Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 17th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Dog neutering and Calmness - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

I was researching Neutering for dogs yesterday for Jin. It seems hes at the point of his life right now where he likes to "do it" with things. He's been doing "it" with my leg and I tell him NO. I was reading an article and it says that when you Neuter a dog it will prevent hyperness etc because the hormones are making the dog restles. I was wondering If neutering is a big PART of training. Is this true? If you neuter a dog he will be calm? What are yalls experiences and opinions about this. How long did it take you to train a dog to SIT /w or w/o neuterig.
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Neutering will not change the basic temperment of your dog. It may calm him down. It probably won't help you with the leg humping though. Humping people and other dogs (not including females that are in heat) is a dominance issue, not a sex issue. You need to get this dog into a training class and soon.
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Teaching a dog to sit is not hard. Do not push down on his rump.

Get a treat. Put the dog's leash on and stand in front of him. Let him sniff the treat in your hand, but don't let him have it. Raise the treat up and back above his head. In order to follow your hand, he will raise his head and sit down. Just before he sits, say "Sit" and when he does, give the treat.

Agree you should get this dog into obedience school and get him neutered.
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:46 PM

Hmm training class. Im scared he wont like the other dogs and I thought I had to teach him the basics before we went to school so I could tell him to stop when hes doing bad things. ( To lucky THANKS FOR TEACHING ME THE ART OF SITTING, hes gettin the hang of it ) Does Pets Mart offer good training courses? And by the way, when im walking him after like 25 mins Jin just stops and doesnt want to go any further. I dont want to be mean and yank the leash hard to tell him we have to go. We were sitting in the same spot because Jinny didnt want to leave! How do I stop this bad habit of Jin just all of a sudden stoping and not going further. It was so late my dad had to drive us back home. Does Pets Mart offer good training courses? How do I stop Jins bad habit of just not wanting to walk or his adrupt stops? Hes fine most of the time but after a while he just stops.Does Pets Mart offer good training courses? Also Jin doesnt seem to know his name. He doesnt look over here when i say JIN. How do i tell Jin that THATS his name?
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Temperment is important to any training. And just as there are calm young boys that learn better because they can take information, versus wild young boys that bounce all over the classroom and can't take in the information, so it is with young dogs.

Admittedly, many young dogs that are neutered will learn better because the sex drive is vastly lowered. We neuter dogs to prevent unwanted offspring, and as a side benefit some of these dogs becaone calmer. But not all.

If advanced training is important to you (and certainly standard good manners are critical to being a good neighbor, but I consider this basic training), then having a reputable dog trainer consult is your next step. Temperment is the key.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM

He's asking for help and he's doing the best he can.

Jin, if you need any help w/getting training let me know. My offer still stands.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com