Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old May 30th, 2010, 10:41 PM

my 4-5 kitten and her tooth

my 4-5 kitty's tooth fell out and i know about kittens losing their baby teeth around this time and most of them just swallow it therefore we dont really see the tooth itself. but mine spit it out and i saw the tooth and i really only have two questions about this matter.

1. when the tooth comes out are the roots supposed to come out too? because the tooth that i found seems to be just broken off... rather than "came out"...

2. the spot where the tooth came off is slightly red...is that normal??

** my kitty doesn't seem to be in any pain at all **

i hope it's the baby - adult tooth transition
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have never seen the root, it is my understanding that the adult tooth will wear down the roots of the baby tooth as it is pushing it out, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:48 PM
~Cat Servent~

I knocked out two on my Windy's teeth when she was a kitten (not on purpose...she liked to play fight with my hand and they fell out while playing) neither of them had much of a root, and the area was a wee bit reddish, but she kept eating like nothing was wrong and her big girl teeth grew in in no time!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I've found two baby teeth from the gang and it didn't look like it had any root on it either. Heck, I never even noticed they'd lost the tooth until I found it!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Catlover2

I used to find teeth sometimes with my kitties.....sounds like normal kitty teething to me.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Baby teeth generally have very small roots and some of that seems to get resorbed by the body during the teething process. Our dogs' baby teeth didn't show much root when they fell out, either, but the gums usually were a little irritated. One of our dogs, Cole lost all his front teeth one day, then all his back teeth a week or so later. Our little toothless wonder

Not sure if kitty's would do it, but for our puppies, we'd always rinse a clean old washcloth in water, then freeze it for them to chew on. The cold seemed to ease the gum irritation. Think your kitty would chew on something like that?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."