Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Cat jumped into tray of oil

Hey all,
My cat jumped into a tray of car oil earlier today..
i immediatly tried to clean her with soap and water and got a lot of the oil off but im concerned if she lickes herself she might get sick.
Should i shampoo her or do you have any other suggestions?
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Dove or Ivory dish soap works well (don't use anything else). Mix a SMALL amount in a large amount of water, and wash as is. Using too much soap will result in kitty being called "bubbles" for quite a long time.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Or Dawn... When they have oil spills, they supposedly use Dawn dish soap to get it all off...
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Frankly, I think you should take your cat to the vet, either to have her sedated and washed properly, or maybe even shaved completely. I once found a cat that local boys had doused in gasoline, and took her to my vet and he sedated her and shaved her, as it is difficult to get a cat to stop grooming, and petroleum products are not very good for them. Your vet may have a groomer who can help. In the meantime, unless your cat is very sedate, you may not be able to really shampoo her properly enough to get the oil off of her. If you have one of those 'lampshade things' (I forget what you call them but those plastic things that go around her neck that will keep your cat from grooming) I'd put one on.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Or Dawn... When they have oil spills, they supposedly use Dawn dish soap to get it all off...
DAWN!! I couldn't remember which one the commercial advertised. lol!

When my cat was a kitten, she used to escape and roll in fresh oil puddles from under cars (I guess she likes the warmth). She was black and white, but there were MANY times she would come back into the house with her 7 brothers and sisters, and the only way I could recognise her as my cat was the little black paw prints. lol

We used Ivory.
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

DAWN!!!!! Prin is ruight - get some Dawn and give her a good bath anf a doog drying with that! Don't let her lick the other soap or oil!!!! If she does not like baths or has not had one, get someone to help you since some cats can be very upset - to put it mildly - when geting a bath. Put a warm water in and then place her in it. Don't run the water after - have some already ready so you can rinse her off. Then place her in a towel and you can set your hair dryer on low while she is still in the dryer . If it scares her tho, stop!! Mine Sphynx Girls -who need a bath once a week due to getting oil on their skin - require weekly baths - and they don't mind the hair dryer and in fact rather like the heat but they may be an exception. I usually use a large bath towel and then pyut them in a fleece blanket until they are warmed up enough to get into one of their sweaters. (it is obviously differennt for my cats with hair tho - for one thing, they rarely need baths but in the few occasuons they have had them, I follow the same procedure usually. Don;t het andy water in her eyes!! And talk gently to her as you bath her and give her a nice treat when it is over!
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally my cat,i would take to vet just to be safe,so how is she now?? And yep dawn is the stuff to use..
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

For some reasn, my brain was somewhere else when I 1st read this and I was not thinking oil as in etroleum products - I was thinking oil but not sure what kind. Sardine or salmon oil or something - I live in a fishing area, what can I say?? (sigh!)One of those days!!!

When I think of oil, I think of benzene which is one its key components and one of the worst carcinogens. It does not affect uis so much when driving - tho the pollution certainly adds up - but yeah, if one of my cata rolled in petroleum type oil, she'd be at the vet! I'd prpb give her a bath too and wrap her in a twoel so she could not get at her fur but thyat means holding her all night or immobiklilizing the kitty.

Even these are of concern - from peer reviwed tests:

There have been cases of poisoning resulting from a single drop of an essential oil on their paws or belly, or diffusing them in the area where the litter box was located. Often the reaction was considered a "mystery poisoning" and the toxic agent was not readily identified. Many cat products now contain Tea Tree oil: shampoos, coat sprays, 'antiseptic' wipes, ear cleaners, rechargeable flea collars and herbal dips. Some are simply labelled as "herbal oils".

Essential oils which contain phenols are particularly toxic to cats and cause liver damage. These include Oregano, Thyme, Eucalyptus, Clove, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf, Parsley and Savory

Essential oils which contain ketones cause neurological symptoms. These include: Cedar Leaf*, Sage*, Hyssop*, Cyprus*, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Mint ,Caraway*, Citronella ,Clove*, Ginger*, Chamomile, Thyme and Rosemary (those marked * give particular cause for concern).

Anyway - sans going on at any length, get your cat to a vet ASAP!!!!!! (sorry I duid not read that 1st post more carefully - I was multitsaking, sigh!! But that's no excuse!!)
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

dawn!!! hope your little one is ok!!!!! brenda and the pins