Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Thank you - Heros big and small

Old November 25th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Also, if your shelter wont take the food (they wont here, they are sponsored and all dogs are on the same food) you can give the food to your local food bank!

I was just volunteering there the other day and they can definatly use it also!
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
ah ok! makes sense....

question: what do stores do with all those "past expiry date" bags of cat and dog food?
I know the animal food store here trow the expire food in the garbage. Last year they offered me some (they know I foster,got dogs from some of their customers and help to replace the non goldens ones :sad: ) the food was kept in a cold storage and had been expired for just a couple of days,so still good . BUT , I did not want it and told them some of my dogs were allergic to chicken food ( wich is true) but I did bring the bags home ( about 12 bags,16 pounds ones ) and gave them to a woman in my area who runs her own personal rescue.
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Boxer slobber kitty freak

omg

Oh my gosh,
That is an excellent idea. As also with cleaner or anything else the shelters need. AWESOME!!!
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Nice work everyone!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

The local store near me also will give me almost expired food. They just cut the bar code (think they get refunded, not sure though ) and I immediately put it in the freezer until someone is in need. It's great. The same store donates all the cat food to the local cat rescue, bags and bags and it's all the good stuff
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Furball Farmer

Another great idea you guys should look into is ask any store that sells dog food to set aside any ripped or damaged bags for you to donate to a shelter.

I work with a rescue society here where I live and we have all sorts of stores even from surrounding towns that give us damaged bags of food,because lots of times they come off the freight truck damaged and they can't put them on the shelves so they leave them in the back of the store and I know one place where employees buy these bags of food for a discounted price.

Also the same for veggies, I used to get tons of veggies for my guinea pig and rabbit for free from the local grocery store just because they were expired, and there was nothing wrong with them!

There is so many things people can do to help, I just wish more people would!!
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Flyball Mom

I'm pretty sure some of the pet stores donate expired food.

But seeing that we are talking about food here I need to mention something I witnessed today. I was grocery shopping and at the checkout I hear this woman say "I knew it was in the $10 range, but didn't think it was $10.99!" I looked over and the item she was talking about was dog food, not a small 4lb bag, but a 30lb bag. Felt like saying "Wow, eleven bucks for dog food, go figure, I must be dumb cuz my dog's food is six times the amount. Am I getting ripped off? Oh, wait, maybe it's because I'm not ignorant about her health!" Dog Chow, it pisses me off!!!!! Had to rant.

Back to your regularly scheduled program of bowing to Prin.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me

Last edited by Byrd; January 20th, 2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM

Great job everyone and excellent ideas . When I worked in a clinic I did the ordering and whenever we had damaged bags or food that just expired or was about too we would just put it somewhere. I thought is was dumb so I asked one of our reps and they said dry food is good for 6mts past the expiry date and canned is good for about a year. Then she told us to put all the bar codes in an envelope and send it to headquarters and they would reimburse us and we could do what we wanted with the food so of course we gave it away to the local shelter and to clients who needed it. Just an idea to add to those who are tight with their vets or work in a clinic.