Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Angry Pet Store and the Niagara Region-Mills

We have a Petstore in St.Catharines that sells weird cross breeds. I went in the other day, and could barely stop myself from buying them all. They looked so miserable with matted fir, in tiny cages! It was gross. The trainer who trained Sheriff said she's had a lot of Puppies from there who have had to be put down due to terrible health problems, and serious mental issues. Also, a friend of mine recently bought a small dog from a Petstore in the Beamsville/Grimsby area. She insists the puppy came from a breeder in Smithville and the petstore owner said she could go there and meet the parents of her dog. She could also pay (a huge) extra fee for her dog's pedigree and CKC papers ( ) She chose not to get them. But this seems really strange to me. She also said that the petstore said they get a lot of their dogs from "Menonite Farm Kennels" I don't know what that means, but she said there are a ton of them (again according to the petshop owner) in Niagara and Smithville. ANy ideas about this? Anyone? How do I stop Pet store from selling these poor puppies? (let alone cats, reptiles, rodents, birds and fish!!)

Last edited by Sheriffmom; September 14th, 2004 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Trying not to target a specific pet store, as all are bad... not just the one mentioned
Old September 4th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
"Menonite Farm Kennels"
These are puppy MILLS, and as you see, the animals are kept in dreadful conditions.

Ontario now has laws against these kinds of abuses.

You need to call the Ontario SPCA and report this. They have a special section dealing with mills. The only way to stop these people is to keep reporting them and take away the profits they make from this suffering.
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:40 PM

I am writing back to the post that has made some accussations about Petland. I am a certified Petcouncellor...which means I went through almost 2 weeks training to get to were I am, and I am still not finished. I work at the Limeridge mall location in Hamilton, our owner also owns the one in St. Kitts. I jsut want to make a couple of things clear. One, we never get our puppies from puppy mills...they essentially do not exist in Ontario anymore because of strict laws. We get our dogs from reputile and local breeders.. If there happens to be a problem, we never go back. Two, it is a myth about putting our dogs to sleep becaue of "poor health" and "mental health". Our dogs are backed by a one year warranty/guranetee. If there is a mental health issue with the dog...look at the owner. 9 times out of 10, it is becasue the owner did not take sufficant time and care to properly care or love the animal. I am an owner of 1 dog (chow) and 4 cats...I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to training...Peaches could have turned out very aggressive, instead we gave her love, and treated her like one of us...They become your family. She is the best thing that could have ever happened to us.

Petland stands by all our animals...whatever it may be, and we guarentee all of them...Find another petstore that does that. Oh, one more thing, we also received regonition for being one of the cleanest and dependable petstores in Ontario. The most highest award to receive. If you are unhappy with the way the puppies are being kept in kennals...remember, kennaling a dog while in the store, for one keeps them in place (where else are we going to put 30 dogs?) and two, helps make training easier for when you take your new baby home. Next time, really do the research before you make allogations,

Thank you for your time
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

hi petcouncilor,
thank you for your post, it is rare that we ever get an opinion from the 'other side of the fence' so to speak and it was very much appreciated. it gives alot more food for thought. again thank you
Old September 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

PetCounsellor, have you ever personally gone to tour the breeders facilities?
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

What exactly does a pet counselor do?

Puppy mills do exist in Ontario. It is a huge problem in both Canada and the U.S. If you honestly think that the puppies you sell are born in someone's kitchen and raised by a lovely family before they come to you, then you need to do a little bit of research.
Old September 13th, 2004, 09:14 PM

PetCouncellor, I'm very sorry but I'm having a hard time taking you seriously. First of all, two weeks' training is hardly a very long time to be considered an expert in any field. Secondly, I sincerely doubt a large company like Petland would thank you for coming onto a board like this to make such a public statement in their defence. They usually have PR people to deal with these things. If they are truly concerned about the "allegations" being made against them, I'm sure they would have contacted the original poster in a more professional and legal manner. Lastly, for anyone to suggest that there is no such thing as puppy mills in Ontario solidifies the impression in my mind that the person doesn't have a clue. Sorry, but that's the opinion with which your post left me.
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Petland Puppymills

I love animals and was thrilled to start working at a petstore similar to Petland. Here in New Brunswick we have Pets Unlimited. There were rumours of the puppies coming from puppy mills etc. but I was told by our manager that a buyer personally inspects each breeders home etc. Taking his word for it I championed the company but then I found out that anyone can sell puppies to them for $300.00 per puppy. So the pet store buys a mutt that is bred in a backyard by people who have not taken the necessary steps to ensure a top quality family pet (both mentally and physically) so that little Billy and Suzy can see the family dog have puppies as a "learning experience" and make a few bucks as they do it - then the pet store re-sells the puppies who are too young to be away from their mothers for $1000.00 +. If the breeders were reputable (and concerned for the puppies themselves) the puppies would come registered and to pre-approved homes only. Not everyone who walks through the doors of a pet store should be able to own a pet. A pet is for life and unfortunately most people who buy an animal at a pet store do so on impulse or from pressure from the kids who are crying about "I love that puppy - he is so cute - I want that puppy - I will take care of it" but we all know about the not so cute dog who gets dropped off at the pound because of "allergies or we are moving" when it is really "he is too big, messes on the floor or we don't have time for a dog". I quit working at Pets Unlimited and I refuse to shop there because I cannot condone irresponsible breeding of animals on one hand and then foster homeless animals on the other. Also, FYI there are thousands of puppy mills in Ontario alone. Just because there are strict rules/regulations does not mean that there are none. Research them, become informed and read the statistics on pet overpopulation. Petstore demand + puppymill puppies = overcrowded shelters. There is a direct link to that equation and the more that you read about it the more you will understand how little 2 weeks of training has accomplished.
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Petcouncillor,
I appreciate your dedication to your job and your employer. However, you are sadly mis-informed. There ARE tonnes of BYB and Puppymills in Ontario. There are also plenty in the Niagara/Hamilton area. Call your local SPCA, ask them. Also, ask around find a few reputable breeders (maybe Luba or another member could give you some names and #'s), call them and ask if they would ever sell their dogs to a petstore.... any petstore. Ask those breeders what type of requirements they have for selling a dog to someone. Are they the same requirement that your petstore uses when someone wants to buy one of your dogs? Why are the dogs at pet stores not registered? Call the CKC ask them. It seems you've been given one side of the story, and believed it. Do some research for yourself, prove to yourself that what we've said isn't true. Get some facts, talk to some experts, then see if your opinion is the same.
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:49 AM
banned user

Quote:
If the breeders were reputable (and concerned for the puppies themselves) the puppies would come registered and to pre-approved homes only. Not everyone who walks through the doors of a pet store should be able to own a pet.
That says so much!!!
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Gotta agree with everything posted. Mills are rampant, "buying" an animal from ANY petstore is contributing to the problem of animal overpopulation and two weeks training is not enough to be deemed an expert (not that you called yourself one of course, I just feel it was inferred).

The only source of animals for people right now should be pounds and rescues. Once almost every homeless pet out there finds a family, then we can talk about other options.

Dee
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Here's a link to Petland's web site, and a brief description of their pet counsellors and what they do.
http://www.petland.com/PTLpgs/aboutp...ml#healthypets
I'm e-mailing them to ask how they can justify selling puppies when they are supposedly dedicated to eradicating the pet overpopulation crisis. I'll let you know what kind of reply I get.
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Pet Councillor,
When you go to www.ospca.on.ca go to the section for "Press releases". Click on the section "Sept. 10 2004". Then click on images. There are 2 Ontario Puppymills that were closed down recently. ***WARNING there are VERY graphic pictures of the puppies.***
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:39 PM

You may also want to check out www.nopuppymillscanada.ca check out "How much is that Doggie in the window"- 10 reasons to avoid pet shops.
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

this is my opinion and observations only, i am not looking for any replies or comments about my own opinion, i would just like to mention what i see and hopefully get ppl thinking about behaviour-

just an observation, but reading some of the above post there is quite an undertone of meaness or nastiness that is really not necessarry. petcouncilor was giving an opinion, and i apreciate that, at least this is not totally onesided thread to an extent and i thought sharing info and opinions was how we all move foreward and learn..why not try and eductate the person rather than pointlessly attacking, sounds like a sensible option.

but with the tone of this thread i doubt petcouncilor will come back and i dont blame them, why bother answering questions that are not really questions at all but just ppls opertunity to have a go and put in a few below the belt.

petcouncilor was giving an opinion of their work place and practice, they did not 'infer they were an expert' or anything else. also comments like the 'person does not have a clue' is not helpful, its actually quite below the belt really. i dont thnk this tone is helpful and it does not achieve anything other than hurting ppls feelings, being derogatory and down right mean and nasty, its sad to see and very disapointing..
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:20 PM

I did infer that she was indicating she was an expert. That fact is indisputable because were talking about my impression and my opinion on my impression.

Also, I don't see the meanness you're referring to. Not in this thread atleast. The person's facts were way off base and inaccurate and that serious lack of validity was pointed out. Thank God actually lest someone new to the animal scene come here and think that the mill problem in Ontario is over. Now THAT would be horrific.

But again, i've seen this type of post so many times before. You're entitled to your opinion. I personally feel its a bit over sensitive, but likewise i'm entitled to mine.

*throws two pennies on the table*

Dee
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Melanie, I respectfully disagree. I re-read this person's post several times before replying. What I perceived from their tone (and again, this is obviously only my opinion) was that they are a "certified pet counsellor" and therefore know more than we do about the goings on in a pet store. Also, he/she indicated that 9 times out of 10, the blame for any behavioural issues should be laid with the new owners. Now who is making unfounded accusations? I'm sorry, but I read the tone of this post to be "you people don't know what you're talking about, I know more than you do, and if you have a problem with our puppies, it's your own fault.". I could very well be mistaken - after all, we lose so much of the meaning behind the words when we can't hear the inflections of voice. But that is how I felt at the time I made my post.