Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 19th, 2014, 01:03 AM

my kitten, Oscar has a hard time defecating.. I need advice

So my kittwn Oscar is about 8 weeks or possibly a little bit older, I got him from a family friends litter. When we got him I noticed he had trouble pooping.. just kinda went wherever and it always got stuck to his bum.. after a few days I took him to the emergency vet.. they told me he has worms.. so we treated him for that.. he got diarhea.. and a few days later ended up being constipated.. I just figured the issues would pass.. but they didn't.. so I took him to the vet.. and he had lost a lot of weight... so they did a x ray.. and found out his stomache/colon were really backed up. My vet said he may have nerve damage and have trouble getting poop out... so they removed the back up with forceps and enimas. . she gave us the option to put him down.. or put him on a special diet with meds.. to soften his stool. I'm so worried it's going to get backed upp... and I'm gonna have to put my baby down. This happened to anyone else's kitten ?
Old October 19th, 2014, 06:16 AM

Give it some time. Constipation could just be reaction to the deworming medicine.
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm with Hazmat - give it a bit of time. Putting a cat down for this reason would never ever be an option for me.

One of our cats has regular bouts of constipation - 1/2 teaspoon of baby food prunes helps big time.

Also Canned pumpkin can help with constipation in cats and dogs. Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you look up the side effects of the meds , I would not be surprise if it cause constipation . You could try adding a little water to the food to increase the kitten water intake . I would not put the kitten down for being
constipated. My dog was impacted when I got him it never cross my mind to kill him.
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:19 PM

He was like dangerously impacted. Like way past where it was supposed to be. The vet was the one who said to put him down.
Old October 19th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs360 View Post
He was like dangerously impacted. Like way past where it was supposed to be. The vet was the one who said to put him down.
My dog was like that too ,I saw his x ray and he was totally blocked up , but the vet did not say I should put him to sleep . I wonder why a vet would say that you . How is your kitty doing tonight ?
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:13 PM

He's gone poop.. still not totally normal.. but he doesn't seem to be in pain. He does sleep like all day though. But I heard most kitten do
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:52 AM

re Kitty constipation

Could be dehydration. Or probably is. After diarrea, loss of fluid & I think a wormer has potential of giving dehydration. If I use some dry food I place a bit of water in too. But Can food should be making hime 'Go" well. I give my cats watery milk for hydration. Vets say some cats can't have because of lactose but you can buy Lactose free milk. Yes, try some cooked mashed pumpkin in food. And Bran about 1tspn is safe, or Psyllium, which needs some fluid mixed with as it goes to a gel. That Vet is terrible giving up. Vets usually do a dehydration test on Cat's necks. Pull skin up. Did you use a good Wormer that is an All-Wormer (like Drontel tab), which kills tapeworms as well as the others? Sometimes you need to be patient & give tiny bits in food. Profender onto back of neck is only 'spotter' I would use. Hope pussy is on the mend. Don't use Paraffin oil they can get lung aspiration. Hope he/she is drinking on his own. I'd get another Vet. I'd like to know if improves.

Tags
cat health diarh