Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 21st, 2004, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

question

When is the best time to switch from kitten food to cat food?

I can't remember when I switched Phoenix to adult.She's 2 1/2.

I must be old if I can't rmember.

The reason I ask is Casper will be 6 months.

Thanks guys
Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:38 AM
Chocolate

hawow!

I believe...... it's around a year or so.

I stopped CHocolate from puppy food around 9-11 months (definitely under a year anyhow). meanwhile the cats stayed longer... I spoke w my vets. I was also taking note of their body mass... easier to tell if you've got two running around, I must say.

LOL. monitoring who steals who's food....
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I kept Yukon and Tron on it till they were a year.

I just can't remember about Phoenix.....

I'll keep Casper on it for a while longer.I guess I should have asked the vet when Casper was there for his rabies at 4 months.

Thanks wAggie.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:55 PM
Chocolate

ANy time
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Mona, I switch from kitten to adult in between six and nine months. You just have to look at the kitten. If he is a good weight and healthy, start mixing in adult food. If he seems to eat more or lose weight, stick with the kitten food a while longer. Staying on kitten food is not a bad thing (like keeping a kid on formula), but it can put on weight and is more expensive. Just my opinion and experience, but I hope I helped!
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank You.

He is very healthy and at the right weight.He was at the vets last month.He'll be 6 months on the first.I still feed him 3 times a day.And he has his dry when he gets the munchies..LOL

He's not a piggy with his dry.And I don't fill it up.

The funny thingis,and my daughter makes fun of him with this.His tummy is flubby.What I mean is,when he's standing,it hangs a bit.I noticed that when he was about 4 months old.

Here is a pic of him.....He was sleeping.....As usual.LOL
Attached Images

Old February 27th, 2004, 02:54 PM

He's gorgeous. The flub you referred to, that's his skirt! Like jowels, males tend to get skirts when they start putting on excess weight. Some females do this too, but I've seen it more in males. I'm assuming you've had or will have him altered - that's going to help him develop a really nice skirt, lol. Its nothing to worry about, but since he's obviously fine weight-wise, I'd start mixing in adult food and getting rid of the kitten food.

And tell your daughter not to make too much fun of him, its going to hurt his feelings. One of my boys has a skirt and his owner called me the other to let me know how they were doing. They make fun of his skirt and he knows it and it hurts his feelings and he goes and hides. LMAO.
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you.

Yup he's fixed.We adopted him fron the SPCA when he was 8 weeks.With our SPCA,they alter the animals before you take them home.

My other male I had for 13 years had that "skirt"..LOL

Well as for hurting his feeling,doubt that.Our little Casper is deaf.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:00 PM

I'm so sorry that he's deaf, I don't have any experience with deaf cats. Is this the first deaf cat you've had. I raise Abyssinians and as talkative as they are, I sometimes wish I was deaf !
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,he is our fist deaf kitty....It is a challenge though.

I realized he was deaf about a week or so after we got him.He wasn't responding to any noises or even when we were calling him.He was on my daughters bed sleeping,I went in and clapped real hard by him.He didn't flinch.He had his back toward me in the kitchen.I banged some pots.Still nothing.

Then I did a search on the net.All of them said that White cats with blue eyes are prone prone to be deaf.

He has these amazing ice blue eyes.

If he can't see you or you are in another room,he will sit there and cry.And I mean loud...Then we have to see where he is to get his attention.

The only problem we are having with him is his attacking and biting....And I mean he gets a hold of you and bites...And it's the full attack...You can be sitting on the couch and he will look at you,head cocked and ears back....Then he goes for the kill....
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Huh. That's all I've got....huh.

Let me think about the attack cat thing. Ok, he's obviously mimicking hunting, but I don't know why. Do you think he is trying to get you to play with him, like out of boredom? A laser pointer is a wonderful way to wear their furry little butts out and you never even have to move. Also, when mine start stalking each other and play fighting, I put on their DVD. (Yes my cats have their own movie and I'm not ashamed to admit it!) Its called Video Catnip and is two hours long. They love chasing the birds and squirrels and helps them get over the need to stalk my legs and each other.
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I don't think he's bored at all.We are always playing with him.We have the laser pointer.He loves that.

He loves to sit in front of the t.v and watch hockey.He goes after the players.It's hilarious.

Cat nip has no effect on him.He sniffs it and walks away.

He is so very loveable when he gets up from a sleep.

He purrs and he loves to give us kisses.

It's just he gets into his attack mood.It took 20 mins for the vet to settle him down when he went for his needles.He was going after the vet.

We also have 2 dogs...They seem to get fed up with him at times.
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Huh, let me think about it. Other than the obvious 'hopefully he'll grow out of it' I'll try to think of a better answer/solution. Its Friday and I'm not thinking clearly, lol.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL......I hear you.....It's migrain time for me.

Well what we have been doing is when he gets this way we give him his favorite stuffed duckie....Works for a while.

He has also been given some time outs...It does work...But then he starts again....

So if you can think of anything,I would appreciate it.

We where actually thinking about adopting another one.A female around the same age.

It's just a thought though.....Daughter doesn't like the thought of cleaning more poop.....LOL

She'll be 17 soon.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM

Another kitten may help, but I think you'd want to make sure she's about the same size as Casper because I have a hunch that Casper will want to be Alpha. And if she's much smaller than him, he may hurt her.

PS For training my cats, I like to use water bottles. They get mad at the water, not me. (Except for the one who stands there and opens her mouth....) Don't know if you have tried that or not.

I'll keep thinking!
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah we were thinking the same age.

As for the water bottle,tried that.

Casper LOVES water.He will hop in the shower with you.Or jump in the tub when you are having a bath.LOL

IF we decide to get another,we would definately be bringing Casper to the SPCA so he can meet her and have some time with her.That's the good thing about our SPCA,they want you to bring in the cat/kitten dog/pup so you can introduce them.And let them spend time together.

I tell you,I never had any problems like this when my other cats were kittens.
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Mona,Aggie2 I know you have already seen this,but here's Vinnie my one blue-eye wonder
Attached Images

Old February 27th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't even remember when I switched Vinnie from kitten-food,he always kind of sucked up the food,as if each meal was his last..probably has to do with the way he was found..
I really have to watch him,because he's getting a big "skirt"
He would eat,Rockys and Chico's food too if I let him ,ofcourse the dry food is in a common dish,but they get three dishes of wet food and Vinnie would love to eat them all.....
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

chico he is beautiful...

I remember the one pic you posted.He was sitting and looking at the camera.And you can see the 2 different coloured eyes.That's when I asked you if he was deaf.

I still love they saying "skirt".LOL

Well Casper isn't chunky or anything.He's at a great weight for a 5 month old.

Now I don't feel bad,i'm not the only one with a "skirt in this house. .....LOL

Mine is a reminder of giving birth almost 17 years ago....LOL
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Chocolate

lol @ all these cute