time. Those who profess interest and I hope I may hear from never call either. After losing Bandit baby, last Christmas I think it just made me more cautious about adopting to people I can't check up on. :sad:

Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post

I would too !!!!

keep buying those lotto tickets Chico2 , that's what I do

one day .....
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I would too !!!!

keep buying those lotto tickets Chico2 , that's what I do

one day .....
Thanks hon. I would do the same for you too. That way you could have tons more fosters.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
-

Quote:
Thanks hon. I would do the same for you too. That way you could have tons more fosters.
and have myself an old dogs sanctuary , I would have an older dogs rescue , the ones who wouldn't get adopted , would stay here with me
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
and have myself an old dogs sanctuary , I would have an older dogs rescue , the ones who wouldn't get adopted , would stay here with me
Same as me. There are a ton of older kitties out there who's life is about to end because there are no homes for them. :sad:
Hubby has already got the house planned for them. 'Course he thinks it's just for the ones I have now. Hehe You'd figure after eight years he would know better huh?
The "good" vet in the office I go to has somewhere around 200 cats she "owns". They run adoptions all the time and are having a difficult time getting them adopted. They will never be euthanized though. Unless they get too sick of course.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

I'm going to look into this. We wanted to move out of Nevada anyway, so why not get a larger plot of land while we're at it, right? Plus, I've been laid off, so career change is in order anyway.
Just make sure on the property u buy u are allowed to own a lot of cats. *S*

14+ I love this video. I saw it last year and I told hubs that I would love to go to that place to see all the animals running free. Told my friends I would love to have a place like that if i won the lottery!!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

That's pretty sad,we are all waiting to win the lottery
In the meantime,we buy them every week,who knows,eh

14+,I am sure hubby knows if he builds another house there will be more kitties, he just pretends ignorance
He knows very well how important they are to you and to most of us really,I've never met anyone as dedicated to the wellfare of our little furry friends as you.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM

holy potatoes - thats a lot of cats! good on her! amazing woman!!

i have always wanted to do that too - cats, dogs, any animal to save them from useless euthanizing, homeless strays, etc....but, i too, need to win the lottery!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM

Makes me wonder... All this dough we are all throwing at the lottery, we could just all put it into a bank account that has a high yield (or whatever it's called) and then in 5-10 years all join together and open a REALLY big one.

Maybe 14+ will host. hehehe!

Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Makes me wonder... All this dough we are all throwing at the lottery, we could just all put it into a bank account that has a high yield (or whatever it's called) and then in 5-10 years all join together and open a REALLY big one.

Maybe 14+ will host. hehehe!
The sanctuary is already started. No where near 700. Only 36. But I'm small potatoes. No funding.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
The sanctuary is already started. No where near 700. Only 36. But I'm small potatoes. No funding.
Just let me know where to send the funding. We love charity, but never know where our dollars go. That's one of the reasons I volunteer. I know where it's going.

I would honestly much rather order food or whatever and have it sent to you than have the ASPCA debit money from my account every month and never know what its spent on.

Old December 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Just let me know where to send the funding. We love charity, but never know where our dollars go. That's one of the reasons I volunteer. I know where it's going.

I would honestly much rather order food or whatever and have it sent to you than have the ASPCA debit money from my account every month and never know what its spent on.
Aww thank you so much. At the moment we are fine. I'm sure the wonderful woman with all the kitties in California could use your help. She has a full time vet to pay. Not to mention her food bill must be humongous!!!!

Old December 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Aww thank you so much. At the moment we are fine. I'm sure the wonderful woman with all the kitties in California could use your help. She has a full time vet to pay. Not to mention her food bill must be humongous!!!!
Good lord, I can't even imagine the upkeep on that place. You probably just finish filling all the food bowls and it's time to fill them again.

Good thing they are outdoor kitties. I couldn't imagine scooping 700 litter boxes!

Old December 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Good lord, I can't even imagine the upkeep on that place. You probably just finish filling all the food bowls and it's time to fill them again.

Good thing they are outdoor kitties. I couldn't imagine scooping 700 litter boxes!
I have 17 which are cleaned every day. Sometimes twice a day. But they still use good ol' grass too. Believe me, if I didn't clean it daily you would know. The smell would be horrible at her place if it wasn't cleaned daily!

Old January 25th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Exclamation

14+, it's too bad you haven't been able to get more of your Catuary inhabitants adopted...but good for you for sticking to your guns re: no declawing/inside only. I find it hard to believe that those concepts present such a difficulty to most people . Sigh. Hang in there , oh, and the 'checking' on homes is so good, as well.

I am somewhat acquainted (just business, and not animal related) with one or 2 folks who backyard breed with dogs; the people are quite pleasant, but are breeding for $$, and don't screen for 'approved homes'. I just don't get it. Enough animals, already , and if you MUST breed, do so responsibly!! Goes for cats, dogs, and even horses...etc. GAH.

You're a total role model, 14+ .