Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old May 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad: There just aren't words to say how shocked and saddened I am. I've been looking regularly for updates and now this. I'm sitting at work just sobbing - I hope nobody comes in. When Sam was first picked up I sent a donation to Inverness to help with his care, I wish I could have done more. Inverness and BMD were his saviors and angels. BMD you did what needed to be done - your last loving gift to Sam I Am was to let him die with dignity and with love beyond what many dogs will ever know. He's free of his pains now and on his way to the Bridge. He'll be a special angel to many people, but mostly to you two wonder ladies.

BMD I know in my heart it's not the end of the road for you. You'll just have to take your time and your heart will lead you to the right road in the future.

My love and gratitude to those of you who helped this boy. I can't believe how very moved I am right now over a pooch I never met. Thank dog Sam's life ended filled to the brim with your love BMD. Sam I Am - you were a special boy who brought much awareness to us all, we'll miss you so much.
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
-

You will be keenly missed Sam I am ~ your journey touched our hearts and our souls. Thank you BMD and Inverness for allowing us to be a part of that journey. We know that your love for dear Sam will remain neverending.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Kitty Consort

BMD, I am so very sorry for this devastating loss you have suffered.:sad:

My heart aches for you at this time of such pain and grief. I wish there was some way to ease your terrible hurting.
I send my deepest sympathies to you.

dear and precious Sam.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

BMD! I am sitting here in tears thinking this cant be true...I cannot even imagine how all of you feel that rescued this dear soul! I have to say that we really dont know one another here! but in many ways we do! we have those special spots in our hearts and homes to give a second chance...and BMD and all of you out there that are involved in rescue's like Sam are Angels! I dont know all of Sams story but it captured me from the first time I saw his photo on this site..I always looked forward to his updates..I honestly have to say that many of the people I have discussions with regarding animals have all heard about Sam! and many others on this site!

BMD I hope that you will remember all the great things that happened to Sam while with you and know that he will certainly be waiting at the bridge! I hope that whatever road you take that involves all of the great things you have done so far!

Sam

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM

I am so sorry for your loss of Sam :love: He will always be with you.

Run to the bridge with no pain boy.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:34 PM

RIP sweet Sam I'm so sorry BMD
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Animal Lover

sweet Sam. Like others I followed this story. And like others I have tears in my eyes for a sweet soul I never even met.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Thanks everyone. I'm in a better mental state tonight, more clear... so I'll try to explain some of what went on with Sam in his last few days. Basically, Sam had a massive reaction. All his joints and skin were terribly swollen. So much so that when my husband tried to assist him, he would cry out in pain and nip. So out of character for Sam. He was given a large dose of cortisone. Along with a few other drugs to try to make him comfortable. This worked for about 24 hours. Then his head was extremely swollen, his legs swollen and just trying to put a needle in him caused him to cry out. His temperature was skyrocketing. I was able to pull out large clumps of hair again with just a slight pat. He would not get up to greet us. He crawled in to bed with my eldest daughter and lay against her for the night. He was giving up his spirit and his health was failing. His heart was pounding like a racehorse after having done the mile. We could have sent him to St Hyacinthe for some allergy testing but it would have been agony for him and the drugs required to get him back again would have shut his organs down for good. So thus we came to the decision that it was time to let him go. He knew it and I owed him that.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Boss-lady!

Thanks for letting us know, BMD.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM

My heart and tears go out to the both of you, I'm so sorry again that you have to hurt so much, Sam is painfree now, and I hope that you can take some comfort in that.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Sam I am

BMD I am very sorry to here about Sam. I have followed this story from the beginning and I believe you were sent to Sam for a reason and this last part of his life was probably his happiest. You were his saviour even for a short time and if it wasn't for you and Inverness Sam would never have known such a great love. I know this time is very hard but the good times with Sam will shine threw and they will make you smile. Please never give up the fight for better lives for pets in need you are a god send. Sam
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww BMD. Thanks so much for letting us know

You did do the right thing, Sam has suffered a lot in his short life, but thanks to you and all the others who have helped him, he lived the last part of it happy and loved.
Sweet Sam:sad:
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM

my heart and go out to you.. you made this soul a happy pup and gave him so much love in the time you had him.. i am sure he knew that.. and is at peace now
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

BMD - thank you for taking the time and effort (as I'm sure it was draining for you) to let us know exactly what happened to Sam I Am. It's never an easy decision but you did what was right for him. It's never right for us, but best for them. You will always have his happy face to remember him by. The magic of your memories will slowly heal your broken heart. You are a God Send to these animals and that's why you got Sam.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM

I am so sorry BMD - how heartbreaking for you and sweet Sam. :sad:

I have been following his story all along and was in awe of your selflessness and all of the energy and heart you put into helping Sam through his what seemed like endless battle.

You did all you could and my thoughts & prayers are with you right now. I hope you can find some comfort knowing Sam left us knowing he was loved and that was all thanks to you.

Sam
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,I did not know our Sam had gone to the bridge:sad:
My heart went for a loop,tears are flowing,what a terrible loss for all who loved him and cared for him and for us who only knew of his struggles from pictures and reports,but loved him..
I loved you from a distance,beautiful,brave Sam may you
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Bmd Lover

I know how you feel and share your pain..The memories don't help when you miss the soft fur, petting the soft head and ears and listening to their own kind of communication with you..I lost my friend as well this May..and I miss him very much. I look under the desk, by the front door, by the water bowl and in the side yard but all is empty now. Empty like the big hole thats left in our lives now..Know that you are not alone when you feel down every now and then..I am the same as you..and know that I care
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM

I am so so sorry.
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I am so sorry that Sam had to leave you, what a heart wrenching tale. He gave you love unconditionally and in turn, you gave him an exceptional few months of loving.

to you and your family....Thank you for loving Sam...

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Young at Heart

I am so sorry for your loss! It is so sad.. I do hope you heal soon and are dealing with this ok...
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry that I didn't see this until now, BMD, and I'm so sorry for you.
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:42 AM

OMG..I'm sick to my stomach that I have been away from pets.ca for awhile and have totally missed this thread. I'm at work and sobbing. I just can't believe that this has happened. BMD, I can't imagine what you're going through and I'm so very sorry that you had to make the decision for Sam, but I know it was the right one. You gave him so much love and happiness during these past 10 months and now he'll never feel pain again. Bless your heart. Please don't stop doing what you do.

Sweet Sam

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I'm sorry that I didn't see this thread earlier either.

I'm very sorry for your loss. RIP Sam.