Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 14th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Question Aconite Appropriate Homeopathic Remedy?

Hi there! Sorry to ask two question in one day >.< My kitty recently developed a thiamin deficiency (very severe!) He experienced sudden convulsions, where he would turn his head far to the right and then jerk it from side to side, move his mouth like he was trying to swallow and could not, foam and drool, and run around wildly, struggling with anything in his path. During these episodes his pupils would blow until his eyes looked like giant black saucers. He would loose vision temporarily, at first just for detail, and then later completely, it seemed. When he wasn't having convulcions he was sitting in the meatloaf position looking positively miserable, hiding from light, and breathing in shallow spurts....he seemed to be struggling with pushing his breath out, flaring his nostrils and making little sounds, sometimes panting. I got him to the vet immediately and she gave him a b complex shot. I am also giving him b complex orally. He is steadily improving, with only mild versions of his previous convulsions coming on when he shakes his head or moes around too much. He is eating solid food again (hurray!!) and is sleeping stretched out, breathing deeply! I spoke with my homeopath about a remedy for my kitty. She repotorised him this afternoon and came back with Aconite. In light of his size and acute, rather than chronic state, she recomended a 6c dose, once. The symptoms she read to me seem to match very, very well!! My kitty has honey coloured amber-brown eyes, weighs 4.2 kg, and has a positively grumpy disposition around other animals save his younger sister and I. He even gets a little cheeky with her at times, but never with me. I can't sit down without having him on my lap...whatever I'm doing waits whilst he recieves some TLC! He has the alpha complex, so in my multi animal household, we're always struggling with fights.
My question was wether or not it would help relieve some discomfort he must still be experiencing if I administered the aconite (even though he seems to be on the upswing and many of the symptoms he had previously have not reoccured) and since my homepath is for humans and not kitties, is a 6c dose going to be safe and effective? Did she make the right descision about the aconite? Thank you, thank you for any responses
Also, if anyone else has experienced this frightening ordeal (thiamine deficiency) I would love to hear about your experiences, maybe it will put my mind at ease to hear some success stories, or help to avoid potential mistakes to hear some tragic ones. Thank you!!
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Vicky K

Aconite, also known as Aconitum Napellus or monkshood if you wanna look it up, is a remedy for things that come on suddenly and without warning. From my knowledge its something given to calm and control the problem and later on you have to switch to another remedy. I am no expert but it sounds like your getting good advice.

Also I would not worry about the dosage, homeopathic remedies are not like prescription drugs.
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:08 AM
<-----nut ball

I disagree Vicky about dosage...I did some courses in homeopathic medicine in University and you can easily overdose and cause serious harm if you take something homeopathic and you don't have the proper dosage (which is a common sterotype-if it's homeopathic/natural, you don't have to worry). One of the main theories behind homeopathic medicine is the cure lies in the problem. Many homeopathic medicines are matched because uses of that medicine has the same syptoms you have. There are eye drops you can use for seasonal allergies that are made from the allergic components of plant. The remedy for bee stings is bee pollen I think (it's been a while).

For instance, the Digitalis plant (aka foxglove) is used to make a heart attack drug that can be prescribed by your doctor. You can also get a homeopathic tincture of it from some places, and if you took to much you could end up with a heart attack. (It causes and cures heart attacks).

This remedy, aconite, is a deadly poison (especially the roots!!) It is used to reduce pain and reduce the pulse. An overdose of this however would do the opposite, it would cause a racing pulse and convulsions.

If your kitty is getting better, and this dog is a human homeopath, I wouldn't risk it. There are some herbs/plants out there that could kill an animal, and your homeopath might not know if this affects cats in the same way as humans.
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:42 AM

:d

Hi guys! Thank you so much for your replies! I will hold off on the remedy for now, since he seems to be doing much, much better. He hasn't had a siezure for quite a while, and he's eating solid food on his own! The only thing that remains is his movement. He's still a little ataxic, and still feeling under the weather, but he's on the upswing now! I called my homeopath right after I called my vet, but it took her a couple of days to repotorize him, so it's a little late. Thanks again for your replies!!
Old October 15th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Vicky K

You are absolutely right Raingirl, I should have thought of that. Some herbs are good for dogs but deadly for cats if ingested, such as Tea tree oil. Now for the dosage it's alarming to hear that, since their is such a wide array of documents out there that contradict, which just goes to show that when dealing with this sort of thing you should consult someone who is an expert with cats, not humans.
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Too true...which is why I wanted to check it out before I administered it.I don't have a homeopathic vet in the area, so online is the best I could do...and since there are so very many remedies, I thought I'd at least get an idea of where to start with him. Thanks again, guys