Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 13th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Unhappy My dog (shih tzu) HATES his crate - help!!!

My shih tzu Sammie has been in his crate since he was 7 weeks old, he is know 18 months old. I put him in the crate while I am at work during the day. I take him outside just before and then pick him up and put him in the crate. Just within the last few weeks he has started shaking and growling at me when I go to put him in there. It has gotten to the point where he FREAKS me out. His little eyes just bulge right out of his head, he shakes, he snaps and he growls. I just do not know what to do. I started thinking he had something wrong with him, but I just had him to the vet a few months ago for his shots and had complete blood work done on him and he is healthy. He is such an angel otherwise, so I am completely frustrated by his behavior! I am to the point were I have to force him in there and I know that is not good, but I can not leave him loose in the house and I refuse to let him get his way! If anyone out there has any pointers please let me know - I am desperate, he is my life!!!
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you ever put him in there when you're home, just for short periods of time? Maybe try feeding him in his crate so he makes a positive connection....if he associates the crate with you leaving, he could just not be looking forward to a long day alone. Could be separation anxiety. Maybe give him something really good when you put him up, like a great chew bone or something to occupy his time with.

Or maybe something scared him while in the crate...? Where does he sleep at night? Perhaps putting his crate in a different location, like where he normally sleeps, would help. Try putting something that smells strongly of you in with him, like a pillowcase.

Does he actually snap AT you? He could probably use some obedience training...dogs are more secure when they have structure and rules. If he's not neutered, he should be.
Old August 14th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Lightbulb

Thank you for your suggestions! I do not put Sammie in his cage while I am home, the door is always open and he does go in and out of it. His food and water are hanging on the door, so that is always there. He does not sleep in it at night, he sleeps with me! His cage is located in my room and has always been in the same place. I can not think of anything that would have scared him in the cage. He is a VERY spoiled dog and is with me ALL the time unless I go to work, so maybe that is the problem, I just do not understand why he has changed all the sudden when it has never been an issue??

He has all of his favorite toys in there and treats - I may come up with something special that he really likes and give it to him only when he goes in his cage in the morning. I wll try it tommorrow - wish me luck.

I was going to take him to obedience, but the only night they have it here I can not go - so if that ever changes, I will take him in a heart beat!
Old August 14th, 2003, 11:14 AM

crate training

Hi I posted this yesterday for another visitor.

I don't know if you've seen this before...but it has great info.

Homer

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....&threadid=1866
Old August 14th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info Homer - I will check it out!
Old August 22nd, 2003, 10:59 AM

Just this week our terripooh has been doing the same thing growling and snapping when we put him in his crate. He seemed to not mind it for the first few weeks we had him (we only have him 3 weeks) He will go into the crate for his treat and chew toy but as soon as we put our hand on the door he starts to growl and snap. I spent a full hour this morning with a box of dog cookies trying to get him to let me close the door. I finally was able to close it a few times with just minor growling. I then locked it and un locked it. Then let him in for a little while then I locked it and walked away. he has been barking for 40 min when he stops I'll let him out. I don't know how I will put him to bed(he sleps in his crate) maybe with alot of nerve and a baseball glove on my hand (ha ha ) If anyone else has experienced this growling and nipping in the crate please lt us know what worked for you.
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Have you had any sucess with your dog? My dog sees to be getting worse. He will go into the cage willingly then literally turns on us. He is crated at night and ocassionally for an hour or so during the day.
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Lightbulb

We have made a little bit of headway. Some mornings are not as bad as others getting him in his cage. Once my dog is in his cage everything is fine, he does not bark or whine or anything. I have started getting up earlier and playing with him for a while before I go to work and it has helped. I also bought a new treat and give it to him only when he gets in his cage. I think a big mistake I have made is always picking him up and putting him in his cage instead of teaching him to go in there by himself when it is time for work. He is such a smart little thing and he knows when I am leaving - I really feel like that is the problem Any other time when I am home and he knows I am not leaving he is in and out of that cage tons of times.

As far as your little fella, I have no idea what is wrong. My dog does the complete opposite. Once he is his cage I can put my hands in there, take his collar off - no problem at all. I wish you luck - I know it is probably really tough especially since you are caging him at night. My dog used to not like being caged at night, so I let him sleep with me once he was housebroken - he is all I have and he is really spoiled!! Problem #2