Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 19th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Taking your dog to Paris (in cabin)

I tried searching for any threads on taking your dog to Europe and couldn't find any, so.....

I'm looking to hear from anyone who has actually flown with their dog to any European Union country. We are going to France for a month in June/July and are not able to find a suitable sitter for our 5.5 pound Yorkie.

Bailey has had plenty of flying experience in his short 11.5 months and does very well on longer flights. I just want to make sure I know all the ins and outs of documentation. For his flight from Hamilton to Mexico, it was rather straight forward and his health certificate did not need an endorsement from Canada Food Inspection Agency. I can't seem to confirm if he does need that for Europe.

I would love to hear from anyone who has actually taken their dog to any EU country!

Thanks,
Kevin
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM

I haven't taken my dog to an EU country, but I do know that they must be microchipped. I looked into taking my dog to Italy when I went for a semester, but decided against it in the end.

Good luck with getting more information from someone with more experience

Also, this link may help: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...m_third_en.htm
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
I haven't taken my dog to an EU country, but I do know that they must be microchipped. I looked into taking my dog to Italy when I went for a semester, but decided against it in the end.

Good luck with getting more information from someone with more experience

Also, this link may help: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...m_third_en.htm
Yes, he is microchipped and surprisingly, his microchip is the correct 15 digit number that the EU ISO standard scanners require!

Thanks,
Kevin
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

The very first thing I would do would be to look for the requirements of pets being imported into the country.

The UK for example has an AUTOMATIC quarantine that lasts 3-6 months I believe. You want to be 1 million % sure of France's requirements.
Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM

Hi Marko,

The good news for anyone thinking about taking their pet to the UK, it is now possible without quarantine for pets from Canada. Here's the link.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ets/countries/

France is also no problem as long as health cert/ISO microchip/rabies shot is all there. I still have not been able to verify if it is necessary to get the vet health cert certified by the CFIA, so still hoping to hear from anyone who has taken their pet to the EU in the past few years.

Kevin
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Just a follow up on travelling with a dog in cabin to France and Europe in general....

We had no problems at all flying from Toronto to Paris, France. In fact, when you arrive in Paris, there is NO customs! We were so amazed, we went in search of a customs official and when we finally found one, we told him we have a dog. He said "that's nice". We then asked if he'd like to see our EU health certificate (which our vet charged us $330 to fill out, along with the $20 CFIA endorsement fee), and he said "that's fine".

That being said, we later flew from Rome to Athens and the airline check in people did ask for the documentation, as did the Santorini and Athens airport check in staff.

All in all, it was an easy process and great to have our dog with us as we travelled around Europe for 5 weeks.
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyTheYorkie View Post
Just a follow up on travelling with a dog in cabin to France and Europe in general....

We had no problems at all flying from Toronto to Paris, France. In fact, when you arrive in Paris, there is NO customs! We were so amazed, we went in search of a customs official and when we finally found one, we told him we have a dog. He said "that's nice". We then asked if he'd like to see our EU health certificate (which our vet charged us $330 to fill out, along with the $20 CFIA endorsement fee), and he said "that's fine".

That being said, we later flew from Rome to Athens and the airline check in people did ask for the documentation, as did the Santorini and Athens airport check in staff.

All in all, it was an easy process and great to have our dog with us as we travelled around Europe for 5 weeks.
I wanted to go to Mexico and bring my dog but he would had to go into quarantine for longer than I was going to stay there.
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I'm confused by your message. There is no quarantine of dog when travelling to Mexico. I flew my dog in cabin last winter for 6 months stay, and I'll be doing it again Nov. 1 this year.

Did someone tell you there is a quarantine policy in Mexico?
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks for letting is know of this rule change BaileyTheYorkie
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:44 AM

I wish I could travel with my dog. She really like when I take her out in my car. I haven't traveled much with my dog. Paris is where I love to go too, but with my dog... I don't know how is it possible.