Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:13 PM

Homeopathic flea remedy for my cat

I have a 6 year old cat that is very sensitive and allergic to bees and other insects. She is losing the fur on her butt and is covered in scabs due to fleas. I flea comb her regularly but it doesn't seem to help much. I don't like to give her advantage because no matter where I put it she can like it off. Is there something more natural that I can give her to rid her of these fleas?
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats cannot lick the medication off if you put it low on the back of the neck, nearly between the shoulder blades - it's physically impossible.
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Try garlic

I have been told that garlic is a natural flea remedy and one that works at that. If you can somehow get her to eat garlic (maybe in a bit of canned food or tuna) try it and see how it works for her.
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:34 PM

homeopathic flea remedy

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Hi. There is a product made by Pure Pet called Pure O' Flee (click on it on the left hand site of their website). It is a blend of citrus and other safe products. I started using it on my dog that is allergic to mosquito bites and it worked well for that. It is made to repel fleas and ticks... I cannot say if it works for that because there are no fleas were I live. Give it a try, good luck.

Also, I would check if cats can have garlic.... I am not sure about it and it may be toxic to them.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 01:05 PM

Unfortunately, homeopathic or natural products don't work with fleas, they are amazingly resilient beasts. The best thing you can get is Frontline. This is a small liquid dose that is applied on the back of the neck and is absorbed very quickly, furthermore, the cat will not be able to lick it off. This is a very effective product and often only one dose is sufficient to get rid of all the fleas. Also, you'll have to treat your environmet by giving it a real good hoover to suck up flea eggs and them spraying with a suitable pesticide to prevent re-occurence of infestation. This is quite easy to do, most vets will stock a spray-can treatment that you can spray on your carpets and soft furnishings, generally this only has to be carried out once. Fleas can also transmit other parasites, such as worms, to your cat so it might be a wise idea to ask your vet to worm her.

My advice is not to waste your time and money (and prolong your cats' suffering) on "natural" products and try out the Frontline treatment.

Hope this helps.