Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM

Smile Introducing Bunnies 2 one another?

I was just wondering when should I introduce my female bunny to my male bunny that I bought on August 29th. They both have there own cage to live in, I also would like to know if it is possible for the two of them to hop around the house at the same time? My male bunny is a Dwarf and so is my female the age between them is 5 days apart. So I was just wondering if now would be a good time to introduce them since they are the same breed and around the same age 5 days differents. Any help would be greatful thank you.
Mary
A.K.A Baby Bunny
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM

Ok at this time 6 of you people have read my post but no one has replied to it. I am wondering when would be best to introduce my to bunny to each othere can some one please reply to my post thank you.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:05 PM

I'll just point out that you waited a whole 3.5 hours on a holiday weekend for a response. A lot of members are away so be patient and perhaps someone with bunny experience will come along who can answer you.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM

First off I'd like to know how old your bunnies are? Dwarf bunnies are considered to me mature as early as four months of age which means that they can reproduce!
Or are they spayed and/or neutered?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:50 AM

both bunnies are 3 months old and no they are not spayed or neutered.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM

I read in the other post that you have about your bunnies that you do plan on breeding them. If so, then go nuts and start introducing them to each other slowly. Only have them together with parental supervision and when you're not home then they're in their in their respective cages.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM

How would I go about introducing them to each other?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM

Very slowly. Bunnies can seem like they are best friends one minute then attacking each other the next.
I'd start with their cages side by side so that they can see and smell each other but not physically be with each other. If that seems well (no signs of aggression) then you can let them out to play but only when someone is watching them closely. Rabbits can be hard to socialize, especially with new rabbits (ie not litter mates). Just take it really slow and like I said, never leave them alone together for now.
Take baby steps and don't force it. Good luck and I hope that there is a love connection!
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:06 AM

I will take it really slowly and I will start by putting their cages beside one and other and see how that goes, how long would you say to do that for?
I think I'll do that later to day since it is Monday morning here where I am it is like 1:05 am.Wish me luck I'll let you know how things turn out.
Mary (a.k.a. Babybunny)
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:53 PM

RVT092481, I thought I'd tell you that on Friday Sept the 8th, I let my bunnies play in their playpen and it was divided up and Candice thought that she would hop over to introduce herself to JC and man was I pleased with her and JC they did not fight nore did they try to mate with each other, my husband told me to leave them in the playpen together and see what happens so I did so and I did not move to go to the washroom or to make dinner for my children I stayed there and watched to make sure that the bunnies were ok with each other and when I did have to use the ladies room I call my husband to come keep an eye on the bunnies. Saturday Ilet the bunnies play together again and they were fine once again I let them play together for 30 minutes on Saturday and I watched them the whole time they were together and then there is today Sunday I let them play again together for more then an hour and I am pleased to tell you that they are the best of friends and I will post pictures some time soon of the two of them playing together. I would like thank you for all your help in introducing my bunns together RVT092481. Thank you So Much
Mary
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:14 PM

I'm glad that they get along so well. You just never know with bunnies, it can be hit or miss. I'm glad that they became quick friends.
I love bunnies, I have a passion for them! I can never turn one away when it comes into my clinic. Any further questions, I'll help you with whatever I can!
Old September 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Hello there, I'm sorry you feel that I am breeding my rabbit for the fun of things and that I should leave it to the Pros I'm not breeding my rabbits I was just asking if anyone knew how to make a nest box, my rabbits are beside one an other in their own cages and that is as close as they are to one an other they don't even play together for I am not wantting any babies both my bunnies I feel are to young to breed. I'm sorry you feel that I am breeding my bunnies for the fun of breeding.

Last edited by erykah1310; September 10th, 2006 at 09:07 PM.