Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old June 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Thanks Growler. I do understand. What bothers me is the vet said Howie should feel better after his treatment and I know he doesn't. His appointment was scheduled for tomorrow but the vet has an emergency and won't be available. There will be another vet covering for him but our vet requested that allow him to do the treatment. So, Howie will get his next Chemo on Friday. Hopefully it's not too late for my Howie!

I truly thank everyone for your support, especially Chico, Growler, and Hazelrunpack!!!

I'll talk to you on Friday.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Sorry for not keeping you up-to-date. Busy, busy and my modem died as well as my laptop. I'm now on my old desktop and it's very slooow! My only child, Emily, went off to sleep-away-camp for the first time last week and I've been missing her terribly! We've never been more than a night apart. I was so, so worried she would miss us but she actually sent me an email telling me that she didn't have time to read my emails because they were too long and if I could tone it down she would appreciate it. So much for missing us! LOL.

Howie has gone through his second treatment of chemo and will get another on Monday. Yes, animals do tolerate chemo better than humans but they definitely have obvious side effects. He's gotten very weak and at times is very lethargic. After his second treatment he vomited all over and didn't feel well! The next day he ate breakfast but didn't eat dinner. The third day after his treatment he had no appetite and refused to eat. The vet called in an appetite stimulant, which helped him a great deal! Even though we only gave him one dose on Wednesday Howie's appetite has increased over the past three days and he's been ravenous today!! He actually ate 2-1/2 cans of food today.

The good news is that he gained a half pound since his first chemo. (he lost an entire pound since getting his stitches out and his first treatment) Howie's diarrhea is pretty much gone and except for his weakness and lethargy, he's doing well.

I just want others going through the same thing to first, know the chemo does have an effect on your cats stamina and appetite. Second, it's normal. Call your vet any time you have a question. Don't assume things are normal or not. Every cat is different. I'm convinced that Howie would be gone right now, if not for the chemo and prednisone.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Catlover2

Wondeful to hear Howie is responding well to treatment. Hope he's able to have many more years with you. All the best! Thanks for the update, and don't worry about your daughter at camp. I remember camp days as the best of my life.
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:40 AM

Happy to hear Howie is improving & eating well

for continued improvement

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

smithduke,that's wonderful news and very encouraging.
There are very few treatments of any kind,without side-effects,but I am glad it was not a long-lasting effect on Howie.
It's exciting he put on some weight,1/2 lb is good on a little cat.

Your Emily not having time to read your emails can only be good news,but I remember my youngest in camp,I was worried sick..for no reason at all.
Also lap-top
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is great news that Howie has gained a pound and is doing well with the chemo .

When my daughter went off to camp it was harder on me than her

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great update, smithduke! I'm so glad he's tolerating the chemo as well as he is and that he's got his appetite back!

for a complete remission! Howie, you keep up the good work!

Kids and camp. Sounds like she's having a blast! How long will your daughter be at camp?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM

You guys are the greatest!!! I don't know what I do without you!!

Chico, laptop!!ROFL

Howie, although weak and frail looking has been consistently eating two cans a day. He's definitely gained even more and his little belly is big and round like a kitten. I thought his diarrhea was gone but my hubby, who cleans the boxes, said Howie still has it but it's not as much and it's less stinky! Tomorrow we head off for the third treatment and only two more to go. It's very quick and easy. although my Howie boy doesn't think it is! My poor baby...:sad: I know Howie would not be with us right now if not for his treatments. Intestinal cancer is very, very aggressive and rapid. I was shocked that he could lose one pound in a week!

catlover, I've never been to camp myself but I know Emily's having a blast! Now I wished I had gone.

For everyone else who's had a son or daughter go to camp, it truly is worse for us parents!!!

Emily will be coming home this Saturday...yay...I'm worried she's going to hate coming home but at least I'll rest easy that she's with us!

I'll let you know tomorrow if Howie gained some weight.

PS I'm picking up my new Mac laptop tomorrow at Best Buy! My first one....so exciting!

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Howie's got a great appetite

for Howie's treatment tomorrow

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'll second that for tomorrow's treatment!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

for Howie today
I agree,this is a great place to be,great people
I got help and understanding,when I posted my first post 20.000+ posts ago and it's obvious I stuck around
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for my delay in responding. Howie had his third treatment. Again, he was ok for a few days and then started feeling crappy. Suddenly he hates the Wellness food and only wants to eat Fancy Feast. He's very picky for a cat who is so ill! Our feeling is, just give Howie what he wants at this stage. He's become so thin and even though he weighed the same at his last appointment, 7 lbs., he's become very frail and weak. On Thursday, Howie will have his last treatment (I thought it was five treatments but it's only four) and he'll have to stay at the vet for the entire day. He can come home later in the afternoon. I'm really afraid of how this last treatment will affect Howie because the chemo has really done a job on him already. Part of me thinks it's not the chemo but that Howie is beyond help and is dying. He's just not the same vivacious cat and doesn't really seem to take any pleasure in playing anymore. It kills me to see him like this, although he did try to eat a Q-tip this morning...:sad: His appetite is still good so I guess that's a positive sign. No matter what, he's getting lots of love, kisses etc. I have noticed that he's very sensitive to touch. Maybe Howie's entire body hurts, for whatever reason, hopefully just the chemo and not worse.

I'm sorry that this message isn't more upbeat but I'm just not feeling it. Just wanted you to know what's going on.

to all!

Old July 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM

I would also say at this point feed Howie whatever he wants to eat, it won't do him any good if he won't eat it.

for vast improvement after Thurs treatment

Old July 15th, 2009, 04:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The light at the end of the tunnel--just one more treatment and then he can recover!

for a successful treatment and a quick upswing in Howie's health!

Old July 15th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I agree, feed him what he will eat. Chemo is extremely hard on the body, once Howie is done, he will recover.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,poor Howie and you,hopefully after all this is over,he'll feel a lot better
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:44 PM

Hi Again.

My latest update on Howie. He had a major treatment today which involved an I.V. drip for a couple of hours.

My hubby picked him up and Howie was very wobbly and basically "out of it" from the sedative. We decided keeping him the carrier would be the best, since we didn't have any rooms where there wasn't furniture that he could try to jump on. After awhile we let him out and he, like a good boy, used the litter box for #1...I'm so juvenile...LOL!

Thinking all was well, Howie had a seizure. :sad: It lasted for several minutes, although it seemed like it was forever! I called our vet and was referred to an emergency clinic. The vet on call said that most likely his compromised state and anesthesia, contributed to the seizure but he couldn't rule out that his cancer could also be the issue. The great news is that Howie hasn't has any problems since his first seizure. Of course we'll watch him all night. Right now he's laying in bed with my hubby, spooning!

Now for the best part of the night...Howie had a huge, five inch turd that only a mother could be proud of!

This is the first time since April that he's had that happen!

I couldn't wait to tell you and there's no where else I'd rather pour my heart out than here!

Sweet dreams to everyone!!! Thanks again for being my rocks!!!

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:13 AM

I'm so sorry about the seizure that must've been scary I'm so glad it was only once & it stays that way.

Good news on both accounts of the litterbox activities

It's only smooth sailing from here

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM

Thanks Growler, I hope you're right!

Depending on the cat, chemo can have a big impact on how they feel. I really want others to know what to expect what chemo could possibly be like, or at least what it's done to Howie. Everyone needs a gauge to go by so my goal here it to help anyone going through the same thing. It's not easy, for sure! Everything I've ever looked up on websites about cats and chemotherapy makes it sound like a walk in the park. It's not, but it doesn't mean it's not worth it. Only time will tell for my Howie boy, but I know for a fact, without chemo, he wouldn't be here right now!

Old July 17th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,thank you for giving us regular updates,there is nothing more exciting than nice firm poop
Sorry about the seizure,must have been scary both for Howie and youit's just a one-time thing

You telling us,this tough little guy was"spooning" comfortably with hubby,brought me to tears,but I am a big wuzz
You know we are forever rooting for you and Howie to get through this
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Smithduke,thank you for giving us regular updates,there is nothing more exciting than nice firm poop
Sorry about the seizure,must have been scary both for Howie and youit's just a one-time thing

You telling us,this tough little guy was"spooning" comfortably with hubby,brought me to tears,but I am a big wuzz
You know we are forever rooting for you and Howie to get through this
Aww Chico, you make me cry!!! happy tears!

Growler, Loverforhimies, Hazelrunpack, catlover2, etc. I wish I could give you all a big hug in person!

I composed a message to you all last night because I was so, so upset but thankfully my hubby made me realize things might not be as bad as I we originally thought, therefore I deleted it. I'm glad I did. Here's what happened....Yesterday Howie wasn't able to use his tongue. He couldn't lap up water, or lick himself. When he tried to drink, he would put his whole face into the water and sneezed. Being the smart boy that he is, Howie put his paws in the water, and patted his mouth instead! I gave him some cream cheese, his favorite, and instead of licking it, he just shoved his nose into it. He had a gob of cream cheese on his nose and couldn't lick it off. I was so upset, especially after he had his seizure. Now my mind went running. Tongue cancer, brain cancer, stroke...etc. My hubby suggested that possibly during the seizure that Howie may have bitten his tongue and it's very painful. I calmed down and waited to see what the next day would bring. Thankfully, happily, and whatever happy emotion I can express, Howie has been great today!!! He's drinking, eating huge amounts and still cranking out solid poops. I can see in his eyes how much better he feels and he actually played today! Our daughter likes to make these braided bracelets and Howie decided they were his toys today. Sigh....I feel so relieved that he's finally feeling better. I do find it strange that the other chemo treatments made him feel really horrible but this latest one didn't have such extreme side effects. Granted, it can take a few days for the negative side effects to occur.

I'm not saying that he's out of the woods but it was great to see my Howie acting like his old self!

Old July 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's been a scary few days for you all! Howie is such a trooper! How wonderful that he's having such a great day after such a worrisome time!

for continued improvement! Must've been a wonderful feeling watching him playing with the bracelets.

Old July 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM

The seizure might've caused a slight temporary muscle paralysis of either the tongue or the esophagus

I'm very glad to hear Howie is feeling much better today & searching out new toys to play with

More for more improvement

Old July 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Go Howie!!
Yippee for good days! May there be many more....

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM

sugarcatmom, thank you, as well as everyone else. I didn't mean to leave you out! Thank you to everyone!!! My Googie Boy, as I call him, is doing great tonight as well! Amazing. Even if the chemo gives him a few more months, it's worth it!

By the way, our vet, whom we've been going to for 21 years, his first year as a vet, has only charged us a 1/4 of what we were told. I wouldn't go to anyone else!!

Forgive me for not being that coherent. I'm so tired and stayed up all night last night. Right now it's 1:40 AM and I'm still here. Oh well...

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Catlover2

Wow! just read some of the past posts. Fantastic how Howie has responded to chemo....Hope he keeps it up and has some more good years left for both of you to enjoy each other. You're an and so is your vet!
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

for a long remission, smithduke! You and Howie are certainly overdue for some carefree, happy days!

Old July 20th, 2009, 11:57 PM

You make me feel great! Thanks!

Howie seems so happy and healthy after a treatment but several days later he becomes weak and tired. It's a big high and then a big low! We're getting used to the pattern. Even so, I feel in my heart, that the chemo isn't working. He's so, so skinny and his diarrhea has come back..full force. I hope I"m wrong!!!

No matter what, we'll keep doing what's best for Howie.

If you only knew him, you'd love him too! He's just the sweetest cat and is so funny and happy regardless of his illness!

He has an appointment on Thursday, again, so I'll give you an update when we get home.

to you all!

Old July 20th, 2009, 11:58 PM

More to carry Howie through till Thurs

Old July 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM