Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Peeing 2yr old Jack Russell

It's not too often that I come home from work and my dog hasn't poo'd or pee'd in the house. And at first it didn't bother me cause I understood that he couldn't hold it for more than 4-5-6 + hours while I'm at work. Even though he gets let out right before I go. It started alerting me that it wasn't just the fact that he couldn't hold it when I would leave for 20-30 minutes and I would still come home to the poo and pee. Also, recently he has been peing on my bed(on the side that I sleep on right next to the pillow) and I know that it isn't because he "needs to go" I'm thinking it's personal now. He's very smart and he knows when I see it cause he knows to not even come in the room when he has done the deed somewhere in that particular part of the house. I need help. Should I just start keeping him outside while I'm not at home or is there something else I can do?
R/
Sargun
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:45 AM

Does he have a crate/is he crate trained?

Could it be seperation anxiety? Maybe he gets scared and nervous when you leave, therefore peeing/pooping.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
<-----nut ball

sounds like Separation Anxiety again. Someone just posted about a similar problem except their dog destroys the house while they are gone. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15761
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:07 AM

Not crate Trained

No, he's not crate trained. I've got one but I like for him and the cat to be able to play when I'm not there. They get along real well and it doesn't seem fair.
He does get really nervous though when I leave, some times he starts shivering when he's all excited and I pick up my keys and head towards the door. I have started tring what you had said to the other couple about trying not to show him any attention for the first 15 minutes I get home and not making a fuss when I leave. Also I will try the chew thing as well. But if there is anything you think I might should do as far as how to treat or not treat him I am all ears. Thanks so much for your help.
-Sargun

Quote:
Originally Posted by levimh
Does he have a crate/is he crate trained?

Could it be seperation anxiety? Maybe he gets scared and nervous when you leave, therefore peeing/pooping.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

My son has a JRT and she practically destroyed his apt,due to separation-anxiety,he ended up keeping her behind a baby-gate in the kitchen.
A word of caution regarding your cat,I heard of a lady having two cats and a JRT living peacefully together for a year,until one day she came home to a bloodbath,the JRT had killed both cats.
I am not saying your JRT would do that,but if he is agitated and nervous I would not leave them alone together....you never know.