Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old March 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM

I'm glad you got your robin through the winter, chico!
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hazel,I always thought they were called Cracklers,but I am wrong,they are called Grackles and more commonly just ordinary Black-Birds
I saw one today,so it means spring is not far off
I too had a lot of Chickadees all winter,they are adorable and love teasing the cats when we are outside.
Oh, Grackles! I like "Cracklers" better! The name sort of fits them!

I heard the robins this morning before I left for town, so I know they're back. I scanned the trees quickly, but when they first arrive, they're so 'shy'...musta been in the spruce trees, cuz I didn't spot any in the oaks. But at least I know they made it back! And to celebrate, Mother Nature melted off another 7 inches of snow today! Definitely mud tomorrow...
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Remembering Lukka

Today for the first time this year I heard the red-wing black birds. That alway signals the beginning of spring in my book.
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Mine too,I saw a whole flock of Red-Winged Blackbirds at my feeders, makes me feel good!!! It's the little things that matter,right:love:
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

It is a sure sign of spring! This lovely lady is in full gear for spring! She is back and looking to be in fine form! This is a picture of her last spring! I think she is gorgeous!

Cindy
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh WoW,Winston beautiful....
I have a Red Tailed Hawk and some other kind of Hawks coming here hunting around my feeders,have never been able to take a pic though!
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Madame X is a Peregrine Falcon....She has nested in Hamilton for the past 10 years or so! She is a fiesty bird! She has had many chicks over the years! Looking forward to another interesting year!

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Remembering Lukka

The Peregrine Falcon watch here is always a big event too. Volunteers line the streets when the little ones are learning to fly, and prepare to stop traffic in the event that one of the birds lands on the road.
I will soon start checking this site http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html
to track my hummers. Best get the feeder bleached and ready for another migration.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Lukkas mom! I am one of those crazy bird watchers! Well I have not had to go rescue one in the street yet! Yikes ! I hope not! They are such amazing birds to watch! It is nice to be able to see them on a live web cam too! from the time the egg arrives to the day they make their first flight!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Remembering Lukka

Wait a minute, we don't have a web cam as far as I know for our Peregrines. Do you have a link you can post so I can see yours?
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Absolutely!

Hamilton is @ http://www.hamiltonnature.org/hamfalcam.html

Most live webcams can be found through the Canadian Peregrine Foundation @ http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/

Just scroll down and you will see live web cams!

Interesting to read that London had 3 females sucessfully fledge in 2006...They resident female of the London nest was killed this past summer due to an accident. So this spring will certainly be an interesting year for London! A new female hopefully! It usually doesnt take the male long to find another mate!

Cindy

P.S I have alot of live web cam links for birds, bears, eagles, osprey, polar bears, penguins you name it! Technology has come a long way!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Remembering Lukka

Thanks for the links
Seems to me that I also heard that the male had been killed maybe from three years back or so. I could be wrong. Hope we get a nesting pair this year.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes London has had some tragedy's over the years...Hamilton actually fostered George a few years ago and he ended up being the male in London for a few years!

I forgot to mention that the live web cams are just starting back up! Some of them shut down for the winter months! but Spring is in the air so it will not be long!

I watched our couple this morning make a graceful flight together through the downtown core! What a sight to see!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Remembering Lukka

Well I certainly will enjoy watching your web cam and thanks again for posting it. I know many here will most likely have a look too.
I don't think I am experienced in bird watching enough to know if I did see our Peregrines flying over head.
I have only started bird watching in the last three years or so and mostly its just as migration goes through my yard. I do get to see Rosebreasted Grossbeaks and also at Fanshawe Bluebirds
I have seen a bald eagle several times in the last month or so on the cliffs where I walk Lukka at Fanshawe conservation area. Very impressive.
I have often thought I'd like to go on birding tours of Point Pelee and maybe this will be the year that I actually do it.

Last edited by Lukka'sma; March 14th, 2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Lukkasmom,I read somwhere if you put the hummingbird-feeder out early spring you'll get Hummers looking for a good feeding and nesting place and hopefully stay
I am also a Butterfly-nut,several of my plants attract all kinds of butterflies,but mostly Monarchs.
Here are a couple of pics I took from last summer..
Attached Images

Old March 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Remembering Lukka

Oh I love my butterflies. I have gone to the Wings Of Paradise http://www.wingsofparadise.com/ a couple of times but not in the last two years. I have heard that there is also one in Niagara Fall Ontario that is so much larger than this one. Some day I will go there too.
Funny but one of the things I love most when walking with Lukka in the summer are the little cabbage butterflies in the clover fields we stroll through. I doubt too many people get excited over them, but they make me smile each and every time I see them.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Half Way To Crazy

those are beutiful pictures chico2
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
...Funny but one of the things I love most when walking with Lukka in the summer are the little cabbage butterflies in the clover fields we stroll through. I doubt too many people get excited over them, but they make me smile each and every time I see them.
I love those little cabbage butterflies...and all the sulfurs! One year we caught a multiple-species mating flight of the sulfurs--there were about 4 different varieties, ranging in hue from yellow to two-toned orange/brown, plus the white of the cabbage butterflies...

Chico--do you know what type of swallowtail that is? I know we get eastern swallowtails, here, but that one seems to have longer tails...

Here's one of ours (some of them, the fems, I think, are black like the one you posted)

Name:  Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 6-10-05.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  92.0 KB

and another favorite, a fritillary:

Name:  Fritillary on coneflower 7-24-06.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  99.3 KB
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Half Way To Crazy

how in gods name do you get sooo close to get a picture of them
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
how in gods name do you get sooo close to get a picture of them
Don't know what your secret is, Chico, but I cheat! Zoom lens...

Macie, now, she has some skill at getting close:

Name:  Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie, Ace Butterfly Chaser in action 6-2-06.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  78.3 KB

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Me too,I zoom,but you can get pretty close to a butterfly,unlike birds..
Hazel I really do not know what kind The Swallowtail is,I don't know names,I only know I love them and they are beautiful.
My cats love to chase the little yellow ones we always have an abundance of,if I can I will stop them from eating them,it's mostly Vinnie who goes nuts over butterflies.
Awww,I cannot wait for spring,I just LOVE it
Here's another from a few summers ago..
Attached Images

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Half Way To Crazy

WOW these are picture perfect
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM

I am also entomology crazy! Maybe there should be an insect section on this forum!!! The black one is a Black Swallowtail that was in our garden last year.

Hazelrunpack - I think you are right and that yellow one is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail or perhaps a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail??? They are similar so hard to tell.
Attached Images

Last edited by SuperWanda; March 22nd, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Remembering Lukka

Oh, this is getting good. Who knew that so many of us share an insect interest as well.
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Ooooh,more butterfly-pics,LOVE them..
Maybe I should get a Butterfly-book..
I've been to the Niagara Butterfly place and we have a Butterfly Grden here in Oakville,down by the lake,but it's not much different than my own.
There is not many little living creatures I don't admire and am interested in,I've also been known to protect and watch spiders weaving their webs
There is only one insect,I can simply not abide by,gives me shivers just looking at it's pic,the only bad thing about summer,are these things in the house!!
Attached Images

Old March 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Remembering Lukka

Yea that is pretty ugly chico2, for me it's the june bugs.
I can't stand them.
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Remembering Lukka

Checking the Hamilton web cam! Very interesting to be able to see Madame X up so close. I can hardly wait for the nest to start. Winston will be able to watch the entire building of the nest and eggs hatching?
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes she is right across the street! I have internet at my desk at work so I can see he all day long! he he!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Remembering Lukka

How far away are we time wise from nest building. If it is going to happen will it be say within the next couple of weeks or are we a month or more away?
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well today she is showing some signs that she could be a just a few short weeks away. Usually around Easter we have the eggs! She will incubate the eggs for about 30-35 days and then we will see the little white fluffl balls...Then after that they change by the hour! It is so interesting to see the chicks born...then grow up...then fledge the nest! all within a short period of time! They generally leave the nest in July or August and hang out in the city until it is time to migrate!

Before that time you will see her like today spending time in the nest...digging around and cleaning it up! She tends to make her nest on the opposite site to the camera! Hope fully you wil be able to see her mate Surge! He is only 1/3 of her size! You can always tell the female from the male as the females are much larger than the males! However, Surge was her new mate as of last year so I am hoping to get a good look at the male this year to see if it is him! According to the web site they have not confirmed his identity yet!

Enjoy the addiction!!!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown